Running

Options
Hi all! I had a quick question. When you all run how do you shut off that inner voice and space out? I know this is an odd question but when I run all my mind says is, "stop, stop, stop, don't do this, don't even think about another mile, what are you doing, just stop!" but my body doesn't say this. How did you all overcome the mental issues with running?
I set small goals and push to achieve them but can't shut it off. I would love to run a 5K in September but mentally don't feel I can do it....help!

Replies

• utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I sing the song on my iPod in my head. That way nothing else is on my mind but the song. That or I figure out how many calories I'm burning and figure out how to eat back those calories. I do a lot of math in my head while I run :)
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I"m using Endomondo- walking a minute- running a minute - walking a minute- running a minute...and going to up it next week to running 2 minutes walking a minute~

great music goes a long way as well- and if you do the 5K for a cause you really care about- I believe it may push you further-

I'm doing the 4 miler for Breast Cancer Awareness- my cousin, and 3 aunts all had breast cancer- I'm pushing myself for them!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's been said that distance running is largely a mental game (my wife has, more than once, suggested that I'm mental but I digress) for me it was baby steps. Running for a minute, then 2 minutes etc etc until I was able to convince that inner voice that I could run a 5K (ran my first one Sept 2009)

Since then, much to my own surprise, I've gone on to run 10Ks and several half-marathons. You learn to trust your training and believe in yourself.
  • thebebe
    thebebe Posts: 1
    Options
    Using music while you run (upbeat, fun music!) will help you forget that inner voice. Running is definitely a mind game. I like adding fun tunes and singing to them sometimes. Take a new route or run on a different track to view something different each time. :-)
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Just the right music playing usually does the trick...

Florence and the Machines Dog Days Are Over & Shake It Out always keep me moving, also, Lose yourself by Eminem..the lyrics..."If your had one shot, one opportunity, to seize everything you ever wanted....

It gets easier, just keep at it, go a little further each time!

And when all else fails, I just tell that little voice to "shut it!" and keep on moving on!
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Beating this is the best part!

As you get used to running, you might eventually even lose track of some quite large amounts of time running :p

Watch for injuries though, especially at the beginning. If you want a 5k in September, you still have plenty of time for something like Couch to 5k. I started running using that, and I run 5k three times a week now. It's a great program. And as long as you stay within a nice and easy progression, you know you can push hard within those boundaries and stay away from injuries, if you pay attention to things like running form, shoes, plenty of rest and listen to your body during and between workouts.

I really like to beat myself up mentally. I speed up for short hills, sprint for 30 seconds before finishing my workout :p Punishing that voice so that it will think twice before bothering me again! We're done when I say we are :)
  • Epetrovitch
    Epetrovitch Posts: 67 Member
    Options
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    To be honest with you, my mind is "go go go" all day and all night long. If I'm awake, I'm worried about pretty much every aspect of my life... am I forgetting anything for work? How will I get home from work tomorrow? What is my phone bill going to be? Will my hips stop hurting by Thursday morning? I mean, it just goes on and on.

When I go for a run, though, the music starts and all I think about is the run. It's the space I need to get my mind off my house, my kids, my spouse, my job, and just be free. It's cathartic and emergizing. And when I get where I'm going, I feel like I've had a mental deep cleaning. I'm ready for the day.

You just have to get to a point where your run is a highlight in your day, rather than a burden. I understand how you feel... when I lift weights, I have to battle myself to stay in there and work when all I want to do is leave. And to be honest, there are days when I start running and the first mile is a struggle just to keep going.

Try to use your runs as a way to escape and improve yourself mentally as well as physically. Get some great music that motivates you, try new routes, experiment a little with your posture/gait to see what feels right, and find out what really works for you.

Eventually, you'll get past the struggle and you'll start looking forward to your runs =)

Hang in there!
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I use music and a running partner (when she can make it... and having her helps a ton). When I first began running, I would set small goal... things like: I can run to the next light.... then the next.... and so on.

It honestly is more mental then anything...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I use music and run outside.

Outside running around the local lake is a lot more interesting when you are trying to doge Geese and other people!
  • wholenewme03
    wholenewme03 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I listen to good music when I run and I use it as my personal time to daydream and think about nothing that has anything productive to do with my life. I set one up as I start my run, like "what would I do if I won the lottery today?" or "what would I do if my favorite celebrity came to my town and fell in love with me?" silly little things like that. They keep me entertained for about 5 miles or so, then I come up with a new one ;)
  • rozeltf
    rozeltf Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think you're right on with setting small goals. Each time you run your endurance will go up and that inner voice gets quieter. I have never liked running, even many years ago as an athlete - hated running. I started couch 2 5k 4 weeks ago running for 90 seconds and wanted to stop. Today ran three half mile distances (with walks between) and even ran an extra 1/4 mile at the end. Felt good, the voice to stop is getting quieter ... keep up the good work!
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Try a C25K program, there are even free apps for ipod/android etc. I find focusing only on the current/upcoming interval makes me go much further/longer than I realize!

The bonus is that it's a measurable 8 week program (although you can repeat weeks if you have to) that will help you reach your goal.

Edit: If you start C25K now, you'd be finished it by mid September!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I run outside and listen to podcasts. When I listen to music I find I don't have to actually LISTEN to it, so I switched to podcasts.

If music doesn't do the trick for you, I highly suggest giving them a try. There are so many awesome ones. I'm a fan of This American Life, Planet Money, We're Alive.... I find I have to actually listen to podcasts so I forget that I'm suffering.
  • pamina1
    pamina1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I run and chat, or listen to music, or think about the goal to finish the run and how many calories or how fast I have gone.
    I think about how I have improved. I look at the flowers, the houses, the neighbourhood, etc.
    Somedays I think why or how am I going to finish the run....I have very few of these as the run is always worth it in the end.
  • nuclearbanana
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think that voice will ever completely go away. Running is awesome and all, but the little voice in my head screaming, "OH GOD MAKE IT STOP." hasn't ever shut up. I view it as a challenge, ha. Maybe I have superiority issues, but the idea of beating that little voice and showing it how insignificant it is really motivates me. It's nice knowing that despite the obnoxious head-critter, I can still accomplish my running goals.

Have you just started to run? Really, the first three weeks are the worst. Oh, god, I don't even know how anyone (myself included) can push themselves past that introductory period. It's awful. After that, running gets addictive. Geez. How masochistic.

ANYWAYS. Running buddies are AWESOME. I honestly don't think I'd still be running without them, the first few weeks of running with other people (or dog) led me on to start running on my own, after I figured out that it was actually enjoyable.

And view running as a beautiful time to explore the neighborhoods, I find if I run the same path over and over, I get bored and run less. :D
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You just said it.... you tell yourself to stop. Tell yourself to go 2 more minutes or to burn 10 more calories or one more lap.... I have to tell my self these things on the treadmill because it's so boring!.... I prefer to run outside, but it's too hot for that in Phoenix... so I make due.

One more lap.

Two more minutes.

10 more calories.

What started as a 30 minute workout turned out to be 40 minutes....

Music helps a lot, too; but if you're running outside.... please do not get hit by a car!

Oh... and tell yourself that you are a runner and that you enjoy running.... don't tell yourself lies.... but it's true... you are a runner and runners love to run.... so love it!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Using music while you run (upbeat, fun music!) will help you forget that inner voice. Running is definitely a mind game. I like adding fun tunes and singing to them sometimes. Take a new route or run on a different track to view something different each time. :-)

Ditto!

I know that inner voice very well. It's a constant battle, but I'm happy to say I have overcome it. You can DEFINITELY run that 5K in September. Get yourself on a training program, working progressively toward that distance. Good luck! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Typically I focus on a rhythm, such as my breathing, or the sound of my foot-falls. This might sound ridiculous, but I am actually tempted to put bells on my feet the next time I do my 5k. It seems when I can "lock" into a tempo, I do pretty well.

Another thing...I lie to myself. Constantly. I'll pick a spot in the distance and say, "Oh, look how close that is!" over and over in my head, even if it isn't. Then, I finally reach my "goal" and pick another one, and the cycle continues.

Good luck. YOU can do it!
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    Sometimes I focus on my form, how my body feels, and sometimes I just check out; it's like my mind and my body separate. The first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be the hardest for me, then it gets easier. It doesn't hurt to really like running. Like others have said, it's all in your head.