3 weeks and still nothing

Options

Replies

• Springer007
    Springer007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You are missing the calorie mark dang near every day. Basically from what I am seeing you are eating to maintain your weight and not lose any. Im not sure why you are puzzled and going to give up after 3 weeks.
    To be blunt, the choice is simple. Either get serious about wanting to lose weight or go on doing what you are doing.
    If you want to lose its simple, Drop it to 1200 calories a day and DO NOT GO OVER. IF you do go over, work it off with excercise.
    And above all record everything you eat. I know its hard, but no one said this was gonna be easy.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It appears you're not eating your workout calories. You could be eating too little.
  • Springer007
    Options
    Not logging your exercise could be your problem. If you are not eating extra when you exercise, your net calories could be way to low, expecially if you are doing HIT training. There is a reason they are supposed to be net calories. Your body will go into starvation mode if you're not getting enough calories. Post those exercise calories, and eat enough so you are near your net calorie goal each day.

This is garbage advice. Do not listen to this starvation mode BS. You will see it all over this site. As long as you are getting at least 1200 calories a day do not listen to this stuff. You will only end up overeating and gaining weight.
  • smartmom0818
    Options
    I think your main and possible only problem is that you must be dehydrated. I looked through your diary and I saw days where you didn't drink any water at all or you hat between 3-6 glasses and honey, coming from someone who weighs more than you and used to eat way more than you, you have to drink more water to flush that salt. At least 8-10 glasses every single day, esp. when you have high sodium days and when you are exercising. Just my opinion. Good luck.
  • Springer007
    Options
    It looks to me like your calorie intake is too high and you are eating to maintain, not lose. Try to slowly replace some of your diet coke with water. Also, as others mentioned, sodium could be cut back. Replacing diet coke is an easy way to start lowering sodium. Good luck and don't give up! :)

PLEASE don't listen to this - at your weight there is not a snowball's hope in hell that 1500 calories are too much!! You are not logging exercise and it sounds like you are doing a lot - log it and eat it...Sodium can be countered by getting enough water and potassium, and if you exercise a lot and sweat a lot, it's no big deal - just drink water...
    And btw, there are 35mg of sodium in a can of diet pepsi, and 320mg of sodium in a healthy grilled chicken thigh.....
    Try to lower your carbs from bread and such and up your protein a bit...It worked for me....
    Good luck!

Psh,,, yeah "EAT More" thats the solution!!! Please Dont listen to crap like this.
  • Springer007
    Options
    and NO you don't need to eat back your calories from exercising...your body is not going to go into starvation mode from eating too little..unless you have like no body fat

Amen. Someone gets it.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yes you can eat low calories, lose weight and like me, gain it all back because your body was starving and continues to starve on a super low calorie diet.

Make sure you are eating the right amount and stop focusing on the scale - focus on how your clothes feel and how YOU FEEL.
  • sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It looks to me like your calorie intake is too high and you are eating to maintain, not lose. Try to slowly replace some of your diet coke with water. Also, as others mentioned, sodium could be cut back. Replacing diet coke is an easy way to start lowering sodium. Good luck and don't give up! :)

PLEASE don't listen to this - at your weight there is not a snowball's hope in hell that 1500 calories are too much!! You are not logging exercise and it sounds like you are doing a lot - log it and eat it...Sodium can be countered by getting enough water and potassium, and if you exercise a lot and sweat a lot, it's no big deal - just drink water...
    And btw, there are 35mg of sodium in a can of diet pepsi, and 320mg of sodium in a healthy grilled chicken thigh.....
    Try to lower your carbs from bread and such and up your protein a bit...It worked for me....
    Good luck!

Psh,,, yeah "EAT More" thats the solution!!! Please Dont listen to crap like this.

It works. I eat nearly all my exercise calories back and have been losing steadily. It may not have worked for you...that doesnt mean it can't work for others.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You might be starving, not for calories, but for nutrients. Weight loss aside, much of what you are eating is not optimal nutrition. No one needs to be prefect, but aim for a little better.

The rest is just a guessing game. Sodium effects some, not others. Cutting carbs helps some, not others. Some people need less calories than others. Because of your age and the fact that you have a lot to lose, I don't think you need more than 1500. But that's just my guess. I think if you clean up your diet and stick to the 1500, you'll see results.

A huge change in diet and exercise can shock the system and sometimes it takes your body some time to let go of the weight.
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Just be sure you're really logging everything, and do log the exercise.
    As other people said, the drinking water is really important, as well as getting rid of the fast food, etc. culprits.
    Whether one eats one's exercise calories or not is a personal thing - some people need to, others stay pretty close to the default 1200, and some in between. What counts is what is going to work for one's body. As a post-menopausal woman myself, I'd say stay somewhere in between and see how that goes.
    Within reasonable amounts, fruit is NOT the enemy - too many refined carbs, junk fats, fast food, etc. are. If one is eating clean whole foods within a decent calorie amount, one will be a lot healthier and the weight should come off. Some people, due to their individual biochemistry might have to be stricter than others, as in eating lower-sugar fruits only - others have more leeway. With grains, some people really have to severely limit, or even eliminate them from their diet in order to lose, and keep their blood sugar under control. But guaranteed, white flour products aka refined carbs do bloat one up, especially in the tummy as one gets older. This is why it pays to shift to an unrefined foods diet at menopause, if one hasn't done so before. One reason is because our metabolisms have slowed somewhat, making it that we need fewer calories overall, but they'd better be good ones. A LOT less leeway for junk. Sure, when one is 21, it almost doesn't matter what one eats(but it will catch up with one) - one can eat cheeseburgers, fries and soda/beer and still have a flat tummy, while the same thing when older is a recipe for disaster as far as weight gain and all. Same like when one is 21 or so, one can stay up all night cramming for an exam, or at a festival, and still look great the next morning with no makeup, while again, at middle age, not at all LOL!
    A final note, at menopause and after, if one is not taking hormones(which come with their own problems and personally I don't touch them with a 10-ft. pole)one's body is definitely fighting fat loss, because in the absence of the ovarian function pumping out estrogen, our adrenals and fat cells are doing it instead. As a result, the adrenals are greatly stressed and often pumping out cortisol, which is notorious for packing on the belly fat. Depressing, I know. This is why it takes being stricter than when younger, and more smart exercise too. What's smart for one person might not be so good for another. Last but not least, finding ways to de-stress. This often gets overlooked, but it does make a difference. This is one reason why yoga and Pilates, while not being high calorie burners in themselves are very good, as they do de-stress, so one of these should be in your program. I love Pilates myself - it's one of the 4 things that I do. Anyhow, best of luck!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    You are missing the calorie mark dang near every day. Basically from what I am seeing you are eating to maintain your weight and not lose any. Im not sure why you are puzzled and going to give up after 3 weeks.
    To be blunt, the choice is simple. Either get serious about wanting to lose weight or go on doing what you are doing.
    If you want to lose its simple, Drop it to 1200 calories a day and DO NOT GO OVER. IF you do go over, work it off with excercise.
    And above all record everything you eat. I know its hard, but no one said this was gonna be easy.

I agree with this. I try my best to stick between 1100 and 1300 calories a day, and that's really been working for me. I have a lot of weight to lose, and 1200 calories is PLENTY for me. I think 1500 actually sounds like a lot..especially for a woman. When I first started using MFP I logged my height wrong, so they gave me a goal of 1450..I was eating that and barely losing!! Then I relogged my height, my daily goal is now 1330..but i try not to even eat that!! I do Power 90 6 days a week and I don't eat back my calories. I find this to be helping me lose the best way. Since May 7 I've lost 21 lbs, averaging 10 lbs a month, which I think is ideal. So many people on here talk about starvation mode and not eating enough....... YOU'RE NOT GOING TO STARVE IF YOU EAT 1200 CALORIES. ...and yes, you can stay full all day while eating 1200 calories..it's all in WHAT you choose to eat. I do my best to eat healthy snacks and meals all day long. On weekends, I tend to have 1 cheat day just because welp..I'm female, I have cravings, and it's what works for me. I always get back on track!
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm not a professional, just offering advice as I have learned it.

You should be doing your measurements and your body fat. If you are working out 5-6 times a week you are gaining muscle and losing fat. For example, (just a visual example) if a pound of fat takes up a 6" square and a pound of muscle takes up a 3" square you could weigh more but be smaller.

When I was a size 8, I weighed 125.
    When I was a size 0, I weighed 145.
    The difference was the amount of weight that was muscle vs body fat.
    I'd take the 145 with a 18% body fat over 125 with a 30% body fat any day!

As a side note, are you monitoring your sugar intake and not just calories? That made a huge difference for me! I monitor calories, fat, carbs, protein, cholesterol, fiber and sugar. I don't monitor the sodium as I have extremely low blood pressure and need help keeping it stabalized and salt does the trick.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Workouts 5-6 times per week - eliptical HIT, treadmill HIT or walking plus some weights.

I'd workout only 3x a week and eat 1500 daily.
    5-6 seems excessive.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I looked at the last week of your diary and you are continuously going over either your calories, your macros, or both. Way high on the sodium and sugar.

You need to get your diet in check. That's why you aren't losing.
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    You can get past this and will. I've looked at your diary as well and It appears you're not drinking enough water. I try to drink at least half my body in water oz. such as... if i weighed 200lbs i would try and drink 100oz of water a day. Not only does it help keep me full but it flushes the fat as well.

Also for me it's been a great help having a good handful of friends to help support me and i support them. :)
  • jjbcc99
    jjbcc99 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this! I'm no stranger to this site and this is the first time I've experienced no weight loss and i'ts been 20 days for me! However, I'm hanging in there. I'm on vacation now, so I know this week will be challenging, but will get back on track next week and hope for some results. I know my sodium has been horrible and it was helpful to read the comments; which were uplifting and reminded me to just keep at it. We have to stay positive and stick with it! Remember... it took time to get the weight on so it will take some time to get it off. Feel free to add me if you like; we can get through this hurdle together, in an effort to live well! :flowerforyou:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As much as I would like to debate most of the information in here, I would rather show some math. Your estimated BMR is 1739 calories (I don't have your height, so I took the average female height of 5'5). You are at least moderately active since you workout 5-6 days a week. And from there we can form a deficit and figure out your caloric needs.

TDEE = 1739 *1.55 = 2695 <-- about how many calories you burn on average.
    CN = 2695 *.8 = 2156 <--- about how many calories you should eat.

I would suggest eating 1850-2100 calories a day. I generally also suggest eating 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. Now, the one kicker in this equation could be your hormones since you are premenopausal. And unfortunately math doesn't equate for this hormones.

Now, I know a lot of people will say, that is too many calories, but I can tell you I have worked with women who are 5'2, 120 lbs and doing programs like insanity and they eat 2000 calories and still continue to cut body fat. What most people don't realize is that you have to fuel your body to burn fat and not muscle. You can do 1200 calories a day, but you have a great chance that your body will catabolize it's own muscle to create energy.

BTW, when I first did p90x, I ate 1800 calories and didn't lose any weight, any inches or even a lb. I then did chalean extreme (a light version of p90x) and ate 2600 calories, and then I lost 11 lbs, 3% body fat and 6" and I am very close to my goals.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Took me about a month to lose 1 or 2 pounds. Eat right, track everything that goes in ur mouth, drink lots of water, and exercise. It takes time. Believe me, I know lol:smile:
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. I try my best to stick between 1100 and 1300 calories a day, and that's really been working for me. I have a lot of weight to lose, and 1200 calories is PLENTY for me. I think 1500 actually sounds like a lot..especially for a woman. When I first started using MFP I logged my height wrong, so they gave me a goal of 1450..I was eating that and barely losing!! Then I relogged my height, my daily goal is now 1330..but i try not to even eat that!! I do Power 90 6 days a week and I don't eat back my calories. I find this to be helping me lose the best way. Since May 7 I've lost 21 lbs, averaging 10 lbs a month, which I think is ideal. So many people on here talk about starvation mode and not eating enough....... YOU'RE NOT GOING TO STARVE IF YOU EAT 1200 CALORIES. ...and yes, you can stay full all day while eating 1200 calories..it's all in WHAT you choose to eat. I do my best to eat healthy snacks and meals all day long. On weekends, I tend to have 1 cheat day just because welp..I'm female, I have cravings, and it's what works for me. I always get back on track!

I've eaten at over 1600 since starting. My numbers don't lie.

OP start logging everything. It sounds like your issue might be logging so fix that first then you'll have a better idea. Do you measure your food?
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    looks to me like you need to be paying more attention to ur sodium intake and cut it down dramatically.... salt makes you retain water ya know