What does your strength training routine look like?

Options
So I've got three hours a week at work that ican devote to strength training. I usually do that in a class setting at the gym but now that I have this other time, I would like to do it on my own. I consider myself fairly fit but there is definitely room for improvement. I'm looking for advice on how to approach this. My ultimate goal is muscle definition (I get enough cardio). If anyone more experienced in this area is willing to share their routine, I'd sincerely appreciate it!

Replies

• RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    I just started reading the New Rules For Lifting For Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess. It has a routine and LOTS of information. If you can split your 3 hours a week into 3 days (each workout is 20-30 mins) then you could follow their program. There is a group here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

It's pretty much a 6 month workout broken into Stages. I am on Stage #1 and I do Workout #1 A & B (on alternating days). Yesterday I did Workout A: Squats, Rows, Push-ups, Step-ups, & Jackknife Crunches. Today I did Workout B: Deadlifts, Dumbbell Press, Wide Lat Pull-down, Lunge, & Swiss Ball Crunch. There is supposed to be a rest day inbetween the workouts but I wanted to work out w/myhusband so I chose to do tomorrow's routine today and just rest tomorrow.

Each week you change reps, and change weights. The lower the reps the higher the weights.

Hope this helps!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    for you: Starting Strength. Perfect for 3x a week. Buy the book amazon and go!
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    for you: Starting Strength. Perfect for 3x a week. Buy the book amazon and go!

/Thread
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I would also recommend New Rules Of Lifting for Women. It's done absolute wonders for me and you only have to do the program 3 times a week (I do it twice a week!)
  • mrsmerrithew
    mrsmerrithew Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just started reading the New Rules For Lifting For Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess. It has a routine and LOTS of information. If you can split your 3 hours a week into 3 days (each workout is 20-30 mins) then you could follow their program. There is a group here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

It's pretty much a 6 month workout broken into Stages. I am on Stage #1 and I do Workout #1 A & B (on alternating days). Yesterday I did Workout A: Squats, Rows, Push-ups, Step-ups, & Jackknife Crunches. Today I did Workout B: Deadlifts, Dumbbell Press, Wide Lat Pull-down, Lunge, & Swiss Ball Crunch. There is supposed to be a rest day inbetween the workouts but I wanted to work out w/myhusband so I chose to do tomorrow's routine today and just rest tomorrow.

Each week you change reps, and change weights. The lower the reps the higher the weights.

Hope this helps!

I am also doing this! Currently on stage 3, and the workouts are a bit longer than 20-30 minutes now. I love it!
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I weight train every other day (technically 3-4X per week, pending on the day). I do a full body routine those days, and it lasts me anywhere from an hour to 75 minutes to complete.

Step Up (15 ea. side) / Squat (25) Superset - 4 sets
    Straight Bar Curl - 15lb - 4 sets of 15 reps
    Cable Squat with Row - 25lb - 4 sets of 15 reps
    Cable Side Arm Raises - 5lb - 4 sets of 15 reps
    Bosou Ball Balance Squat / Rope Pull Down - 20lb - 4 sets of 15 reps
    Cable Fly - 5lb - 4 sets of 15 reps
    Elevated Tricep Dips - 4 sets of 15 reps
    V-ups - 4 sets of 25 reps
    Bicycle Crunches - 4 sets of 25 reps

I do cardio on my off days, and typically do a 15 minute warmup on the elliptical on my strength days followed by anywhere from 5-30 minutes cardio (bike, stairmaster, running, etc.)

:)
  • kssnyd65
    kssnyd65 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    P90X!
    And some crossfit activities for unit pt every once in awhile.
  • AmyB69
    AmyB69 Posts: 117
    Options
    bump for later
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I like StrongLifts. It's only 5 lifts total, but they're compound and they work all the big muscle groups. The heavier the weight, the longer it takes (more rest between sets), but I can still complete a workout in about an hour, including 5 min run to warmup.
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who posted on this thread!! I'm going to check these out.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Here are the last two sessions I did

3 sets of each
    Smith Squat 35 lbs 12 reps
    Ball Crunch 25 reps
    Wall Push Up 25 reps
    Bench Press 20 lbs 12 reps
    Chest Fly 20 lbs 12 reps
    Crossover W/Band 12 reps
    Seated Leg Press 130 lbs 15 reps

60 minute circuit- 3 sets each

Bridge 20 reps-25 reps-30 reps
    Back Band Fly 10 - 12 - 15
    Air Bike 10 reps (only 1 set)
    Alternate Heel Touches 30 reps - 35 reps (only 2 sets)
    Smith Squat - 35 lbs 10 reps - 35 lbs 12 reps - 40 lbs 15 reps
    Ball Sit Up 30 reps - 35 reps - 40 reps (did extra 20 reps at the end)
    Wall Push Up - 30 reps - 35 reps - 35 reps
    Goblet Squat - 8 lbs 15 reps (every set)
    Cable Seated Row - 40 lbs - 12 reps and 2 sets of 15 reps
    Mountain Climbers 20 reps - 25 reps - 25 reps
    Seated Leg Press - 160 lbs 20 reps - 165 lbs 20 reps - 170 lbs 20 reps
    Dumbell Side Bend - 12.5 lbs every set - 30 reps - 40 reps - 50 reps
    Reverse Fly with Resistane Band - 20 reps - 30 reps - 40 reps