I have no self control

Options
I am frustrated with myself. I will do so well with eating within my limits and eating healthier choices for a couple of weeks, I will even lose a couple of pounds (you would think that should be the motivation right there!!) but after a couple of weeks I lose all self control and gain it all back! I am addicted to food. I don't have anyone who is supportive right now. Everyone I work with tells me "Maybe I should just accept that this is where my body should be at" I am 150lbs and at the end of my healthy weight--crossing into becoming obese. I am not happy with the way that I look. So why is it that I can't stick to anything I am doing!! I look around and my family is overweight, my co-workers are overweight, even my dog is overweight :( so you would think all of this would MOTIVATE me. Instead I decide to beat myself up about it when I make a wrong choice. How do you all stick with it? I know it needs to become a lifestyle for me. But I constantly find myself finding ways around it!! Sorry--I really just need to vent tonight!

Starting over tomorrow :\

Replies

• Landizzity
    Options
    I put on 25 pounds putting off my diet till tomorrow...tomorrow was always the next day and never today.So I would eat a butt load that day thinking I could start tomorrow.... It's alright to have set backs and feel ****ty for looking ****ty, just don't use it as an excuse.

You'll be alright.
  • KenSOL
    Options
    Well depending on your heigh 150 really isn't that bad. 150 is under weight for me! That's first of all.

Second, tha'ts how it goes. It's all about will power and it ain't easy. I finally got my stuff together and lost all the way down to my pre baby weight I was THRILLED - then for no reason just stopped and 3 months later I had gained 30 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!

So now, I start again, 30 pounds heavier than i was 3 months ago. But, I am here, I fell off the wagon and hear I am.

Learn to find healthy choices that you LIKE! This site is great because you can have those treats just make up for it somewhere in your day!

Good luck!
  • lailavendar
    Options
    I feel for you. I am the exact same way. I eat things that I don't even like, even though this totally goes against all logic and reasoning. Why do I do this? I have no idea. Perhaps, like you, I have a lack of self restraint. But we just need to learn from our mistakes and try better next time. We should try to be losing weight for ourselves. We should be our own motivation. But if this doesn't happen, we should be there for each other. I'm here for you!
  • figueres3
    figueres3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You know... I have the same problem...

I have learned 3 good things:

1) tell yourself, when you are about to eat: Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels

2) In order to get what I want out of the effort I have put into it so far, I have to do it for a lot longer than a few weeks...

3) exercise gives me 300+ calories that I get to eat, which means I get to eat more...

Just jump back on the wagon... make it a life change not a new diet that is only going to last for a while...

We are in this together!
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This week has just not been a good one, especially following a holiday, and I am now back to where I started. I'm glad I am able to always find support when I come to this site. A bunch of my co-workers have started weight watchers, and though they are much heavier than I am, and they are losing weight and looking great, no one seems to want to support me in this journey. My boyfriend thinks I look great--though I've packed on about 40lbs since we started dating and I know he stands behind me, but I don't think he really cares whether I lose the weight or not. I want to do this for myself, and I appreciate your kind words!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I am frustrated with myself. I will do so well with eating within my limits and eating healthier choices for a couple of weeks, I will even lose a couple of pounds (you would think that should be the motivation right there!!) but after a couple of weeks I lose all self control and gain it all back! I am addicted to food. I don't have anyone who is supportive right now. Everyone I work with tells me "Maybe I should just accept that this is where my body should be at" I am 150lbs and at the end of my healthy weight--crossing into becoming obese. I am not happy with the way that I look. So why is it that I can't stick to anything I am doing!! I look around and my family is overweight, my co-workers are overweight, even my dog is overweight :( so you would think all of this would MOTIVATE me. Instead I decide to beat myself up about it when I make a wrong choice. How do you all stick with it? I know it needs to become a lifestyle for me. But I constantly find myself finding ways around it!! Sorry--I really just need to vent tonight!

Starting over tomorrow :\

It takes a long time to learn self control...and even then, most of us will never master it. What I've done is learn to forgive myself when I mess up, go easy on myself when I'm feeling down, and go at it full force when I'm motivated. The biggest thing though...you have to learn to be ok with feeling uncomfortable- because losing weight is not generally a comfortable proposition. You have to learn to deal with emotions associated with depriving ourselves of what we want, but know we shouldn't have- and it feels downright awful sometimes. You have to suffer a little (or a lot) for this...what worth having is easy? Practice, practice, practice. It gets easier, but I doubt it ever gets easy, so don't expect an easy road.

As for motivation...that comes from constant reinforcement of your goals. Generally if your goal is JUST to look sexy or to wear smaller jeans...that motivation won't get you that far, but when it becomes about health and quality of life- who doesn't want a better life? I do. That's how I stick with it.

__

And no you're not starting over tomorrow- you're starting over right now. Right? :wink:
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    yes, starting over right now:bigsmile:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Your human your going to eat some ****ty food once in awhile don't make a habit of it and just because you eat 1 donut doesn't mean you eat 2-3 more!

Nobody can give you self control thats something you need to learn on your own.
  • Makai
    Makai Posts: 43
    Options
    I definitely agree with Brenda. I think that sometimes we eat for all the wrong reasons. Emotional eating can be a problem for some people (I know it is for me). When I get stressed or anxious, I don't really care what it is or if I'm craving it, I will give in. One thing that I have found is that exercise seems to take the edge off (not completely but some). When I think of all the work I have to do in order to burn off the food I ate when losing my self-control, it makes me often reconsider.
  • csw5048
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/End-Overeating-Insatiable-American-Appetite/dp/1605297852

This is a good book to read to help you be aware of things around you that trigger eating, and what some businesses do to food to trigger your brain into seeking out certain foods. Good read.
  • JenUB
    JenUB Posts: 84
    Options
    Oh, honey, I am so sad for you. It really must stink to not have anyone supporting your efforts. Remember that you have us, though!!!!!!

I would suggest trying to find someone in your life that has the same goals as you--being healthy, getting in shape, losing weight, etc., to be your motivator and your weight loss buddy. Just this week I set up a buddy system with a co-worker. We call each other at 5 am to get our butts out of bed and on the treadmill. It seems to be working!

If I am honest with myself........when I personally am overweight and feeling crappy about my own self-image, I'm not very supportive of other people's weight loss. To be completely truthful....I'm jealous of them, and I secretly wish for them to fail. I know that's a horrible thing to say out loud, but it's the truth. My deep dark secret. Someone else's weight loss success just makes me feel worse about my own failure to do anything about my own weight. The people in your life that you are looking to for support may be a little jealous of your success.

Nonetheless, I think most of us find that we end up having to do this totallly for ourselves. I'm a huge fan of The Biggest Loser. This season they are really focusing on the contestants' emotional needs and what leads them to overeat to begin with. It seems that most of them are dealing with personal issues that are connected to their eating.

Hope this helps you, hon.
  • bizchic
    bizchic Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey, it will be okay. Just take it one day at a time. I was at the same spot you where at just a couple of days ago, but knowing that YOU are worth it, makes it all worth it. Take your time and ease back into it. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.