Best Methods of dealing/healing for "Runners knee"

Options
Any advice other than ice is good for the "runners knee" issue? I recently increased my running intensity and added more uphill terrain then after a couple days I the side of one knee begin to have pain half way in the workout.

Replies

• Jillian1104
    Jillian1104 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've had the same trouble recently. Are you running outside or on the treadmill? I often had trouble on the treadmill and then when I started running outside, I didnt have any trouble anymore. Maybe try switching that up a bit.

I also bought a small brace (third on the top here) http://www.betterbraces.com/knee-injuries/patellofemoral-pain-runners-knee. It may not be something you want to purchase, but it definitely helped!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    1. Double-check you're wearing the right shoes and they're not worn out.
    2. Add in resistance training - weak buttocks can often cause knee twinges. Squats and lunges are your friend.
    3. Ease back on intensity. Increase only one thing - distance, intensity, uphill sections etc. - each week.
    4. Double-check your gait, foot-landing and posture.
    5. Vary your running surfaces, a little cross-country is good for road runners.

Don't forget to RICE until it's better rather than pushing on through!
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump! it's always my right knee for some reason!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Get a proper diagnosis. It could be lots of things causing the pain with different treatments for each.

The RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) treatment is only for immediate treatment after the injury/pain. Not a long term recuperation treatment.
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I just bought the small pantello brace and I have been mostly running on the treadmill. As far as strength training I have been mixing in the insanity workout
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I had pain on the outside of my right knee during marathon training at the beginning of the year & it didn't go away. It was caused by combination of wrong type trainers & too many miles in them plus increasing my mileage too quickly. It all caused me ITB issues. I saw a physio but should have gone earlier as it came on from about 10+ miles. I will now always take note of my shoes & increase mileage much slower!!!

The strength training - specifically squats & lunges I would definately agree with as very important to have strong glutes, quads & core to support you.

Hope u get it all sorted :flowerforyou:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like IT Band than Runner's Knee. Google it. You'll find all kinds of stretches to help. Foam roller too. Shoes, etc.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You say the pain occurs halfway through your workout? I'm not a doctor but that sounds like you have IT Band Syndrome. It's a common running injury. It won't hurt at the beginning of a run, but at some point in the run it will become debilitating. From my own personal experience I would recommend that you cut back both in volume and frequency. I would also try to run on a flat surface (like a track, or just flat roads) and cut out hill work for the time being.

I'm not sure how bad it is for you right now, but it can be excruciating if you continue to make it worse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh yes, sounds about how my IT Band problems started!! I pretty much run with no pain now but that was after...ready for this...

*Ice a few times a day, especially after a run or workout.
    *Strength training - lots of lower body workouts that focus on the glutes and legs.
    *Decreasing my distance and slowly, I mean slowly, increasing it back to where I was at.
    *Form roller, massage with a softball, ect.
    *Lots of stretches....especially for the hip flexors, I've even added Yoga everyday!
    *Ibuprofen for the pain.
    *New sneakers!
    *IT Band brace while running.
    *Really focusing on how I run....my landing, my stride, my speed!

Its been about a month for me! There are days that I have to do walk/runs if I feel a pain coming on, I have even been know to have a stretch session mid run. I'm checking in with a physical therapist also!! So far good! :)

Good luck to you and I hope this pain does not linger....R.I.C.E. is a good place to start! :)
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like IT Band than Runner's Knee. Google it. You'll find all kinds of stretches to help. Foam roller too. Shoes, etc.

this was my thought too, I bought a foam roller (amazon do them) and its amazing, it hurts doing it but what a difference, I didnt know I had ITB problems.

Also if you havent already get your gait checked, even if you have a while back you may find you need different shoes (I went from stability to neutrals) or even that your shoes may be passed their best.

My fizz said to reduce the miles back to where I could run pain free & stay pain free the next day, gradually increasing so long as I remained pain free.

the usual RICE will get you through the current pain but it needs checking out, cause identified and rehabiliting properly
  • Jessie43082
    Jessie43082 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue and ended up doing so much harm by trying to run through it.

Sounds like your IT band is swollen. I ended up having a lot of inflammation as well as a tear to my meniscus.

Things that have helped me:

Lots of ice. My physical therapist has me make ice packs using the little dixie cups and then putting the ice directly on the knee for 3 minutes.

Stretching (even when I'm not running)

Rest (doing other no impact cardio til swelling went down)

Building back up slowly (6 miles one week, 9 the next two, and so on)
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    so my shoes may be over due but are there any other ways to tell that they are?
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

How long have you had them and how many miles have you put on them?

Typically, pain is the first sign that it's time for new shoes...

Get thee to a running specialty store (not a big box or chain sporting goods store) and get properly fitted, stat! :drinker:
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've been having a similar problem, so I was glad to see this! People are saying to "Check your gait." How does one do that? Thanks!
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Definitely do not run for a while. Go see an ortho. Sometimes minor pain can be a lot worse than you would think. I didn't see an ortho my first few times I had knee issues and now I am looking at a second surgery. Most of us are not doctors, and even if we were we don't know your medical history, the type of pain, and have no way of examining you. Rest, ice, elevate, see an ortho. :)
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I've heard you should change them every 500 miles...

When I had sore knees (similar to what you are describing) I spoke with the local running store. Their suggestion was to do strength training... One leg at a time - lift low weight (15 lbs or so) multiple times. It worked great for me.

I also got shoes with more stability... Never had knee issues again.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Run on grass! NEVER EVER run on pavement, that should make a massive difference.

I've had every possible thing that could go wrong with my knee's and ankles happen to me :(

Knee braces also help but they do not eliminate the problem, not for me anyway.
  • nene01pop
    nene01pop Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Bought a little cheap elastic brace from Dollar General yesterday... I had been running- walking (well slow jogging) for couple weeks and went to KY and did 3 5k's on a hilly terrain and my left knee felt like it was going to give slap out. But, I have not ran for 2 days and the brace seems to be helping. But yes RICE is only temp and if not better soon see your MD> Best of luck.
  • karabeara
    karabeara Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like all the answers about foam rollers and IT bands and new shoes, check your gate etc. Totally agree!
    I would like to add that ChiRunning is a fabulous way to run injury free. It has helped me tremendously! http://www.chirunning.com/
  • Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump to read later