FITBIT AND MYFITNESSPAL

Options
Hello, was reading about the Fitbit tool that can apparently be syncronised with myfitnesspal, it seems very interesting as a possible motivational tool . l was wondering if anyone has any experience withthe fitbit and if its worth purchasing.

Barry

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i love my fitbit. it is worth it for the sleep tracker alone.
  • SLHartman
    SLHartman Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit as well. I've found it helpful and motivating in a few ways. When I'm not able to get directly to MFP I can take a quick look at the fitbit for an estimate of calories burned, keeping track of steps taken and floors walked help as well. I'm always trying to be previous records. In addition, the fitbit will adjust exercise calories based on activities throughout the day. If it feels as though you've been extra active, it will tag on extra calories that you can consume.

Highly recommended!
  • jody2807
    jody2807 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hey Barry
    I just purchased fit bit today as I just read a thred about it and everyone seemed happy :)
  • maddiey
    maddiey Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! Basically what fitbit does is it links with MFP and then calculates your average calorie burn from your normal lifestyle, like sedatary, lightly active, etc. when fitbit counts that you go over your daily normal burn, it then sends a calorie burn to MFP. So days you don't 'do extra' it won't count on MFP. It's very useful if you use it when you move, but if you do do a lot of exercises like weight lifting, it will count the steps from going between machines or sets of weights, but it can't count the calories you burn from lifting.

I hope that helps. I think it's great, great battery life, easy to use website, links with MFP, it's really small too! (which could also make it easy to lose lol).

I got mine new off ebay for 75 rather than 100.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    warning - FItBIt is addictive
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I have ad my fitbit for about two weeks now. I will reiterate the above post that for tracking sleep alone, it is worth it. Quality is a big factor in losing weight and this has been very helpful in monitoring how I'm doing. I am also more motivated to be active throughout the day and not just during my more intense planned exercise times. The fitbit website has some useful graphs and reports as well to show how you are doing.
  • jody2807
    jody2807 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Barry i just bumped the thread for you so it would be in commmunity
  • maddiey
    maddiey Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! Basically what fitbit does is it links with MFP and then calculates your average calorie burn from your normal lifestyle, like sedatary, lightly active, etc. when fitbit counts that you go over your daily normal burn, it then sends a calorie burn to MFP. So days you don't 'do extra' it won't count on MFP. It's very useful if you use it when you move, but if you do do a lot of exercises like weight lifting, it will count the steps from going between machines or sets of weights, but it can't count the calories you burn from lifting.

I hope that helps. I think it's great, great battery life, easy to use website, links with MFP, it's really small too! (which could also make it easy to lose lol).

I got mine new off ebay for 75 rather than 100.

I hope that wasn't too confusing lol you can message me if you want or have any questions about it. :)
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it. I let it log all the on foot exercise, and just add the rest manualy (pilates, swimming....) Just don't put them through the wash.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I love fitbit, I got mine back in April. I wear it everyday, clipped to my bra and then sleep with it on my wrist at night. I like that it tracks not only steps but elevation too. Every 10 feet up or down is counted as a floor. I love the fact that it just adds the calories burned straight to MFP for me. Plus it only needs charged like once a week, and it only takes like 5 minutes. I really enjoy looking at the charts, especially after exercise. My husband gets a kick out of seeing what it says we burn after sex lol. *rolls eyes* It's well worth the money!
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options

TOTALLY AGREE!!! Absolutely love it.. feel naked without it!
  • elri1908
    elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit! Very motivational tool. Sleep tracker is very insightful!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I love fitbit, I got mine back in April. I wear it everyday, clipped to my bra and then sleep with it on my wrist at night. I like that it tracks not only steps but elevation too. Every 10 feet up or down is counted as a floor. I love the fact that it just adds the calories burned straight to MFP for me. Plus it only needs charged like once a week, and it only takes like 5 minutes. I really enjoy looking at the charts, especially after exercise. My husband gets a kick out of seeing what it says we burn after sex lol. *rolls eyes* It's well worth the money!

Lol! Sounds like a good investment. I think I may have to buy it next week...
  • mariezimmerle
    Options

TOTALLY AGREE!!! Absolutely love it.. feel naked without it!
  • rocsings
    rocsings Posts: 13
    Options
    LOVE .. LOVE .. LOVE MY FITBIT ... biggest difference having a fitbit it is customized to you. When you work out the calories are strictly from your personal workout and the movements you do. MFP takes an average based on more generic information. Get the fitbit and you will wonder what took you so long ...
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options
    I love my FitBit. I took it out on a hike on 4th fo July and logged 33,000 steps and 251 flights of stairs. It was incredibly motivational just getting up the mountain. I am about 900 steps under 10,000 right now, so I am going to walk the dogs rather than sending my husband out (its his turn tonight but I have steps to get!) Its motivational on an hourly basis too - I realize I only have 1 leaf after sitting at my desk at work, so I will take a stroll around the building (500 steps and a flight of stairs). I will not take an escalator because it erroneously counts it as stairs and I won't cheat my FitBit.
  • isaacsmom99
    isaacsmom99 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love my Fit Bit too! I got it for Mother's Day this year. It's amazing everything this little thing can do!! AND, a couple of days ago I forgot to remove it from my pants and it went through the washer and dryer and it survived! I put it on the docking station, and there was nothing wrong with it! Amazing!!! And I sync it to MFP, which is really cool!!
  • waldenlev
    waldenlev Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    ... and I won't cheat my FitBit.

LOL
  • greentrainman
    Options
    Thanks guys for your replys, seem you all love your Fitbits will seriously take a look now.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Bump