Sugars

Options
I've cut out most sugars and flour and am eating mostly whole foods. I keep exceeding my MFP allotted sugar grams (26g) during the day. I can do that with one piece of fruit. It just seems a bit low. How many do you consume/allow yourself on a daily basis? (I hope I asked that correctly.)

Replies

• avt85
    avt85 Posts: 64
    Options
    if my sugar intake goes above the amount mfp recommends due to eating fruits, I usually are not bothered too much by it, as most people will tell you, fruits have natural sugars anyway.

but if I exceed it due to processed based sugars, then that's a whole separate discussion.
  • benegesserit
    Options
    I have found that fruit is generally too high in sugar, if I want to stay under my daily sugar limit of 15 gm / day. Instead, I'm trying to eat more low-sugar vegetables like celery, cucumbers, mushrooms, etc.
  • bigpinch
    bigpinch Posts: 21
    Options
    I eat as much as I want, as long as I meet my daily calorie and macro nutrient goals. I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to completely remove or limit any food or food group that I enjoy. Especially fruits, they're so delicious!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I eat as much as I want, as long as I meet my daily calorie and macro nutrient goals. I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to completely remove or limit any food or food group that I enjoy. Especially fruits, they're so delicious!

Ditto.
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I stay under on mines most of the time. You can look at my diary. I've tried to loose weight with higher sugars but for my body it doesn't work.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If it's from fruit, I ignore it. If it's from other stuff, I count it. I refuse to believe eating more than one piece of fruit a day is bad for me.

*edit* That said, I also don't count fruit sugar as totally free -- it's still sugar. I just think MFP's numbers are too low.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I go over sugar almost every day. I know a lot comes from fruit and I don't worry too much about it as long as I'm under my calorie goal...I have a sweet tooth and if I didn't satisfy it,vid binge out on something else.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm usually double the MFP recommendations - I'm on a low sodium diet which means a great deal of my diet is fruit and dairy - which are both high in sugar. I don't track the sugar - it is impossible. I've only seen one person who was consistantly under on his sugar - but his diet was extremely BORING. I couldn't eat like that. I think if you are borderline diabetic or diabetic it is important to track your sugar. For most people, if we just limit our added sugar and eat healthy we should be fine. Fruit has many benefits - vitamins, minerals and helps us fight sickness. It would be foolish to eliminate it from our diets.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    fruit is fine, its whole grains and wheats , breads & pastas you need to be leery of, they are all sugar....but do they show up as carbs? then they turn to sugar I think lol
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    your body processes sugar from an apple the same way as it does sugar from a snickers. sugar is sugar.

also, unless you have diabetes or some other medical reason that prohibits sugar, you don't even really need to track it. track your carbs, keep in calorie limit and you're good to go.
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too, but I find if my total calories are under I still lose weight. If you want to get it lower, avoid particularly sugary fruits (banana, pineapple) and replace them with berries.
  • bigpinch
    bigpinch Posts: 21
    Options
    your body processes sugar from an apple the same way as it does sugar from a snickers. sugar is sugar.

also, unless you have diabetes or some other medical reason that prohibits sugar, you don't even really need to track it. track your carbs, keep in calorie limit and you're good to go.
    ^^^^^^THIS! Well said!
  • cddonald22
    cddonald22 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You all said exactly what I was thinking. I have cut out processed sugars so the sugar from fruit is all I'm getting. I try to limit fruit to only 2 per day when I want something sweet. Its better than having a slice of cake! LOL