Quitting smoking and weight gain.

Options
Hey,

Have any of you guys quit smoking since trying to loose weight on mfp?

Just read this article >>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/jul/10/smokers-weight-gain-underestimated?CMP=twt_fd
and it says that on average there's a gain of 4-5kg in a year for a high percentage of quitters (though a smaller % still lost).

It says this is because nicotine is an appetite suppressant and so obviously when you quit you have a bigger appetite.

So yeah, has anyone had any issues with weight when they stopped smoking? I'm interested to know because I'm smoke free now for almost two weeks!

Replies

• jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Hey there! I am on Day 29 of not smoking and have gained 2 pounds. It is very frustrating and I can definitely tell all I want to do now is eat. I try to chew lots of gum and brush my teeth after meals. I am hoping that once i begin training for my half marathon I will lose the weight. We shall see. Don't give up and be strong! :flowerforyou:
  • fayelein
    fayelein Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It's annoying isn't it! You're doing something good for you body but then you want to eat!

I've not felt more hungry these past few days but thinking back to the first weekend all I wanted to do was eat!
  • kaliso
    kaliso Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight after I quit smoking cold turkey a few years ago.. Like 10 pounds in a month. I was smoking about a pack and a half a day. For me it was more the movement from hand to mouth and not necessarily the nicotine, although i'm sure that played a large role. Have you tried the gum? I hear it works pretty well and can at least get the cravings down.
  • fayelein
    fayelein Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight after I quit smoking cold turkey a few years ago.. Like 10 pounds in a month. I was smoking about a pack and a half a day. For me it was more the movement from hand to mouth and not necessarily the nicotine, although i'm sure that played a large role. Have you tried the gum? I hear it works pretty well and can at least get the cravings down.

Yeah I think for me too it's the habit and routine of having something to do with your hands! Think I might get some of the gum for emergencys!

I hadn't thought about that quitting smoking may have a knock on effect until reading the article now I'm a bit scared haha
  • StrawberrySt
    StrawberrySt Posts: 235
    Options
    I quit smoking 6 months ago, about the same time I joined MFP. I was determined not to put on weight so I wanted to track what I ate.

I have lost 5lbs since quitting!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I do eat more and crave more fod. But I was determined to put healthy food into my body rather than junk food. I really think putting on weight from quitting is an excuse and you don't HAVE to put on weight if you are disciplined.

I also replaced smoking with exercise and when I had bad cravings I would go for a walk or a jog.

I cut out alcohol, coffee and anything else I associated with smoking which helped with the weight loss.

You can quit without gaining, it's just willpower!!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • mystichristy
    mystichristy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking May 23rd and not a single pound gained. I am using an electronic cigarette and my doctor approved. I am getting the nicotine without all the yucky stuff and I still have a hand to mouth motion. I LOVE my e-cig!!! Give it a try!:bigsmile:
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Considering quitting again myself. Yes I said again! This will make #4! Anyways...something that does help is when you have the urge, brush your teeth. Chew sugar free long lasting flavor gum. Try to avoid lollipops but it is a great had to mouth replacement! Drink more water and get sunflower seeds in the shell...another great hand to mouth replacement. Best of luck and don't forget to log your gum, lollipops and sunflower seeds!
  • subzerolv
    subzerolv Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I quit in Sept '2010 and gained 30lbs! I'm still trying to lose it. For me I think the biggest issue was walking. 3-4 times a day i would have to trek out to the back 40 to a place I could smoke at work. After I quit, no more walking :(
  • vsecret921
    vsecret921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I quit 4 yer ago. I smoked 2 pks a day of Marb. Reds - I gained 35lbs. Now Im trying to lose it all - the weight was worth it not to be smoking anymore
  • barnybyrd
    barnybyrd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I gained about 30 when I quit, didn't try to lose until recently. Have lost 15 so far, half down, half to go. I really have to watch my eating. Everything tastes so much better now that I have my taste buds back. Good luck to all you new quitters, some days will be ok, some hard.