Love YA books but no longer in teens!

Options

Replies

• miss_september
    Options
    I read YA books too...it's a nice vacation for my brain =-)
  • josephine0701
    josephine0701 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Nope! Thats on my TBR list, any other books u think I would like?
  • josephine0701
    josephine0701 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I saw The Giver in a bookstore yesterday, I dint get it cos I havent looked up the reviews for it, is it a good book? Oh man, books are so exp and my list is growing!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Books

http://www.gutenberg.org
    40,000 free titles (more classics / out of copyright stuff than the modern YA)

Amazon
    kindle for PC is free and they have dozens of books across multiple categories for free on a daily basis... win win...

Don't buy at retail if you don't have to... yardsales I picked up a dozen books for $0.10 each this weekend, my library does a clearout occasionally, $2 for as many as you can fit in a grocery bag... some clubs will have a leave one take one book exchange if you're not attached to the items, read it and won't go back to it? trade it for something you haven't read.
  • BahamaMama77
    BahamaMama77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh man, books are so exp and my list is growing!

I haven't paid for an ebook in so long. I use pixelofink.com for a daily list of free (or discounted) kindle books.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just read what I said earlier... I will pay retail on a book if the author has proven themselves to be entertaining in the past, if there's a book I read and don't put down basically til it has been read cover to cover I'll pay "full" retail for more of their books. But I do look for the cheaper options such as the Anne McCaffrey collection i scored at a yardsale for $5 for 20 books... costs more than that for a single book at the bookstore.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Epic-Dave-Grohl-is-epic.jpeg
  • bex_89
    bex_89 Posts: 23
    Options
    A books a book no matter who it may be "written" for. I'm sure the author didn't plan on only teens liking them.
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love YA books! :)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I STILL read YA fiction, and I have a daughter who is the "right" age for them. There is nothing wrong with it - a lot of them are well written and enjoyable - not all, but a lot.

BTW, if you're looking for a new author/series, try Tamora Pierce's Tortall series. Start with Alanna: The First Adventure. (fantasy) Percy Jackson series by Rick Riorden was also very enjoyable.

And yes, The Giver is a good book.

Do you have access to a local library? I generally only buy book that I've checked out 2 or 3 times to re-read (unless I find a great deal or my whole family loves them).
  • hellokitty41489
    Options
    I'm 23 and loud and proud about my love for YA lit :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm 45 and loved the Hunger Games, read all the Twilight books (though I still have mixed feelings about some of the messages there) and have enjoyed a number of other books that fall into the YA category.
    If they are well written and tell a good story, no reason not to read them.

The one I've really enjoyed most recently is "The Host" by Stephanie Myers - I thought this was much better than all the Twilight books.
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad! I have a close friend who is focusing her MA in literature on YA lit.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Anyone else here like me? Should I stop reading them?

I read lots of things, and IMO there is zero shame in enjoying YA fiction :). I have no intention of ever growing out of it. They're such a simple pleasure.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    So yea, Im 22 and I love my YA books! Dystopian novels are my favorite, well Im no longer 17 which the target audience mostly are. Anyone else here like me? Should I stop reading them? Not sure if I will ever grow out of them lol

I love YA books and probably always will. If you like dystopian novels, have you tried The Uglies series?
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I am 35 and LOVE YA books!! HP, Twilight, ERAGON!!! Many others too, but those are my FAVES!!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I love scott westerfield's steampunk books.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    oh you sweet summer child ;)

There's nothing wrong with reading YA at any age! YA lit isn't any more lowbrow, immature, shallow or poorly written than so called adult fiction. Some of my all-time favorite fiction is YA and I'm 28.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options

ME TOO. Just recently finished Leviathan and looking forward to reading the second one.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

ME TOO. Just recently finished Leviathan and looking forward to reading the second one.

BARKING SPIDERS!!!