Hello...Again...for the third time

Options
Well, I am back from a long hiatus on here again. This is my third time trying this site. I just can't seem to stay motivated long enough to wait for results, so I stop trying. Well, I have been thinking and have found there are some things I need to learn. First thing I learned is that I cannot completely control what gets bought or change the mindsets of the people who live with me. This means I am stuck eating the same garbage everybody around me eats, even if it isn't what I want. The people around me are of the mindset that just because it is here, doesn't mean I need to eat it. But, when I enjoy it, and everyone around me is eating it, that does not work for me. Another problem is they insist on cheap, high calorie, quick-to-make meals such as frozen burritos or ramen, which does nothing to satisfy my hunger but is still high in calories. Because of this, I am not going to be using this site to track food. At least, not right away.

Instead, I will be focusing on using it to track exercise, because that is something I can control. I will log on and track the amount of exercise I do every day, and if I fail to exercise, I will admit that as well. Today, for example, I will not be exercising because I got a late start on doing anything and I have to get ready to go to work in a few minutes. I also learned I need to figure out how to set small exercise goals so I can reach them, not just have a final goal in mind. Having a final exercise goal in mind is great, but with no idea where to start or how to reach it, it gets tiring. I know there are things like the couch-to-(distance)-program, but I get bored with following the same roads and my shoes make my feet hurt after a while. I can't really afford new ones at the moment either.

So, starting tomorrow, I will get up and exercise, and I will be tracking it on here. Any ideas where to start with establishing an exercise program would be great. I have a membership to the YMCA that I don't get nearly enough use out of, so I will try using that more too. Maybe do a lot of swimming with it? I just get demotivated too soon because my final goals are a long way away and I have no idea how to go about setting short term goals that are reachable. Any ideas for what workout programs there are to help me along to set small goals, like getting from push-ups on knees to doing full push-ups (I have a wrist that hurts too much to do regular push-ups right now, need to lose some of my excess weight)? Also, what should I do to stay motivated? I try reading other peoples' success stories, and while I am happy for their successes, it usually depresses me because I do not have any successes, whether they be clothes fit better or scale drops. People around me tell me things, but I don't know if that's because they see I am trying or if it is because they actually notice a difference. And since I don't notice, I automatically think they just know I am trying and want me to feel good, which usually does the opposite.

Anyway, some ideas how to stay motivated, and setting very small goals that I can reach would be great. Also, people who can help motivate me through hard times would be great. I need to work on being more open also, because I have a tendency to stay quiet when I am feeling frustrated or down.

Replies

• MrsHarvey2010
    MrsHarvey2010 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Howdy :)
    I feel your pain about losing motivation. I'm a repeater as well, this is just my first time taking full advantage of the site. A couple of quick suggestions would be to try joining a class and make friends, or take friends with you. The Y usually offered classes of some type. Zumba is my personal favorite, even if you can't dance it's ok, we all haves little white boy in us Lol. It's about having fun. If you find something fun, that you enjoy doing and doesn't feel like work, you're more likely to stick with it. Plus if you have friends in the class who will notice and ask about you if you don't come. This will help encourage you to go as well cause you don't want to disappoint your pals. As far as food goes, if you could come to some type of agreement with your roommates. Like if you always have Sundays off, you buy healthy food, cook enough for the whole week on Sunday, then they can just reheat the leftovers all week, you'll all be eating healthier and it's still easy/convenient. Or some grocery stores sell pre cooked food like rotisserie chicken that's healthy as well and keeps well in the fridge.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    1. I used to make those excuses about others buying the food too when i was technically 'obese'. You need to get over this and stop eating crap. Stop making excuses. Your body isn't going to say 'oh okay then, if it's out of your control I wont turn all this extra calories into fat in that case'. Stop using your body like a rubbish bin. Do you not deserve better? Weight loss is 70% diet, 20% exercise and 10% mindset. Track everything. There's no point hiding yourself from it - because whether or not you decide to add it on her - your body is STILL GOING TO PROCESS IT. Harsh, but probably the best advice you'll hear.

2. Even if you are trying and not losing weight you are still trying. If you're exercising slowly - you're still lapping everyone on the couch. Don't give up - there's no point. You are making a commitment to yourself and you need to change if you expect your whole body to change.

3. Staying motivated - look forward to the next pound that you are going to lose. Never let yourself give up. Otherwise you will die fat.
  • joshuamhort
    Options
    Well, I was going to Yoga on Tuesday mornings, but with my work schedule there is no guarantee I can make it to the classes. I can have a shift one day from 2:30 in the afternoon to 11:00 at night, then go back at 8:00 in the morning to 4:30 in the afternoon. With that kind of schedule, I kind of gave up on doing classes. There were some classes that require registration, that I thought sounded fun but just would not work because of my scheduling. I know, I need to work on getting up the same time every day, and going to bed the same time every night. Fit my exercise in at some point during the day. Luckily, the Y is only a mile from where I work, so I can go there before or after work. I just need to remember to grab work out clothes and things before leaving.

Thank you for the ideas. Now to put them into practice and actually follow through. Too late today to do it, since I am heading to work soon, but I will do it tomorrow.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Make a meal plan. 6 set dinners a week with 6 pre-planned lunches and some fruit and yoghurt avaialble for breakfasts. Your 7th day, eat what you want within reason. Don't accept the people around you keeping you unhealthy. Acceptance of something you can change is failure off the bat.

Track whatever you DO eat. It doesn't matter if it's crap. You still ate it.

Exercise regularly, but don't kill yourself with a 7 day plan. 3 days of resistance with 2 days of cardio if you absolutely must.

For a plan, Starting Strength, Stronglifts or 5/3/1.

You're 27 man. Stop making excuses and fix your **** before it kills you too early.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    <--- THIS! :wink:

You are taking a huge step by coming back here. But I would seriously urge you to log your food. You cannot make a change if you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing now.

Second, I am sorry to hear you don't think you can control your food intake. If there is ANYTHING adults can control, it's what they put into their bodies. Your living situation (roommates, I presume) are correct - what they buy and eat is up to them. What you buy and eat is up to you! And remember, your diet is critically important to your body if you want to make the most of the exercise you are starting.

Please give yourself a little more credit --- you DO have what it takes! There is a will of iron in you --- just tap into it.
  • tizzie_14
    tizzie_14 Posts: 72
    Options
    Even though you can't control what others buy, you can control what YOU get. It might not be easy to pass up the junk, but if you are going to put in the time and hard work to exercise, don't you want the most benefit from it? I hate burning a ton of calories then negating all the word I did for a piece of pizza or something. It does happen, but I try not to make a habit of it. Maybe try to encourage the people you live with that it would also be in their best interest to eat healthier. Just a thought. Best of luck to you. Applause for trying again. Starting is the hardest part.
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    I totally agree with deadbeatsummer. I was the same way, always had an excuse for everything! This ached or that ached or I didn't have time! You have to MAKE time! Even if it mean getting up 5 or 10 mins earlier than normal and doing some crunches on the floor or just walking to the end of the block and back, it's still better than nothing! I am saying this from experience, all of the excuses in the world, are NOT going to get you healthy, only action is going to get you healthy! I wish you the best of luck and hope you stay motivated this time! I am only a week into my new life, but I can't see living any other way now, but a healthy way!!
  • dbustamante76
    Options
    your mini goals can be simple to begin with and progressively get longer and more challenging as time goes by. Try something like this

15 pounds = (date you reached it)
    30 pounds = (date you reached it)
    45 pounds = (date you reached it)
    60 pounds = (date you reached it)
    75 pounds = (date you reached it)

keep going or reduce depending on how much you want to lose.

work out tips again begin simple and progressively get longer and more challenging as time goes by.

3 x 10 pushups on your knees
    3 x 10 squats
    3 x 10 sit ups

after you feel you’re not getting the same burn as before add 2 sets to each till you can start doing pushups off your knees. Also log EVERYTHING there’s no point in cheating because you’re only going to hurt yourself.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It's great that you have started to use MFP again and I wish you every success. However I feel it would be beneficial for you to track your food too. You may not have the perfect diet but being able to control the number of calories you eat will go a long way in helping you reach your goal. There are lots of encouraging and supportive people on MFP but the motivation has to come from you - if YOU set the goals you want to reach (however small) you have more chance of achieving them and can then celebrate your success. I don't mean to sound harsh but you have made quite a few excuses in your post - you can do this, you just need to believe it yourself!
  • dbustamante76
    Options
    Also workouts can vary those were the top 3 workouts that came to mind.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    You have gotten a lot of great advice from those above, for my 2 cents worth (this is my second time around)

Make small goals that are reachable.
    Log everything you eat and eat in moderation...you control how much you put in your mouth even if you don't prepare it yourself.
    Drink plenty of water, it really does make a difference.
    Find a way to get some form of exercise even if it's walking to start and build up from there.

There are no excuses that are worth keeping you from succeeding, unless you let them take control of your life.

Good luck.

Laura80111

PS - I check out success stories every day to keep myself motivated...if they can do it so can I and SO CAN YOU!
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I agree with one of the other posters... track everything. I have been here since March of 2011 and originally lost 47 pounds. But in February I got some really bad shin splints and had to stop exercising for a while. Well that was my downfall. Ever since then I made very bad choices regarding my eating... and exercise never happened. Unfortunately I gained back some pounds. I still stayed on MFP though and logged everything because I wanted to see exactly what I was consuming. To my surprise I went as far as 3000 calories some days and was shocked at how easy it was to do. God only knows what I used to eat before I started on MFP in March 2011. I was quite heavy for my height and bone structure. Now I am no longer obese, however a few days ago I calculated my BMI and saw I was headed back in that direction. I caught myself just in time.. It's just not acceptable for me to be obese. So now I'm back on track. You have to take it one day at a time. Don't look at it s a long term sentence.

Make sure whatever you decide to do for exercise is something you will be successful at. Even if its 30 minutes a day it''s something. I use Leslie Sansone walk at home DVD's. She's quite effective and the workout goes by quick. But if you think the YMCA will realistically work for you than go for it. You have to reach a point where you'll say NO MORE. Hopefully you'll reach that point before you do too much damage. Weight piles up fast. Don't wait too long because you'll be sorry. It doesn't matter what anyone says to you about how you are doing at this point. You can get on a scale and see for yourself. Also you know how your clothes fit. I wish you the best of luck. I really do. It's not easy to do but it can be done... one day at a time. Don't give up. PEACE!!!!!!
  • joshuamhort
    Options
    Thank you everybody for the comments. I am currently stuck living at home with my parents. My entire income (small as it is) goes into putting gas in my car and student loans. I am primarily looking into losing weight to go into some form of law enforcement or military. Currently looking for better paying job, or more jobs, that will allow me to move out on my own.

When I was going to school, I was eating healthier, eating less, and feeling better about myself. I was exercising a lot more as well. Since I had to go back to my parents house to get on my feet, I want to work with my family to change the situation. For a while, I was in charge of planning meals and buying groceries. I am also expected to do the cooking. When I get healthier foods, I get nothing but complaints or questions about why I don't get some simple to make foods like ramen. Example: I buy yogurt because I like it for a snack, I get complaints about how they don't want their money spent on yogurt even though it is my job to keep everybody fed. Oatmeal? Only if I am going to make cookies with it. This is where my frustration lies.

I will track what I eat, I just hate seeing it though because I always get somebody who complains about what I get and then they go and fill the shelves with unhealthy snacks, which leaves me no room for the food I like and want to eat to get healthy. They are of the mindset that the cheap, instant food, is satisfying enough. I don't share that experience. They tell me I just need to cut back. That doesn't work though when you have a burrito and still feel sharp, stabbing, hunger pains and half an hour later you are shaky from lack of something.

This is what I will do then, I will start planning my meals (separately from everyone else if need be), for a week in advance. I will then buy what I need for those meals, and have a couple alternative meals ready for when I either don't feel like making something or end up picking up an extra shift at work.

If you are able to go back far enough in my food journal, you can see the difference of when I was at school and when I was at home. School had massive amounts of salads and omelets with some toast, an occasional cheeseburger (maybe not so occasional, but tried for only one or two a week). Home is junk food mania.

The end result is that I am in a living situation that I am desperately trying to escape, so I can make my own choices without people in my physical vicinity bringing me down with their negative attitudes. They say they want me to lose the weight, and then only criticize the choices I make or talk about how unfeasible it is to eat certain ways.

It doesn't help that I get bored with different workouts either, even when I change it up. I used to love the treadmill, with the different exercise programs, but it is monotonous now. Same with the elliptical. I try going for a walk down the road, and get bored with the same scenery every day. No matter what path I take. I have taken them all around my house. Classes at the Y are fun, and I should go more, but I am almost always scheduled to work during the classes I enjoy. I also enjoy going to the tennis courts, but I need a partner and those are hard to come by around my house. I realize my biggest problem is my mindset, followed by the attitudes of the people around me. I am going to work on fixing my mindset and ignoring the people around me. I will find different activities that I can do to keep myself from getting bored with exercising. i will make myself succeed.

So, again I thank you all for your responses, and I will track my food so my friends can all help encourage me to make better choices the next time around.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Just one thing: NOTHING can stop you if you want something BAD ENOUGH. That's where it has to begin.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • margaretrican
    margaretrican Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Look into Boot Camps, I also get bored of workouts and I found that Boot Camps change it up so that its not the same all the time and helps you lose and make you strong. My trainer is pretty reasonable you maybe able to find one too. I had a gym membership and have cancelled it because nothing has kept me motivated as much as the Boot Camp.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, it sounds as though you have some great ideas to take charge of your own health, that's fantastic.
    I second the suggestion to set yourself some small goals, not related to weight loss. Counting down the pounds can get really tedious because it takes so long to see a real change.

Smaller and more achievable goals are much more fun - you can track them on a chart or an app or just in your head, the important thing is that you can see that you ARE doing positive things for yourself, even when you aren't completely in control of your living situation. Try things like:
    - eat a healthy breakfast every day (you can eat oatmeal even if they don't like it)
    - exercise every day for at least 15 mins.
    - try one new food or class or exercise routine each week
    - swap a sugary coffee or fizzy drink for a water at least once each day
    - Plan all your meals for a week
    - no seconds after dinner for a whole week

These things aren't hard to do and if you did just one of these each week, then in a month or two you have a really good foundation for healthy living.

Good luck!
  • allyjoy83
    allyjoy83 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hi Josh,

Food: You are in quite the predicament. Living in a situation where you are at the mercy of others' unhealthy choices isn't fair to you. The only suggestion I can make is to take back on the responsibility of shopping, or find ways to compromise on the shopping. Maybe make a list of things you want your parents to bring back from the store so that you can make your meals while they continue to purchase their "quick/easy foods." Healthy foods are NOT expensive. I've recently changed my eating habits, and I'm constantly surprised to find that I spend WAY less on food now than I did when I was buying "cheap" fast food, or easy meals. If you get circulars in the mail for your local grocery stores, start buying based on the specials. As someone who lived alone for a long time (I now have roommates), I learned the freezer is my friend. Frozen veggies are usually dirt cheap ($2 for a family size package), super easy to prepare, and pretty versatile for recipes. If you can start small with these changes, then maybe you will be able to show your family the benefits of better choices, and that it can be quick.

Workout Schedule: Life is hectic for everyone. In an ideal world, we'd all have a very set schedule, and we'd follow it every day. We're told that we love routine -- that we're creatures of habit, and it's half true. It always depends on the habit. It's not that we have to get up every day at the same time, and work out at a particular time, but that we give our bodies something to do every day that physically challenges it. When it's an 8-4 schedule day, you can take a class, and when it's a late shift, you can go for a brisk walk before going to work, or do a few jumping jacks. The only commitment you have to make is that on each day you do something that is good for you. It's not about the time of day, but about the habit of doing. If you commit simply to being active each day, it makes it easier for you to do it, and it helps to alleviate you from the excuses we tend to make for why we can't do something.

Motivation: Every day is an opportunity to be better. It's not about getting on yourself about what you did not do, but about rewarding yourself for what you DID do. Little victories add up. By acknowledging each small victory, you will gain confidence, and most likely want to do more.

Good luck on your path, and feel free to add me as a friend. :)