Any ladies afraid of bulking up too much?

Options
PUSH YOURSELF. Pick up heavier weights!!

ladies--- I dumbbell bench press reps of 8 with 35 lb in each hand.. I can do body weight pull ups.. I can do body weight dips.. I dead lift 145lbs...I am 5'5" 126 lbs and i AM NOT bulky.

3 lb dumbbells will not help you get sexier arms.. Neither will running 10 miles every day.

Stop using the excuse that you don't want to bulk up. You are not a man, you do not have enough testosterone in your body to get bulky.. therefore, LIFT HEAVY AND GET SEXY.

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Amen, sister.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    If you so much as touch a barbell you'll turn into a bulldozer overnight. Don't do it. Besides once you start you go into Hulk mode and you can't stop even when you reach your goals. You just get bigger and bigger till your veins explode. It's not worth the risk. Also.... I like having my side of the gym less crowded so stick with the treadmills.
    I can do body weight pull ups.. I can do body weight dips..

*bows down* O great master. I too strive to do body weight pull ups. One day I shall achieve your greatness.

Dips I can do cause my triceps are awesome. Wide grip pull ups.... *Struggles through 3* ... *hangs head*..... *walks off*....
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Stop using the excuse that you don't want to bulk up. You are not a man, you do not have enough testosterone in your body to get bulky.. therefore, LIFT HEAVY AND GET SEXY.
  • blinkinglight
    Options
    I can clean and jerk 145#, OH squat 115# deadlift 220#-235#... and I actually do think I'm getting bulky. My husband disagrees, but I'm seeing some pretty big biceps and traps. I'm not going to quit what I'm doing (because I love it)... but I am definitely adding some significant muscles.

I agree the 3# hand weights won't get you sexy arms.
  • desireedare
    Options
    I can clean and jerk 145#, OH squat 115# deadlift 220#-235#... and I actually do think I'm getting bulky. My husband disagrees, but I'm seeing some pretty big biceps and traps. I'm not going to quit what I'm doing (because I love it)... but I am definitely adding some significant muscles.

you go girl!

yes, you're going to build muscle... but get "bulky" no... I don't want women to bench press 400 lbs.. i just want them to know that they're strong, and they can work past 5 lbs and get the results that they want.
  • blinkinglight
    Options

you go girl!

yes, you're going to build muscle... but get "bulky" no... I don't want women to bench press 400 lbs.. i just want them to know that they're strong, and they can work past 5 lbs and get the results that they want.

Oh, yes I totally agree with you! I just had a bad morning this morning where I thought my chest/back/shoulders are looking too big. Please, everyone, just IGNORE ME!! :)

Here is what I meant to say: I whole heartedly agree with the message you're getting out here. LIFT HEAVY THINGS! The more muscle you have the more fat you're burning!
  • iWaffle
    Options

Don't disrespect the 3# weights. Those are great for keeping your workout chart from blowing away when the ceiling fans are on.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Wow, you can deadlift 220-235? How many reps? That's impressive.
  • iWaffle
    Options
    Seriously. I don't do reps at that weight. I think I normally put on 205# and do reps of 6-8. That bar gets really, really hard to hold at that weight. I don't believe in wrist straps but I might be talked into them eventually.
  • JNick77
    Options
    You look great, not bulky in any way.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Yup, totally agree with ya! I am getting some more muscles and definition, but I look far from bulky. I look strong!! RAWR!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Seriously. I don't do reps at that weight. I think I normally put on 205# and do reps of 6-8. That bar gets really, really hard to hold at that weight. I don't believe in wrist straps but I might be talked into them eventually.

Do you use chalk?
  • fifth_bidness
    Options
    i once glanced sidelong at a power rack and woke up the next morning with an additional 35 lbs. of lean body mass and a glowing mahogany spray tan.

truth.
  • SportyLadyPhotographer
    Options
    I do weights almost every session and I do the weights mainly only guys use and I am happy with my body and what to get stronger plus it helps in my racing and times
    strenght is good!!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    That's great, but why does it matter so much what other women do? I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, just wondering why you think we should all lift heavy? I'm happy with what I'm doing and achieving and don't find the need to do heavy weights.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    even if you do have that high testosterone you still need to eat ****loads of food. And I don't mean in what girls understand as a LOT i mean around 3k calories to start.
  • iWaffle
    Options
    Do you use chalk?

Na. I do wear gloves but eventually my fingers get tired. Maybe chalk would be better. I'm waiting for the day I do it to total fatigue and it slips. I'll probably get a lot of dirty look for that. :laugh:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness you are such a revoluntinary.. how could we ever get along with out this information?

I run.. I lift, and I look damn good.

Everything in moderation when working out.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    That's great, but why does it matter so much what other women do? I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, just wondering why you think we should all lift heavy? I'm happy with what I'm doing and achieving and don't find the need to do heavy weights.

Love this!
  • JNick77
    Options
    Do you use chalk?

Na. I do wear gloves but eventually my fingers get tired. Maybe chalk would be better. I'm waiting for the day I do it to total fatigue and it slips. I'll probably get a lot of dirty look for that. :laugh:

Oh, take off dem gloves. Gloves make your grip worse, not better. Callouses are your friend! :) I'm pulling a fair amount of wait off the deck for DL's and Rack Pulls and I have yet to need chalk or straps. Ditch the gloves and do some heavy (6-8 reps) of hammer curls.