What is the better sugar substitute?

Options
I rarely add sugar to my food, but I need my coffee in the am, and I put cream and sugar in it. Is there a big difference between a few teaspoons of sugar vs all the substitutes out there? Is Splena better? sweet n low? I get confused as to what is out there now adays and what is the healthier option. Thanks for any input.

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Honestly unless you take in tons of sugar all day, a teaspoon of sugar isn't going to do much harm at all.

I either use raw cane sugar or honey if I use anything.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    3 teaspoons of sugar has about 50 calories. I just eat the sugar myself and account for it.

However, "best" depends on your criteria and opinion. For no calorie alternatives, I think splenda is decent.
  • camiah
    camiah Posts: 146
    Options
    I'd just eat the sugar calories. But if you don't want to, I've heard Splenda tastes the most like sugar, since it is derived from sugar.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    For me, Truvia tastes the best. I used to use Splenda till I tried it. Try them both and see what you prefer.
  • VintagElana
    VintagElana Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Truvia
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered myself. I have no idea how it compares to sugar but have you tried agave nectar? It's supposed to be a good alternative to sugar but I haven't done the comparison. I can skip sugar in all things but coffee, as well!
  • ruthmiriam
    ruthmiriam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hate sugar substitutes, I just gradually reduced how much sugar I put in my coffee. Now down to about a teaspoon, which only has about 15 calories, not much in the big picture of things.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I use stevia. Just a tiny pinch or else it tastes like crap.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Honestly unless you take in tons of sugar all day, a teaspoon of sugar isn't going to do much harm at all.

I either use raw cane sugar or honey if I use anything.

I WANT MY SUGAR!!!!....i don't want fake crap, i want sugar, good honest sugar....i'll make up for it elsewhere,...I need artificial crap simply because i can't control my sugar intake...really....c'mon, just gimme the sugar....now where did i put my Sour Patch Kids!!!
  • bsgkid
    bsgkid Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've heard of Splenda, Nutrasweet, and Sweet-N-Low all having side effects and they are artificially created. I use Stevia. It has a tad of an aftertaste, but at least it is plant derived. There's probably something wrong with it, too, but for me it is the lesser of evils.
  • Dragonflybjm63
    Options
    If there is a need for sugar in my drink i'll use it. Mainly because i'm trying to keep my food plan as natural as possible to contribute to getting my body healthy.
    If having a tspn of sugar in your cuppa makes you satified then rather that than craving a sweet snack later in the day.
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Try honey.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I love Splenda, it goes in my coffee, tea, and cereal. But if you are only using a teaspoon of sugar in your coffee (16 cal) I wouldn't sweat it. :drinker:
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Can you not get fructose there?

Its sweeter than sucrose and supposedly better for you.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I use Splenda in my coffee.

I don't like Truvia.
  • HopeytheHopester
    HopeytheHopester Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    brown sugar's definently better but try splenda
  • JenniferRT66
    JenniferRT66 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, Bolthouse Farms has a coffee drink called Mocha Cappuccino. It used to be sweetened with apple juice! You never even tasted the apple juice. As a cold iced coffee drink, I drank it all the time. I noticed in May 2011 that they started sweetening it with cane sugar and agave nectar. I have no idea why they switched it - so many people loved it sweetened with apple juice. I have it now and again, but dropped my consumption of it considerably. I didn't want 27g sugar in an 8 oz serving. I was OK with it when it was apple juice, but sadly no more.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love, love splenda!!! I love the Brown sugar splenda too!!! My fav!!!!
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Instead of dumping chemicals into your coffee, try retraining your palette instead.

I've been a hopeless caffeine addict for years. I stopped putting sugar in my coffee about 15 years ago because I was getting way to many cavities. Every time I went to the dentist, they'd find a new one. So, I started drinking my coffee without sugar. It was tough at first. It took a couple weeks to get used to. Now, I can't stand sugar in my coffee. Oh, and I get a lot fewer cavities.
  • Magnamus
    Magnamus Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Try grinding whole coffee beans (premium medium roast) fresh when making a pot of coffee, drink it black in the AM.
    After a week of drinking your coffee like this, you'll never want cream or sugar (or any other sweetener) to contaminate your coffee again.