Who's training for a marathon????

Options
Me too! Looking to add some people for discussion as I work towads marathon #2.

Replies

• abeautifulmess
    abeautifulmess Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm working up towards my first half! Slowly but surely :P I'm no natural runner.
  • iconnor
    iconnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon this Oct! It'll be my first marathon!
  • lkcostello
    lkcostello Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I ran the MCM twice. My daughter is now training for this year's marathon. She is on MFP also. Maybe she'll jump on here. Good luck to you all.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    I'm working up towards my first half! Slowly but surely :P I'm no natural runner.

Me too! I have been doing 5ks for almost 2 years so I decided to try for a half marathon! Good luck:drinker:
  • leslie0422
    leslie0422 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've been running 5K's for about 6 months and I'm running about 5-6 miles several times per week usually on a treadmill. I'm thinking of registering for the Georgia Marathon that is next March. I think I have plenty of time to train but I'm still a little nervous about the day coming and not being able to run the entire race.
  • mereniecrosby
    Options
    Am going to try for 10 K. Did 5 k in 34 min last year. Maybe next year a half. I do 5 k a couple times a week. Should be okay to move it up to 10. Did 6.5 last night in 45 min.
  • live2runnj
    live2runnj Posts: 157
    Options
    Former Marine! Marine Corps is my goal for next year. Gotta do that one!
  • live2runnj
    live2runnj Posts: 157
    Options
    6.5 in 45 is SOLID! Awesome work.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Not yet (working on 10K now), but one of my friends is training for one, and it inspired me to think about it. I always thought it was something I'd never be able to do, but I never thought I could run 5 miles before, and I did! So maybe next year I'll start training for one.
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my 7th marathon--which is the Portland marathon in October! I need some encouragement as my body is definitely fighting against me! Stomach virus last week, head cold this week, and I'm supposed to be doing a half marathon this weekend! Not so good for me :) Anyways, I always love to have more encouraging friends, especially those who share my affinity for long distance running!!!

Karrie
  • xALEXANDROx
    xALEXANDROx Posts: 3,416 Member
    Options
    i would like too ..never have runned for long distance..
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Ran my first Marathon last October, and am now training for a half.

I will be training hard come January for the Boston Marathon.
  • OMGlob
    OMGlob Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm training for an Oct marathon and am following Hal Higdon's novice 1 plan. Was supposed to have done my first one in April but had a nasty bout of tedonitis which put my plans on hold. All is good now though and am back on track having done a steady 12 miler at the weekend. Only problem I'm having is trying to work out how much I should be eating whilst running 25+ miles per week??? I want to lose weight (obviously) but need to know I have enough gas in the tank to do my running! Any suggestions??
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I have a 1/2 marathon in 6 weeks... I run about 35-40 miles on average a aweek...don't know if I want to do a full, I like 13.1!

p.s. I am in NJ, too...not far from you!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I want to start training for a half marathon. I was actually looking at training plans this morning. I definitely plan to sign up for a 10k in September and would love to run a half in October. We'll see how it goes. I ran my first 5k Sunday and was amazed at how easy it was, so maybe that bodes well for future organized runs. Perhaps a marathon will be on my bucket list for next year. :-)
  • gpark33
    gpark33 Posts: 9
    Options
    I was hoping to do a 1/2 marathon by August and a marathon by October, but I only want to do trail runs and they are all too hilly for me. I found a nice one that I hope will work--the Ft. Steilacoom race in Lakewood, WA. Anyone done that? My plans have slowed a bit since I got plantar faciitis, so maybe I'll be ready by spring 2013.
  • gpark33
    gpark33 Posts: 9
    Options
    "Hey there! I'm training for an Oct marathon and am following Hal Higdon's novice 1 plan. Was supposed to have done my first one in April but had a nasty bout of tedonitis which put my plans on hold. All is good now though and am back on track having done a steady 12 miler at the weekend. Only problem I'm having is trying to work out how much I should be eating whilst running 25+ miles per week??? I want to lose weight (obviously) but need to know I have enough gas in the tank to do my running! Any suggestions??"

My advice is to lose the weight first, then train for the marathon. You can't really expect to eat less when you're training, and weight loss is all about less calories in than out! This MFP seems to have a healthy approach though, if you exercise and burn 500 calories, you need to add those 500 calories back into your total consumed for the day.
  • shushu71
    shushu71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am signed up for Philadelphia in November (with a half in San Francisco in October) and I'm only about 2 1/2 months behind on my training. I will probably use Galloway's method and just need to decide on my interval times.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm training for my first half marathon in November and I'm excited. I live in Texas so this heat is Killing!!! I've also decided to sign up for a sprint Tri in October, now I need help arranging my schedule for run training and swimming and biking haha :happy:
  • OMGlob
    OMGlob Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am signed up for Philadelphia in November (with a half in San Francisco in October) and I'm only about 2 1/2 months behind on my training. I will probably use Galloway's method and just need to decide on my interval times.

I ran a half in feb and followed Hal Higdon's plan. I ran a steady pace all the way through (no stopping even through water stations). A few people round me were following galloway's plan and were putting on speed bursts and then walking - guess what? We finished at the same time!! I'm slow ( I ran about 11.30 pace to keep it steady) but these guys really put the speed on for about half a mile or so and then walked like they were looking round the shops. But it worked!!! I tried it with my 12 miler at the weekend and felt so much better. I was 2 mins slower than when I tried to run it all the way through. Go for it!!