I wanna be a fast runner :)

Options
So I just ran a 5k in 30 minutes yesterday for the first time, but I'm already thinking about what a good goal time is. Looking at the cross country team at my school there are girls running it in 18-19 minutes, which to me seems IMPOSSIBLE.
My questions are:
What is a good goal time to strive for?
and
How can I go about decreasing my time? Do I just keep running it over and over again?

Replies

• 1234567kate9
    Options
    no one has advice? :'(
  • rward007
    rward007 Posts: 32
    Options
    I ran my first 5k a few months ago in about the same time. I'm slowly adding speed. I try running an 8 minute mile a couple times a week to build speed. I also constantly try to improve my pace for 5k runs.

I'm not what my end goal will be, 6 minute miles seem like an improbably goal right now, but I think I might be able to do a 7 minute mile in a few months. I just keep pushing myself.

I have no clue what an ideal time is, but for my I strive to be as fast as my body will take me.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    My understanding (from lots of reading over the last year) is that to be a faster runner - you have to run faster!
    I know that sounds ridiculously simple, but it's the only way to get there.

Try running intervals, farleks, tempo runs... have a look at Runner's World and you will get lots of ideas. They also have a planner that lets you set a goal for a distance and it guides you on what speeds you should be running during the different workouts.
    You might also like to see if there is a running group or club in your area.

One word of advice - don't try to get too fast too soon. Yuu need to ensure that you have the strength in your muscles and joints to support increasing your speed, otherwise you risk getting injured and that's no fun at all!

I'm actually trying not to increase my speed too much at the moment, as I"m training for a half marathon and need to get my distance up there, speed is less important for me. I tried to do both at the same time last year and injured myself and missed my planned first half, so now I'm being cautious.
  • nikknyc
    nikknyc Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Disney wants you to run an 16 minute mile... LOL... i'm trying for a 5k in 26 minutes.
  • Australia2013
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have always been a slow runner - that's okay though because it is what I can do. I've learned that I have endurance, not speed, so while I can always strive for that 7 or 8 minute mile, I will probably only get to a 9 minute and that is with the speed exercises. Fortunately though I have support from my husband who is not only a long distance runner, but a fast long distance runner and he has given me a few tips which have helped me drop a few minutes from my mile time.

Now that you have the endurance to run for 30 minutes straight, start working some speed exercises into your runs. For example, if you are running on a treadmill then warm up for 5-10 minutes, then do a set of do 15 - 20 second sprints and then a minute of recovery, say 8 sets. You will only want to do these a few times a week and then do your regularly paced runs the other days. After a while, you will notice that your regular pace will start to quicken. If you are an outside runner, then every couple minutes add in a sprint that would be the equivalant to 15-20 seconds (3 telephone poles, etc) or the chorus of a song.

Good luck!
  • ksun10
    ksun10 Posts: 76
    Options
    I run every day repeating the mantra "if it doesnt challenge you it doesnt change you." also, I change up how much a run every day. As I am able to run further, I can do the shorter distances faster. Hope this helps
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    To get to a sub 20 min 5K will take a lot of training and determination ( a running coach kind of helps too) and would make you a regional class runner. A sub-25 min 5K would make you a local class runner which is still a pretty lofty goal.

The first thing you need to do is run, run a lot and run distances longer than 5K to build your aerobic base. Once you've laid the foundation you'll need to do speed work (hills, intervals, track repeats etc).There are terrific resources available on the internet, runnersworld.com, runningtimes.com the mcMillan web site (not sure of the URL) and you may also want to pick up a copy of Daniel's Running Formula

With the right training and dedication you can become a very good/competitive runner. Personally I run for fun and my best 5K has been 26:46 (maybe I'll crack 25:00 one of these years).

Whatever you decide have fun!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    If you are new to running, continue your steady pace runs, but increase the distances you do (gradually). To get good in the 5K, ideally you build to a base of 30 miles per week, or as close to that as you have time and energy for. Take about 6 months to a year to do this gradually. Rapid increases in distance can lead to injury.

You alternate long and shorter days, say, 3 miles one day, 6 the next, rest day, 3, 6, rest, 10. Your pace during these runs will vary according to the distance; a little faster on the shorter runs, a little slower on the longer runs, slowest on the long long run. In generally, you are keeping your pace to where you can still converse - not gasping for breath or feeling sick.

A good exercise to do during one or two of these runs per week is the out-and-back. This will help you learn pacing, control, and start to increase speed. Run a given distance, timing yourself, and try to make it back in less time. If you can't do it or if you are really gasping/dying on the trip back, you went out too fast - next time, go out slower. If you can easily make it back more than about 10% faster, you were a little conservative and you can try going out a touch faster the next time.

Once you have maintained your base for several months, you can add some tougher speed workouts, like 800 meter repeats, 400 meter repeats, tempo runs at the 5K or 10K distance, etc.

But build that base first. Just continuing to run will make you faster during these early stages, without the risk of burnout and injury that premature speedwork poses.
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    a good time is a finish time...im like you I got a 10 min pace...but after abt 10 miles or so I level out...most fast runners being doing that all their life, so it natural to them...so to go from 30 mins to 18-19 in a 5k...idk but good luck...fyi if u do make that time...let the rest of us slow runners in on what training you did...lol
  • 1234567kate9
    Options
    thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to take a look at runner's world, and maybe try some speedwork etc. I'll keep working on becoming a more consistent runner though
  • 1234567kate9
    Options
    a good time is a finish time...im like you I got a 10 min pace...but after abt 10 miles or so I level out...most fast runners being doing that all their life, so it natural to them...so to go from 30 mins to 18-19 in a 5k...idk but good luck...fyi if u do make that time...let the rest of us slow runners in on what training you did...lol

Oh trust me I have no expectations of reaching that time, I was just shocked to hear that people could run it that fast! lol I'll stick to a slower time as a goal
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm training on the treadmill, but what I've been doing is running 3 miles four times a week and slowly increasing my speed by 0.1mph each week.
  • ixap
    Options
    I'm training on the treadmill, but what I've been doing is running 3 miles four times a week and slowly increasing my speed by 0.1mph each week.
    That's how I started years ago and it worked great. I alternated between adding a little speed in 0.1mph increments vs. adding a little distance in .5 mile increments each week. I think I went from 5 mph for 24 minutes to 6 mph for 60 minutes over the course of a year.
  • icom100
    icom100 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I must agree with the good advice given here. I used to run about 23 yrs ago. My workouts consisted of and easy 3 to 4 miles on Monday, fast paced 2 to three miles on Tuesday, easy 3-4 miles on Wednesday, three miles of intervals on Thursday, usually consisting of (warm up first, ALWAYS), fast 220 then a recovery 220. The point of intervals is not to try to run "faster" but to develop your leg turn over, or rpm if you will. This is what makes you faster is the turn over. Then on Friday I usually took and easy 2-3 miles. Then Saturday I would do my longer run, which, when I peaked was about 8 miles. I was never a "fast" runner, but this workout made me a "faster" runner. Also, on Sunday, rest, dont run, dont lift weights, nothing. Let your body recover. Its essential. And stay away from junk food.
    Brian
  • lovinlandl
    lovinlandl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options

The first thing you need to do is run, run a lot and run distances longer than 5K to build your aerobic base. Once you've laid the foundation you'll need to do speed work (hills, intervals, track repeats etc).There are terrific resources available on the internet, runnersworld.com, runningtimes.com the mcMillan web site (not sure of the URL) and you may also want to pick up a copy of Daniel's Running Formula

^ This is great advice! Once I increased my distance from 5K to 10K for my long run my short runs got faster. I also added some interval training and hills.

So, basically I ran two short runs (5K), one long run (10K) and bootcamp once or twice a week and that did the trick for me.

Good Luck and half fun shaving time off your pace!
  • ixap
    Options
    The point of intervals is not to try to run "faster" but to develop your leg turn over, or rpm if you will.
    Depending on the intensity, the point is also to enhance your anaerobic capacity; I think this is the main way that 400m repeats are used.

If you are just working on form and turn over, you can do it with shorter intervals, like 50m strides, so that it's not so taxing.
  • SassyJuliana
    SassyJuliana Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump for later