spices

Options
i have tons of spices and no idea how to use them!! which spices go on which foods?!!

Replies

• kendrart
    kendrart Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I cook using a strictly trial and error method :wink:
  • cberridge1987
    Options

I'm afraid I am not much use either, I am in agreement with this method, I have no idea which spices go where, or which herbs to use on what. I just wing it... If it tastes good, great! (I'll never remember what I used for next time, but at least i managed one decent meal) if it goes wrong, it's rice for dinner!
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Honestly I love to experiment a little of this a little of that. Since cutting out extra salt I am a spiceaholic. I would google spices and see what they pair them up with you will be surprised at what you can put on what!! Have fun cooking!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Try the "traditional" uses of spices, but don't be afraid to put something "unusual" on a dish... worst that happens is you don't like that combo... towards that end I keep a white-board in the kitchen, I jot down WHAT spices I used if not the quantities, and if the combo was great I flag it for future use, otherwise if it wasn't liked I know not to combine those items down the road... at least with that dish....
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    There are some herbs and spices which traditionally go with different cuisines (such as basil/oregano/marjoram/parsley for Italian, thyme/parsley/tarragon for French, coriander/cayenne/paprika/chilli/cinnamon for Mexican, coriander/lemongrass/white pepper/5 spice for Chinese and Thai, coriander/curry/cumin/mustard seeds for Indian) BUT generally, trial an error! Parsley and cayenne work with everything, paprika's good if you want something with both a kick and a bit of a smokey flavour... just try and see what tastes good.

I'm trial and error, but over years and years of cooking with my dad I can pretty much smell something and know what it needs, so I'm probably not much help!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

I do this too. Sprinkle a little. Taste. Add more/completely disregard/add in new spices. Taste.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options

I do this quite often as well and each dish never tastes the same when I make them again
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    salt and pepper
    garlic salt/powder
    onion salt/powder
    cayenne
    lemon pepper
    tumeric
    those are the main ones I can think of. obviously not all of them on everything but it's a start :p
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Spices are a dieter's best friend! When used well, they can turn a boring, depressing dish into something wonderful.

Spangle is correct and I find that her method is the best when you are starting out. Use what are called flavor profiles, as in, use the spices common to the style of food you are cooking. Another way of looking at it is, "if it grows together, it goes together." If foods or spices grow in the same part of the world, odds are good that they will taste good together.

A great beginner item is garlic. It's great and most types of cuisine use it. Just don't eat it raw! You can always use garlic powder instead.

One thing I didn't know until I had been cooking for years was that if you are unsure of what a spice will taste like, taste it! Give it a quick sniff and then get a little on your finger to try. Cooking it will change the flavor some, but you'll get an idea of what it's going to taste like.

You'll be amazed how much better your food will taste with some spice!
  • stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
    SALT SALT SALT!!! Stop it! The best way to season food is with food. You know onions, peppers, garlic, herbs!