Burned 800 calories with Jumping Jacks?

Options
I weigh 215lbs and apparently someone my size burns 4 calories a jumping jack. So I did 200 jumping jacks meaning I burned 800 calories? Sounds too good to be true. Can anyone verify?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    I weigh 215lbs and apparently someone my size burns 4 calories a jumping jack. So I did 200 jumping jacks meaning I burned 800 calories? Sounds too good to be true. Can anyone verify?
    Well if you did a jumping jack every 2 seconds that would be 400 seconds. Divided by 60 that's 6.6 minutes. I DOUBT that you burned that much in 6.6 minutes.

Heck if you did TABATA PROTOCOL (a very high intensity program of 4 minutes) you might burn 150 calories total. And that's GASPING for air after about 1 minute into it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • katie_30
    katie_30 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    That's outrageous! I would have to run about 2 hours straight to burn that many calories!!! (I guess I gotta start doing some jumping jacks.) But seriously, a single jumping jack is a very simple movement. It doesn't seem worthy of 4 calories...I think the trainer guy is right.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I will admit, jumping jacks and jump rope (something that I could do forever as a kid) bring on a burn that is crazy good. I like to do a combo set of jumping jacks, burpees, frog jumps, push UPS, crunches and jump rope in about a 15-20 minutes and that gets my heart rate going! I doubt even that is 800 though
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Sounds too good to be true.
    Then it probably is. How I wish we can burn that much in a span of minutes but unfortunately not. Heck even a 30 minute workout on elliptical couldn't do that either.