Tips on ovoiding binges?

Options
2»

Replies

• tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    These are fantastic tips! One I wanted to add is that if you find yourself craving something particular, allow yourself to have a small portion of it. Sometimes my binges are when I try to "eat around" what I really want. If I want a chocolate chip cookie (or 2 or 3), I might try popcorn, then chocolate milk, then something else, but nothing is really satisfying because I really want the cookie, so eventually I've eaten the cookie and all that other stuff. If you allow yourself to have a reasonable amount of what you really want, you avoid "eating around" it and feel more satisfied.
  • thedove34
    thedove34 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    absolutely totalllyyy agree with you on this tip...
    I have been "practicing" this concept of eatting what you really crave.. instead of avoiding it.. and it really works..
    i dont dance around the item by eating other items.. i just go right to the source and eat that craving in a controlled way.. and
    then move on.. totally works.. Great point Tlbood.!!
  • SonjaChapman
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've found that allowing myself one cheat day on the weekends helps me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    I eat what I LIKE to eat daily. As long as I meet my macro/micro nutrients and stay within calorie limits, binges don't happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I prefer to keep my binges rectangular.
  • JazzyFizz23
    Options
    These are fantastic tips! One I wanted to add is that if you find yourself craving something particular, allow yourself to have a small portion of it. Sometimes my binges are when I try to "eat around" what I really want. If I want a chocolate chip cookie (or 2 or 3), I might try popcorn, then chocolate milk, then something else, but nothing is really satisfying because I really want the cookie, so eventually I've eaten the cookie and all that other stuff. If you allow yourself to have a reasonable amount of what you really want, you avoid "eating around" it and feel more satisfied.

I may have to try this more often. When it comes to soda and chocolate. However, I have to learn to control the amount I do eat when I give in to cravings.

One thing I did find is switching to Dark Chocolate helped me eat less chocolate. It is a little less sweet, but still very rich, so I am more 'full' from it faster. And it has more antioxidants anyway - so a little bit is good. I just have to remember to eat only a little.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth after every meal. The minty taste makes food taste bad & also who wants to ruin their newly cleaned teeth & fresh breath with a food?
  • Bluemoon4480
    Options
    If binging is a problem its best to try to find a substitute for what you are binging on and do it in small doses often. For me eating brownie ice-cream is my binge worthy stuff so I tend to eat a handful of m&ms about every couple of days. I haven't had a "binge" in over 5 months.
  • happyceliza
    happyceliza Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Really good tips. I needed this thread too.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Check out "Eating Less" by Gillian Riley.
    I recommend this book really regularly because I think she has some great ideas and strategies for changing the eating behaviours that got us fat in the first place. She takes the focus away from "losing weight" and onto changing habits for the long term.
  • ajhr
    ajhr Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Drink some water, brush your teeth, then go for a walk.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Identify when or what triggers your binges. Satisfy cravings before they get out of control.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/cravings-282817
  • Browneyedgirl140
    Browneyedgirl140 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    These are all great tips! I wish I would have read them before last Sunday. That was my first binge day since joining MFP in 3 weeks. I ate way to much because I was bored and exhausted from traveling. Then I made myself log it in the dairy and felt even worse knowing I had let myself down for the day. I will definitely try some of these tips the next time I want to have a sweet or want to eat because I am bored.
  • JazzyFizz23
    Options
    Check out "Eating Less" by Gillian Riley.
    I recommend this book really regularly because I think she has some great ideas and strategies for changing the eating behaviours that got us fat in the first place. She takes the focus away from "losing weight" and onto changing habits for the long term.

I checked it out. It looks like a good read, she also has a book called WillPower! that looks pretty interesting. Are you on GoodReads? It's a great site for book lovers.

Anyway, these other tips are helpful. Now I just have to channel them when the cravings come. My big problem is when I do it watching TV or a movie and I am completely unaware of doing it. I am thinking I just need to not allow myself food during my shows or movies.