How does spaghetti squash fare in a stir-fry?

Options
bulbadoof
bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
I was thinking of replacing the typical noodles with spaghetti squash in a Chinese-inspired stir fry. I was just wondering if anyone had done this before - does it stay crisp and noodle-y, or does it get soggy and melt together? Are there any extra preparations I should take to ensure it turns out well?

Replies

• Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump...id like to know too
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Good question. My thoughts, based only cooking other things, as I've never tried this (yet!) would be to only cook it enough to get the shreds (or "noodles") out in nice strings and then stir fry over very high heat so they will brown without over cooking.

I hope you will post your results as I'm quite interested.
  • bulbadoof
    Options
    Good question. My thoughts, based only cooking other things, as I've never tried this (yet!) would be to only cook it enough to get the shreds (or "noodles") out in nice strings and then stir fry over very high heat so they will brown without over cooking.

Yeah, that was what I thought would be necessary, too. Do you think half the normal cooking time would be sufficient to accomplish that, or should I shoot for maybe a third to a quarter?
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I have not tried Spaghetti Squash, but I use Broccoli slaw for noodles in a lot of dishes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yeah, that was what I thought would be necessary, too. Do you think half the normal cooking time would be sufficient to accomplish that, or should I shoot for maybe a third to a quarter?

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. I would definitely think time less than usual but you may have to just "eyeball it".
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but every recipe I've seen online has you cook the squash separately. Then you add it to your stirfry at the very end, just for a minute or two to heat it back up.
  • bulbadoof
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but every recipe I've seen online has you cook the squash separately. Then you add it to your stirfry at the very end, just for a minute or two to heat it back up.
    Oh, so it's heard of? That's good. I'll definitely try it tonight then! Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Let us know how it turns out. It sounds like it would be good.
  • bulbadoof
    Options
    Hmm. It didn't exactly have the slurpable chow-mein texture I was looking for (maybe it didn't appreciate the oil?), but the taste is great, it absorbed the spices quite nicely and it complements the other flavors very well, and I can't argue with an enormous bowl of "noodles" for under 20g of carbs! And with the calories I saved cutting out the crap, I was able to double the meat and get some much-needed protein out of it. I'd say it's more than a fair trade. Thanks, guys!