3 weeks and still nothing

Options

Replies

• sasssurf
    sasssurf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Keep going. It took along time for to lose 2 cms. It's different for everyone. Depends I think on how messed up one's metabolism keep on. If only just to be responsible for your actions. It's alchemy. Just to get the right balance of excercise and eating habits.

Good luck.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You are missing the calorie mark dang near every day. Basically from what I am seeing you are eating to maintain your weight and not lose any. Im not sure why you are puzzled and going to give up after 3 weeks.
    To be blunt, the choice is simple. Either get serious about wanting to lose weight or go on doing what you are doing.
    If you want to lose its simple, Drop it to 1200 calories a day and DO NOT GO OVER. IF you do go over, work it off with excercise.
    And above all record everything you eat. I know its hard, but no one said this was gonna be easy.

I agree with this. I try my best to stick between 1100 and 1300 calories a day, and that's really been working for me. I have a lot of weight to lose, and 1200 calories is PLENTY for me. I think 1500 actually sounds like a lot..especially for a woman. When I first started using MFP I logged my height wrong, so they gave me a goal of 1450..I was eating that and barely losing!! Then I relogged my height, my daily goal is now 1330..but i try not to even eat that!! I do Power 90 6 days a week and I don't eat back my calories. I find this to be helping me lose the best way. Since May 7 I've lost 21 lbs, averaging 10 lbs a month, which I think is ideal. So many people on here talk about starvation mode and not eating enough....... YOU'RE NOT GOING TO STARVE IF YOU EAT 1200 CALORIES. ...and yes, you can stay full all day while eating 1200 calories..it's all in WHAT you choose to eat. I do my best to eat healthy snacks and meals all day long. On weekends, I tend to have 1 cheat day just because welp..I'm female, I have cravings, and it's what works for me. I always get back on track!

Weight loss is great, but how much of that is lean body mass?
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    U need wayyy more than 6-8 glasses of water a day...i would say at least half your body weight in ounces :)
  • 140lbgoal
    140lbgoal Posts: 19
    Options
    I was the same way, exercising, eating smaller portions, counting calories and either went no where or gained. I decided to forget about calories and count carbs instead. I lost 24 pounds last month and dropped from a size 18 to a 14. I weighed 204 when I started counting carbs on June 4th and now I weigh 179. I am wanting to lose about 30 or 40 more pounds and the last couple weeks have been difficult because of pre menopause. I am having terrible cravings and sometimes I give in, but I make sure to exercise before my day ends. Speaking of exercise, I had not exercised since 2004 due to my health and now I am loving it, even if I just go for a walk or play around with the weights at the gym, I love how getting in some exercise makes me feel better about myself! If you are serious about seeing a change, pay attention to your carbs and don't eat back your exercise points. Keep hydrated and stop drinking soda of any kind! I find snacking every couple hours is satisfying for me and I tend to eat healthier than if I try to eat 3 meals a day and have a snack. Grab some salami, cheese, an apple and drink a big glass of tea or water with lemon. If you like sweet drinks, use a sweetener, not sugar! I make a gallon of ice tea or kool-aid every day and between myself and my daughter, we drink it all. Get ride of breads of any kind no matter what they have or don't have in them. I was addicted to carbs, pasta, chips, bread, sweet breads, you name it and I ate it. I think it is still with m e on my hips...lol Along with the bread I had soda and after all the salt from the chips or lunch meats, I wanted sweets. I decided to quit coming up with excuses for being fat and realized if I wanted to make a change, I was the only one going to make it happen. I have slowed down on weight loss, but I am losing inches and feeling fabulous, except for when I have nothing to wear like last Sunday because the clothes that I just bought just this past Mother's Day are way too big now! It is so worth it! Good Luck!!!!!
  • lroxey
    lroxey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I read the book The 17 day diet. NO ITS NOT A DIET FAD. It is a really good way to learn what to eat and how to incorporate fruits and veggies. its a series of 4 17 day cycles. My Mother-in-law has heart and kidney problems and her nutritionist recommended this book to her to help with her weight loss and she lost 15 pounds the first cycle, so my hubby and I started it and we both have lost. theres even a support group on here for this book.
  • crystaltate4
    Options
    i would say to look at what ur eating maybe something with to much sodium might be holding u steady, even if u have the cal and fat u could be eating something ur body is storing so i would say go look at what u were eating before u got stuck and c if its changed.
  • lbrabson
    lbrabson Posts: 9
    Options
    Its taken me about 2 months to really focus and take this seriously. I get discouraged a lot and sit in front of the TV too much, so I decided to get rid of cable TV, get off the couch, walk my dog twice a day and go to the gym for a couple of hours. My exercise routine is not strenuous but I am putting more effort to stay longer instead of the average 30 - 60 minutes that I've done in the past. Also, my diet has improved a lot when I can see for the last couple of log ins have really made a difference in my weight loss. I actually feel more energized if I have one zero cal zero sugar energy drink during my work outs...keeps me going...along with my water. I feel fuller during meal times and really have cut back on sugar. It seems to be working and the scale put me under 190 this week after being slightly over 200 forever. Just hope I can keep this up. Add me as a friend if you would like to support me and vice versa. I still have about 50 lbs to go!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    But if she is exercising, she is not getting 1200 per day.

Mom, make your own decision but research it for your own sake. That's what I am doing. I have another article for you to read:

http://optimalbodyweight.com/qa/weight-loss-tips/body/starvation-mode-weight-loss

Thing is, many people lose weight, yes, but we don't know what type of weight. Is it just fat or is it water, or even lean muscle. Everyone has an opinion, I have mine. You have to get yours. I just encourage you to do the research. Losing weight is a serious business, it isn't just "oh, I'm going to lose 50 lbs by such and such time". It takes research, trial and error sometimes, and a real desire to be healthy not just thinner. Unless a person just wants to be thinner and to heck with the consequences.

I won't say anymore on this thread but I do hope you will not listen to anyone without looking into what they are saying.

a friend, denise

You are missing the calorie mark dang near every day. Basically from what I am seeing you are eating to maintain your weight and not lose any. Im not sure why you are puzzled and going to give up after 3 weeks.
    To be blunt, the choice is simple. Either get serious about wanting to lose weight or go on doing what you are doing.
    If you want to lose its simple, Drop it to 1200 calories a day and DO NOT GO OVER. IF you do go over, work it off with excercise.
    And above all record everything you eat. I know its hard, but no one said this was gonna be easy.

I agree with this. I try my best to stick between 1100 and 1300 calories a day, and that's really been working for me. I have a lot of weight to lose, and 1200 calories is PLENTY for me. I think 1500 actually sounds like a lot..especially for a woman. When I first started using MFP I logged my height wrong, so they gave me a goal of 1450..I was eating that and barely losing!! Then I relogged my height, my daily goal is now 1330..but i try not to even eat that!! I do Power 90 6 days a week and I don't eat back my calories. I find this to be helping me lose the best way. Since May 7 I've lost 21 lbs, averaging 10 lbs a month, which I think is ideal. So many people on here talk about starvation mode and not eating enough....... YOU'RE NOT GOING TO STARVE IF YOU EAT 1200 CALORIES. ...and yes, you can stay full all day while eating 1200 calories..it's all in WHAT you choose to eat. I do my best to eat healthy snacks and meals all day long. On weekends, I tend to have 1 cheat day just because welp..I'm female, I have cravings, and it's what works for me. I always get back on track!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I looked at the last week of your diary and you are continuously going over either your calories, your macros, or both. Way high on the sodium and sugar.

You need to get your diet in check. That's why you aren't losing.

She logs 5-6 hours of exercise per week as ONE calorie - and then goes over by 150-200...Which means she still barely nets 1200...reading is so much fun!!:sad:
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Amen to this one Mom, check this out;):drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: PS and it is the very last sentence on this I am agreeing with;)

Weight loss is great, but how much of that is lean body mass?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I looked at the last week of your diary and you are continuously going over either your calories, your macros, or both. Way high on the sodium and sugar.

You need to get your diet in check. That's why you aren't losing.

She logs 5-6 hours of exercise per week as ONE calorie - and then goes over by 150-200...Which means she still barely nets 1200...reading is so much fun!!:sad:

Well technically, there are ways where you would NOT have to track exercise. You don't have to track exercise if you already include your exercise in your TDEE calculation. For example, I workout 6 days a week (I do a p90x/insanity hybrid) and I have a desk job. Most people would call me sedentary, but I have it as moderately active (according to Katch McArdle). I have done this for over a year and have lost weight, cut body fat and maintained my lean body mass (based on weight and body fat calculations).
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    First off, I would go to your doctor and have blood work and a physical. Then you will know if you have any medical condition that you need to address. Let your DOCTOR, not strangers, advise you on how many calories you need to be eating daily to lose weight.

Measure and weigh every bite of food that you eat. Log EVERYTHING. Increase your water intake. Get an HRM so that you have an accurate idea of how many calories you are burning. I find MFP overestimates calories burned in general.

Be patient. You did not put on all of those extra pounds in 3 weeks and you won't take them off in 3 weeks. Everyone has to find what works for THEIR bodies. Don't be discouraged and don't give up. You CAN do this! Best wishes to you.

11613466.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    AHHHH! Hey fellow Wisconsinite! I'm from Milwaukee!
  • ksun10
    ksun10 Posts: 76
    Options
    try to stay positive and stick with it no matter how hard it is. feel free to add me, I make a point of commenting a lot and being very supportive.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    First off, I would go to your doctor and have blood work and a physical. Then you will know if you have any medical condition that you need to address. Let your DOCTOR, not strangers, advise you on how many calories you need to be eating daily to lose weight.

Measure and weigh every bite of food that you eat. Log EVERYTHING. Increase your water intake. Get an HRM so that you have an accurate idea of how many calories you are burning. I find MFP overestimates calories burned in general.

Be patient. You did not put on all of those extra pounds in 3 weeks and you won't take them off in 3 weeks. Everyone has to find what works for THEIR bodies. Don't be discouraged and don't give up. You CAN do this! Best wishes to you.

11613466.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

In all reality, she should see a dietician, not a doctor. The majority of doctors do NOT have a background in nutrition. I can tell you, I know more than my friend who is a doctor in terms of nutrition. They only get 1 or 2 classes in nutrition and many of them will just tell you to eat 1200 or 1500 calories without evaluating your lifestyle/excerise routine. Also, HRM aren't always accurate either. They are just algarythms designed to meet the needs of the majority and in many times will provide you an 80% solution. So unless you go get metabolic testing and other testing to learn your TDEE, then everything is just an estimate. And you don't need a PHD to know that.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I took a good look at your diary and you are consistently over in carbs and sugar. :( That's most likely the reason you're not seeing any weight loss and it also looks like you're not drinking water. You don't have sodium levels showing, but I'm pretty sure by the foods in the diary (restaurant and pre-packaged) that your sodium level may be over as well. These are all elements that are strikes against you.

Hope this helps and feel free to add me as a friend. We can motivate each other!

Laurie

Totally agree - I bet your sodium levels are pretty high. Definitely drink more water, lots more water and veggies!

this is pretty much exactly what i was coming in here to say.

when i stop losing, it's b/c i'm doing too much pre-packaged, which sucks. or i'm not drinking enough water.

drink ALL of your water - at LEAST 8 cups (8 oz per cup, this is three refills of a 24 oz container) and more like 12.

Eat Your Veggies.
  • LexLoveless
    Options
    1500 is alot of calories! What is your resting metabolism, find out how many calories your body would burn if you did nothing at all, and start from there. I dont know how tall you are or how much energy your body requires, but remember its diet and exercise, the only way to lose weight is to burn more than you intake. Thats what it all boils down to, your body has to spend more energy than you give it through food. Best of luck, sincerely hope you move past this slump!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Lots of conflicting info here. IMO, clean up your eating by laying off the pre-packaged foods, and follow this to set your calorie goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • sunshine1946
    Options
    Don't feel bad about it. I was like that before I decide to join MyFitnessPal, I have lost 3lbs since I join in June. Just keep working on it and get some support from family and friends.:flowerforyou:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    First of all, good on you for sticking with this journey and asking for guidance when the going gets tough! You can do it!

Clearly there are a lot of people with different opinions.....different things work for different people. The key to this lifestyle change (and hopefully that's how you're viewing it) is to figure out what works for YOU. Make healthy choices and the results will follow. You will hit bumps in the road and then you change things up and BAM off to the races again!

From what I'm seeing I would highly recommend that you clean up your eating habits before anything else. With the amount that you are aiming to lose, 1500 cal/day should be sufficient for a bit.....but chances are very likely that if you keep working out like you are, you will have to increase. ( I would suggest finding out what your BMR and TDEE are just for reference). Cut the pre-packaged food......that can be such a hindrance in itself. As for the sugar, I would say cut out any specialty drinks (and per-packaged food). For example, iced coffee is soooooo yummy but check the nutritional information.....1 of those suckers is a killer in the sugar department! If you eliminate the majority of the fast food, pre-packaged, and sugary drinks, you probably won't have to worry so much about the fruit. Also, don't worry about the diet soda. I have lost 60lbs and 27inches in 10 months still drinking 1 diet coke/day. Water! DRINK WATER! TONS OF WATER. 8 cups/glasses is very subjective. Get BIG water bottles and fill those suckers up and drink morning until night. It truly does make a difference! I also don't believe you have to eliminate carbs. I think you have to make healthy choices and stay away from anything white (although I eat white rice, so that is my exception) but MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE! If you want this to be sustainable, your changes must be something that you can live with for the rest of your life! This is where the success comes in!

Good luck and I hope that you are successful in finding your balance!