Any ladies afraid of bulking up too much?

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if you misunderstood me. I am new here. I have not been here a long time. I have recently started lifting, and the constant talk about "you will not get bulky", when I never thought I would was demotivating to me (to me that is being talked down to). But, I've stuck with it regardless of that. Also all the talk about people not understanding science is also frustrating to me, I guess because I studied science in college and I'm married to a physicist, so my life is immersed in real science. I shouldn't have to keep repeating that, it shouldn't even be an issue. Also, like I said, being a professionally trained dancer, it is a myth on here that dancers are not also exceptionally fit.

I appreciate what you are trying to do. I guess it has the opposite impact on some people.

But, you are doing great! And you look beautiful. And you should be very proud of that!! And that itself is inspiring!

My tone of voice is not conveyed online. Do you understand where I am coming from now? It is definitely not my intention to upset anyone. I think maybe these forums are just not for me. :flowerforyou:

I do think some women get scared away from weight lifting when they hear that they have to eat at a surplus and are unsure of what that means or what options they actually have (I can understand that).
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Messed up earlier so I won't put the quote in this time. I was just going to say I have lost 18 and have 7 more to go but I have stayed where I am for a while so I've decided to try cutting the calories back a little and drink more water. I lift heavy when I strength train 2 to 3 times a week. My clothes fit great and this might be my stopping point but I'm gonna try to lose a little more body fat, hopefully.

EPOC (Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption) is a measure of increased oxygen consumption after exercise or strenuous activity. EPOC is also accompanied by a post-exercise increase in energy (also recognized as an increase in metabolism.)

Your “EPOC” after strength training is significantly higher than after cardio training. Lifting will burn more calories…during the session…AND after....

plus, the more muscle you build,the more you'll burn while you're not doing anything!!!!!

Actually, while it is higher, it's not significantly higher, and the initial burn in cardio usually makes up for it when averaged out. Strength training is about more than calories out for sure though.

The rest is 100% accurate however. Additionally, there's some hormonal things going on with real strength training (I mean a heavy program that progressively increases loads, not Chaleen Extreme) that typical cardio just doesn't give.

Either way, excellent thread topic...I feel this should be repeated every couple days lol.
  • desireedare
    Options
    Messed up earlier so I won't put the quote in this time. I was just going to say I have lost 18 and have 7 more to go but I have stayed where I am for a while so I've decided to try cutting the calories back a little and drink more water. I lift heavy when I strength train 2 to 3 times a week. My clothes fit great and this might be my stopping point but I'm gonna try to lose a little more body fat, hopefully.

EPOC (Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption) is a measure of increased oxygen consumption after exercise or strenuous activity. EPOC is also accompanied by a post-exercise increase in energy (also recognized as an increase in metabolism.)

Your “EPOC” after strength training is significantly higher than after cardio training. Lifting will burn more calories…during the session…AND after....

plus, the more muscle you build,the more you'll burn while you're not doing anything!!!!!

Actually, while it is higher, it's not significantly higher, and the initial burn in cardio usually makes up for it when averaged out. Strength training is about more than calories out for sure though.

The rest is 100% accurate however. Additionally, there's some hormonal things going on with real strength training (I mean a heavy program that progressively increases loads, not Chaleen Extreme) that typical cardio just doesn't give.

Either way, excellent thread topic...I feel this should be repeated every couple days lol.

"train insane or remain the same"

like i said. if you're doing the same thing over and over and not progressing, you'll never look/feel/get better. Women especially. Weight rooms are intimidating to them for the most part. Plus, they're reading Women's Health Mag every day where there's a different opinion about training posted every day.

I want women who are afraid of getting bulky to realize that they won't if they lift more than 5 lbs.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I think that is the really good thing about lifting, certainly at the stage I am currently at I can increase weights each time, it is rare that I have remained stationary on weights on any of the major lifts.... Seeing progress is awesome, I started deadlifting at the beginning of May lifting 45lb, now lifting 140lb... Where else can you see such progress?
    And I'm losing inches rather than gaining in size :)
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I agree the 3# hand weights won't get you sexy arms.

Don't disrespect the 3# weights. Those are great for keeping your workout chart from blowing away when the ceiling fans are on.

They're also great for propping up the drawing board when I'm working in the kitchen instead of my studio. I may move up to 5# soon because it's a better incline. Progress, ya know? The #3 is great for propping the door open so the AC reaches the workout room!
  • princess4mimi
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Wow, you can deadlift 220-235? How many reps? That's impressive.
    Seriously. I don't do reps at that weight. I think I normally put on 205# and do reps of 6-8. That bar gets really, really hard to hold at that weight. I don't believe in wrist straps but I might be talked into them eventually.

Very nice. I am literally at exactly the same weight and it appears I am almost exactly the same size (maybe slightly taller and heavier). I agree, grip is probably the hardest part right now. I'm pondering trying to switch to hook grip or over/under. I would consider doing the same instead of straps so you can continue to work your grip strength. Or try other grip-intensive exercises like pull-ups (or just practice hanging and such to work the grip). Tore the crap out of my hands yesterday, yeow. Keep up the good work!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Seriously. I don't do reps at that weight. I think I normally put on 205# and do reps of 6-8. That bar gets really, really hard to hold at that weight. I don't believe in wrist straps but I might be talked into them eventually.

Very nice. I am literally at exactly the same weight and it appears I am almost exactly the same size (maybe slightly taller and heavier). I agree, grip is probably the hardest part right now. I'm pondering trying to switch to hook grip or over/under. I would consider doing the same instead of straps so you can continue to work your grip strength. Or try other grip-intensive exercises like pull-ups (or just practice hanging and such to work the grip). Tore the crap out of my hands yesterday, yeow. Keep up the good work!

Hearing info about grip is very helpful to newer lifters that want to learn more (thanks). Important, helpful information that we are looking for, without needing to be condescending. I like that! That gets me listening and hearing. Maybe I'm the only person that feels that way, though. I have no way of knowing.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Hearing info about grip is very helpful to newer lifters that want to learn more (thanks). Important, helpful information that we are looking for, without needing to be condescending. I like that! That gets me listening and hearing. Maybe I'm the only person that feels that way, though. I have no way of knowing.

Again...here is Mark Rippetoe on grip:

http://youtu.be/bTqNSgCmM2s

And press grip:

http://youtu.be/k3_JT85UDp0

As a lifter (at any level, really...and that's no insult to anyone), one of the BEST things you could ever do is go to youtube, and search Mark Rippetoe.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Props to the OP! More people should read this.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'm not afraid of it. Bulking up is encouraged where I work, I'd gladly welcome muscle if it came with functional strength.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I'm not afraid of it. Bulking up is encouraged where I work, I'd gladly welcome muscle if it came with functional strength.

More muscle always offers the potential of increased functional strength. That is completely, 150% up to the person gaining and how they lift.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Again...here is Mark Rippetoe on grip:

http://youtu.be/bTqNSgCmM2s

And press grip:

http://youtu.be/k3_JT85UDp0

As a lifter (at any level, really...and that's no insult to anyone), one of the BEST things you could ever do is go to youtube, and search Mark Rippetoe.

Thanks! Yeah, I've heard of him. That is an important recommendation. No offense taken. I just realized this may be an age gap situation. The OP is more than 10 years younger than me. Maybe younger women are more afraid of bulking up...I don't know. I'm totally open to info and learning. I am doing the NRoL4W right now and loving it (it's pretty basic, but effective and a good way to learn without a trainer). I'm sorry the whole bulk up, barbie weights, women don't know science thing turned me off at first. This is a great thread. And as a dancer, doing weight lifting, my training really helps me with getting the form down quickly. It is important to me to be informed to avoid injury and to not hurt hands/wrists.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah, I've heard of him. That is an important recommendation. No offense taken. I just realized this may be an age gap situation. The OP is more than 10 years younger than me. Maybe younger women are more afraid of bulking up...I don't know. I'm totally open to info and learning. I am doing the NRoL4W right now and loving it (it's pretty basic, but effective and a good way to learn without a trainer). I'm sorry the whole bulk up, barbie weights, women don't know science thing turned me off at first. This is a great thread. And as a dancer, doing weight lifting, my training really helps me with getting the form down quickly. It is important to me to be informed to avoid injury and to not hurt hands/wrists.

Dancers, gymnasts, and martial artists pick up lifting very easily once they're turned on to it. There's a definite form of discipline to proper lifting, and that discipline is the foundation of those arts.

:)
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options

More muscle always offers the potential of increased functional strength. That is completely, 150% up to the person gaining and how they lift.

Yep. I lift the way I do to gain the kind of strength I need for my job (light to moderate weight for longer periods of time, rather than a handful heavy lifts.) The program I follow was designed by our fitness coordinator for muscular endurance rather than olympic style single lifts. It's a better fit for my job. But if bulky muscles came with it, I'd welcome them. I'm not worried about their appearance as much as I'm worried about my capabilities.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Dancers, gymnasts, and martial artists pick up lifting very easily once they're turned on to it. There's a definite form of discipline to proper lifting, and that discipline is the foundation of those arts.

Yes, true! Thanks. I am all for being strong and fit with a high LBM for the rest of my life. I also love Body Combat type of disciplines.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I do not think that women can bulk, but I do believe that lower weights and a high amount of reps can also get your arms looking lean. There is nothing wrong with both ways.

I do 30 pound weights on my arm machine. It's not exactly super heavy, and I'm slowly building up (started at 20). I don't mess with free weights, mostly because I enjoy the machines. I think the "bulk" comes from girls who ONLY life heavy when they are already obese and do not implement cardio. They end up looking like the Trenchable. A mixture of both is best to get the lean look, IMO.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Yes, true! Thanks. I am all for being strong and fit with a high LBM for the rest of my life. I also love Body Combat type of disciplines.

I'm right there with you!

I also study (studied...can't wait to get back to it) Japanese Sword Arts...and maintaining proper form is somewhat difficult with a belly in the way lol.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I'm right there with you!

I also study (studied...can't wait to get back to it) Japanese Sword Arts...and maintaining proper form is somewhat difficult with a belly in the way lol.

Thanks for the conversation. :smile:
  • blinkinglight
    Options
    I can clean and jerk 145#, OH squat 115# deadlift 220#-235#... and I actually do think I'm getting bulky. My husband disagrees, but I'm seeing some pretty big biceps and traps. I'm not going to quit what I'm doing (because I love it)... but I am definitely adding some significant muscles.

I agree the 3# hand weights won't get you sexy arms.

One rep! Those are my 1RMs, sorry if that wasn't clear :)

I am (obviously) new to these boards, and I have no idea what topics are exhausted regularly. It's a good message to get out to women who haven't heard it. If the title doesn't apply to you, no one is forcing you to click on it. :happy: