Calling all musicians and music fans!

Options
tappae
tappae Posts: 568 Member
So, as I'm increasing my mileage in training for a marathon, something has become very apparent to me:

I need more music.

Now, before you start telling me all about your favorite song, please keep reading. I'm looking for something very specific.

I'm not looking just for great beats or awesome riffs or inspiring lyrics or anything like that (though any and all would be cool). I'm looking for a specific tempo. I'm using the Chi Running method which involves keeping my stride frequency at 170 steps per minute. The author suggests running with a metronome, but that would drive me nuts. Instead, I have a playlist of songs that are all about the right tempo (between 168 and 172 bpm). That way, when I'm running, I can convince myself that it's more like dancing. My playlist is only 40 minutes long and my shortest run is longer than that now. If anyone is willing to count the beats on a song that might work, I would appreciate it. If you can't be bothered, here's what I have so far and you can think about songs you know that are about the same speed (somewhere in the fast rock/slow punk area):

Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode, Let it Rock, Reelin' and Rockin'
Little Richard (Jimi Hendrix and friends) - Long Tall Sally, Belle Star
CCR - Travelin' Band
Led Zeppelin - Rock and Roll
Beach Boys - It's About Time
Snooks Eaglin - Bottle Up and Go
SRV - Love Struck Baby
Beastie Boys - Sabotage
The Cranberries - Salvation
Green Day - Basket Case
Radiohead - Bodysnatchers
Kinyonga - Flow Pace

I'm pretty sure some Ramones might work and that there has to be more out there. Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• tehdux0r
    tehdux0r Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If I need something that fast, I always pull up songs from the Initial D soundtracks. They're primarily eurobeat, so they're supposed to be really fast. It might be a little out of your favorite genre, but I know it's helped me when I've had to run at a fast pace.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Check out this site

http://jog.fm/users/kilgoretrout/workout-playlists/800-pace-170-bpm

I don't recognize a lot of the tunes but then I'm a dinosaur (or so I've been told......)
  • tappae
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I'll check both of those out.
  • tappae
    Options
    Check out this site

http://jog.fm/users/kilgoretrout/workout-playlists/800-pace-170-bpm

I don't recognize a lot of the tunes but then I'm a dinosaur (or so I've been told......)

Thanks, Brian!

I found more than enough on that site to use up my itunes gift card, and some of them I would have wanted anyway (Tom Petty). I got 20 new songs, in seven "genres." Now, my playlist is over two hours, which is enough for most of my runs (and I don't listen on the long trail runs anyway).