Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Love YA books but no longer in teens!

Replies

• I read YA books too...it's a nice vacation for my brain =-)
  • josephine0701
    josephine0701 Posts: 37 Member
    Nope! Thats on my TBR list, any other books u think I would like?
  • josephine0701
    josephine0701 Posts: 37 Member
    I saw The Giver in a bookstore yesterday, I dint get it cos I havent looked up the reviews for it, is it a good book? Oh man, books are so exp and my list is growing!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Books

http://www.gutenberg.org
    40,000 free titles (more classics / out of copyright stuff than the modern YA)

Amazon
    kindle for PC is free and they have dozens of books across multiple categories for free on a daily basis... win win...

Don't buy at retail if you don't have to... yardsales I picked up a dozen books for $0.10 each this weekend, my library does a clearout occasionally, $2 for as many as you can fit in a grocery bag... some clubs will have a leave one take one book exchange if you're not attached to the items, read it and won't go back to it? trade it for something you haven't read.
  • BahamaMama77
    BahamaMama77 Posts: 25 Member
    Oh man, books are so exp and my list is growing!

I haven't paid for an ebook in so long. I use pixelofink.com for a daily list of free (or discounted) kindle books.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Just read what I said earlier... I will pay retail on a book if the author has proven themselves to be entertaining in the past, if there's a book I read and don't put down basically til it has been read cover to cover I'll pay "full" retail for more of their books. But I do look for the cheaper options such as the Anne McCaffrey collection i scored at a yardsale for $5 for 20 books... costs more than that for a single book at the bookstore.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Epic-Dave-Grohl-is-epic.jpeg
  • bex_89
    bex_89 Posts: 23
    A books a book no matter who it may be "written" for. I'm sure the author didn't plan on only teens liking them.
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    I love YA books! :)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    I STILL read YA fiction, and I have a daughter who is the "right" age for them. There is nothing wrong with it - a lot of them are well written and enjoyable - not all, but a lot.

BTW, if you're looking for a new author/series, try Tamora Pierce's Tortall series. Start with Alanna: The First Adventure. (fantasy) Percy Jackson series by Rick Riorden was also very enjoyable.

And yes, The Giver is a good book.

Do you have access to a local library? I generally only buy book that I've checked out 2 or 3 times to re-read (unless I find a great deal or my whole family loves them).
  • I'm 23 and loud and proud about my love for YA lit :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Hey, I'm 45 and loved the Hunger Games, read all the Twilight books (though I still have mixed feelings about some of the messages there) and have enjoyed a number of other books that fall into the YA category.
    If they are well written and tell a good story, no reason not to read them.

The one I've really enjoyed most recently is "The Host" by Stephanie Myers - I thought this was much better than all the Twilight books.
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Don't feel bad! I have a close friend who is focusing her MA in literature on YA lit.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Anyone else here like me? Should I stop reading them?

I read lots of things, and IMO there is zero shame in enjoying YA fiction :). I have no intention of ever growing out of it. They're such a simple pleasure.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    So yea, Im 22 and I love my YA books! Dystopian novels are my favorite, well Im no longer 17 which the target audience mostly are. Anyone else here like me? Should I stop reading them? Not sure if I will ever grow out of them lol

I love YA books and probably always will. If you like dystopian novels, have you tried The Uglies series?
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    I am 35 and LOVE YA books!! HP, Twilight, ERAGON!!! Many others too, but those are my FAVES!!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    I love scott westerfield's steampunk books.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    oh you sweet summer child ;)

There's nothing wrong with reading YA at any age! YA lit isn't any more lowbrow, immature, shallow or poorly written than so called adult fiction. Some of my all-time favorite fiction is YA and I'm 28.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member

ME TOO. Just recently finished Leviathan and looking forward to reading the second one.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member

ME TOO. Just recently finished Leviathan and looking forward to reading the second one.

BARKING SPIDERS!!!