gaining weight on insulan

:smile: HI all I was not happy with my weight since starting insulan to control my diabetes i have put on 3 kg very unhappy with this. so i went to see my doctor again and started back on diabex xr 500 1 per day the weight stoped climbing strat away it will of corse take a cople of weeks to settle down we will see how i go

a few seconds ago · Comment

Replies

• zefira1
    zefira1 Posts: 8 Member
    I should hav said 1 kg per week gain on 1800 calorie and exersise
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I see you often eat over 200g per day of carbs. As you are a diabetic (Type 2, presumably) I really don't understand why you would do that.

http://www.drbriffa.com/2012/03/05/whats-wrong-with-the-dietary-advice-diabetes-uk-dishes-out-to-diabetics/
  • zefira1
    zefira1 Posts: 8 Member
    I was type 2 but only in the last 3-4 weeks i started insulan and am now type 1
    i was not looking after my self i was eating 300-4oo carbs befor i was depressed i sleped all day but i do do night shift and should have been up by 11 o clock i was staying in bed all day and maintained my weight.
    , now my sugar is 5.5 average over the last 3-4 weeks i am out of bed at 830 am i am walking and i have a very fisical job i parcil sorter in a mail centre i walk up to 10 km at work every night.
    to explain
    i am on 1830 calories a day and staying under that i would burn at least at a min 600 per day
    but i was still putting on weight untill 3 days ago
    a slight stuff up betwen doctors when i started insulan i was told to stop all meds this was the three 850 mg of metforman
    i was takeing
    now i started takeing diabex 500 once per day the weight stoped going up strat away and is comming downand so is my insulan level
    i have reduced from lantus 30 twice a day to 20 twice a day .
    nova rapid is still the same at the moment but as this tablet starts to work it should reduce moore

the reason i was told was the insulan was now working in my body and turning food into glucose and the excess into fat

so its when you know the whol story you can put it all to geather my carbs will reduce even more as i get better

doctors are so pleased with my results i will be back to about 80 kg sugar controled and fit by christmas.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Just fyi you can't go from being a type 2 diabetic to a type 1... they are two different things. Type 1 is genetic and never goes away. Type 2 can be fixed by eating right.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Just fyi you can't go from being a type 2 diabetic to a type 1... they are two different things. Type 1 is genetic and never goes away. Type 2 can be fixed by eating right.
    Perhaps OP was originally misdiagnosed as type 2, and the error was discovered recently.
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member

Just fyi Type 2 can not be fixed by eating right. It can be controlled without medication in some people, not all. It does not go away, even if you eat right. The minute you eat wrong it is back. Some people with type 2 have always had a healthy BMI and have eaten right.

Type 1 is a condition where your pancreas does not create insulin. People with type 2 can develop type 1.

Both type 1 and type 2 can be genetic.