Tons of Spinach

Options
pittcurl
pittcurl Posts: 82 Member
Okay we just ended a huge curling event where I was involved with the food. We had tons of bags of spinach left over and I took one of the huge bags home. Now I'm not knowing what to do with it. Normally I add it to salad, but like I said a lot to work through before it goes bad. Please help! You guys are so awesome on this!

Replies

• Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Spinach goes with so much, I'm about to add it to my eggs for dinner. Just throw it in whatever if it sounds good :P
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i love spinach!!! i put it in sandwiches in place of lettuce or on top of it, in my scrambles, with my dinners, steamed spinach is delicious, on chips if youre having chips & dip, you can even use it IN PLACE of chips, in my wraps, i mix it in my tuna, on my pizza....you name it. if i have rice i usually mix in some steamed spinach with it. put it in your quesadillas. the list goes on.

23mAiZR.jpg23mAm7.png
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Sautee it in a skillet with EVOO and garlic powder? Great flavor. I've also heard of some people using it to make "green smoothies", or whatever. I'm sure the possibilities are endless.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    chop it up and put it in -
    spaghetti sauce
    sautee it
    eggs
    mac n cheese
    meatloaf
    pizza
    sandwiches
    salads
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You can steam it and put in small portions in the freezer to pull out whenever you need/want.

Easy Breezy!
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    boil some up add a soft boiled egg in the center of it, it's good like that!
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    If you steam a huge bag of spinach, you will end up with about 1/2 cup. ;-)

One of my favorite ways to eat spinach is with chicken and cherry tomatoes that have been sauteed in olive oil, garlic, white wine and chicken broth, with some herbs added for seasoning.
  • SAMartin321
    Options
    What I have found with spinach is if you cook it, it takes a HUGE pile of it to make a serving. I saute a heaping pile of it lightly in EVOO with some minced, not pressed, garlic, as much as you like. Dress it with a little lemon juice and salt and pepper and it's delish. Just don't overcook it, like my mother used to. It should be partially raw looking when you take it off the heat.

Keeping that quantity in mind, when I make a fresh salad out of it, I eat it until I'm tired of chewing, figuring that it's going to "cook" down to nearly nothing inside my body. It's so good for you. So, I say, eat away!!
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you steam it and freeze it in portions, you can use it in recipes later (quiche, pasta, smoothies, etc)

Also, curling in the summer??!?
  • oranb
    oranb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    make a yummy green juice.
  • cinasana
    cinasana Posts: 40
    Options
    The BEST yummiest shake EVER! :-) And it's even in the MFP directory already lol. It's very popular since the release of Drew Manning's book "Fit2fat2fit"

Enjoy!!

(p.s. you don't even remotely taste the spinach...)

http://60daydude.com/2011/12/30/fit2fat2fitspinachshake/
  • TheMiddlePath
    TheMiddlePath Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Saute with non-stick spray, some garlic powder, pepper and a pinch of salt.

Mix into some Fage 2% Greek yogurt for a delish side dish or dip. I just grab a spoon and go!
  • cOOkieLpX
    cOOkieLpX Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    sauteed with garlic, onion and mushrooms over a chicken breast yuuuuummmyy!! or sauteed with a little bit of pepper flakes and add a little oyster sauce and a splash of soy sauce on brown rice
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    I have spinach in my eggs every morning! :) put it in plastic ziplock bags and it will last longer.
    make artichoke spinach dip.
    make a spinach quiche.
    Put it in a blender with some fruits and drink a health shake.
    cook it with some cherry tomatoes and put it on a sandwich.
    Puree it and make a soup.
    Don't puree it and make a soup.
    :) I love Spinach.
    Cook it and eat it plain!
    It's delicious....
    You can also give it to people.
  • pittcurl
    pittcurl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys sooo much for the help, as usual! I think I'll be sauting it up and putting it with everything!!! I'm so excited over spinach (easily amused today).

And yes curling in the summer. Pittsburgh has their bonspiel in July since we are an arena league. I'm actually going to Charlotte, NC next month for the "Grits and Granite" bonspiel.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    add to eggs and other veggie dishes..... Spinach is so yummy!!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I am making the recipe below for dinner tonight, it's so delicious :) I have a bunch of recipes on my blog on my page, feel free to add and check it out!

Farfalle with Mushrooms and Spinach
    This makes 4 servings. I hope you all enjoy :) (You can add meat if you'd like, you will just have to adjust the nutritional values!)

Ingredients-

6 ounces dried farfalle (bow-tie pasta)

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped

1 cup sliced portobello, or other fresh mushrooms

2 cloves garlic, minced

4 cups thinly sliced fresh spinach

1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme (or dried)

1/8 teaspoon pepper

2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions-

1. Cook farfalle according to package directions. Drain well.

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil or medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms, and garlic; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until mushrooms are nearly tender. Stir in spinach, thyme, and pepper; cook 1 minute or until heated through and spinach is slightly wilted. Stir in cooked pasta; toss gently to mix. Sprinkle with cheese.

Nutrition- Recipe makes 4 servings, Nutrition is based on one serving.

Calories 219, Protein 9, Carbohydrate 35, Total Fat 5, Cholesterol 2, Saturated Fat 1
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Steam it and chop it up. You can than make spinach dip, add it to scrambles eggs, use it instead of lettuce on sandwiches, sauces, meats, pastas, etc. You can than freeze it.

When I make spinach as a side for dinner it takes a whole bag to make enough for two people (not sure how large your bag is). It shrinks down when cooked.