Opinions on childhood obesity...

Options

Replies

• shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    did someone just call someone else "bucko"? did i just stumble into a Happy Days episode? :D

Hahaha it's a great show :) Good to bring back the olden days language every now and then :smile:
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Don't want to hijack the thread but had to respond to the comment about teachers being lazy. The amount of homework is based on several things. I teach 5th grade and I am required to give a certain amount of homework each night. I don't even get to decided what the homework will be. It comes from the curriculum I am required to teach. Also, the expectations and standards are very different from what they were 20 even 10 years ago. I and other teachers can't teach everything in the amount of time students are in school (reading, writing, math, science, social studies, character traits, manners, hygiene, common sense, discipline), so some of the practice part gets sent home. But, once again that's not my decision. Also, since many people insist that teacher's pay be connected to test scores then of course student assignments, homework, etc will increase. Done
    I'm going on 67. Childhood obesity today is totally appalling. However, it's easy to blame the parents. Here's what is different from When I was growing up: There are no gym periods in schools these days, not to mention gym teachers. When I went to grammar school, we had two recess periods and lunch. We were expected to play outside. I played tether ball whenever I could - there was always a line of girls waiting to play. We jumped double dutch. There were hula hoops and yoyos and paddle balls. When I got home I did NOT do two hours of homework. How crazy is it to demand two hours of young kids who really need to play. They've just spent six hours in school. Is the teacher that lazy that she/he can't get the lessons across? When I got home, I'd change and go out to join the neighborhood kids in a game of stick ball. The sewers were our bases. We ran a lot. We biked, we built forts on empty lots. I climbed trees. What I see these days is that kids play too many video games, they don't get enough exercise at school, or else they're overscheduled with swim meets, and other structured activities. We've taken the fun out of play. I can relate to fat kids too. My brother was fat all the way through grammar school, although not obese. He was teased mercilessly, since fat kids were not the norm in those days. When he got to junior high he started weight training like mad and slimmed down considerably. He's still slim at 65. My parents were on the stout side, but they were also old. I had the oldest mother in my grammar school. She was in her early fifties. Finally, growing up we were never bombarded with food ads on TV morning, noon and night. Candy and ice cream were a once a week treat. We didn't toss bottles and cans onto the street because they were worth 5 cents each. I'd return a bottle and buy a piece gum. Don't discount all those food ads. I've found myself wanting to drive to Wendy's when I see a late night ad. We also have access to food 24/7 in every store I can think of, including nearly all gas stations. And here's the really scary thing for parents of pre-teens. We are also bombarded by drug company ads 24/7 on TV. Then we wonder why our children abuse prescription drugs. We seem to operate on the slogan "there's an app (drug) for that". I was bombarded with cigarette ads on TV growing up and it did have an effect. In high school it was cool to smoke. I quit in my thirties only after I'd seen three people die within three to six months after getting lung cancer. All were smokers.
  • amersmanders
    amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
    Options

If you're such an ambassador for healthy living, how did you get overweight?

MyFitnessPal Site-wide Community Guidelines

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

_____

Let's not forget that we're in this to support each other's healthier life choices.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that you started long before me there bucko. I dont have 100+ pounds to lose, I was never that fat. I have another ten and I am done. And I know perfectly well why it is dragging its *kitten* to get there, because I am slacking off.

Another wild guess: sound like Hitler would be more of a fun father then you. Sure your kids arent fat, but *kitten* son, ever think that maybe they wanted to get home and have a relax for once? Not get forced out to exercise?
    No!
    You just clearly characterized the failure mentality of parents who can't take responsibility.
    To some, parenting is about being popular.
    Go ahead; such kids raised by such parents will be shining our shoes.:drinker:

You've lost a significant amount of weight, that is awesome.

Now are you saying that I am going to be a soft parent with fat kids? Yeah pretty sure I'm not, because I do have a backbone and I dont want fat kids. Simple.

You can get off your high horse now. You are wonder dad. Well done. Your certificate and medal are in the mail.
    All our kids [my family, your family] are the fruit of our parenting.
    And it's tough; you know....:flowerforyou:
    "certificate and medal are in the mail."----you made me smile - haha - seriously, if anybody is in these trenches, do the best you can.
    All we can do is all we can do, and it just kills me inside when I see fat kids.
    Good luck to you.
  • shellebelle87
    Options
    [\quote]

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    [/quote]

It was an honest question. I wasnt attacking him. Genuinely wanted to know how it happened.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options
    [\quote]

It was an honest question. I wasnt attacking him. Genuinely wanted to know how it happened.[\quote]
    :smokin: Fair enough, and I answered. If I can't live it, I should not preach it.
    I live it, and so too do you. :drinker:
  • Mymag
    Mymag Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My son is the top seeded tennis player at his High School.
    He thanked me for that.
    My ten year old was invited to be on the All Star baseball team; he thanked me.
    My 14 year old is a top wrestler with a shelf full of 1st place and second place trophies.
    Need I go on?
    All 5 of my kids excel in school and exist at the top of the social food chain.
    Keep making excuses, and we'll keep winning.
    That's the difference.:drinker:

So that's what you care about? Your kids' athletic abilities and social status? Like I said, my parents and I are happy and have an awesome relationship, which I consider to be a lot more important.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    i think people are blurring the topic here...
    theres a world of difference between a chubby child and an obese child.
    the difference between a cold and polio.
    when it hits the point of obese you should be looking for professional help,
    and if you don't you're neglecting your job.
  • shellebelle87
    Options
    [\quote]

It was an honest question. I wasnt attacking him. Genuinely wanted to know how it happened.[\quote]
    :smokin: Fair enough, and I answered. If I can't live it, I should not preach it.
    I live it, and so too do you. :drinker:

Neither of us wants fat kids, we want them to be healthy, fit strong and successful. Just took a bit of niggling before we sorted it :flowerforyou:
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    If you treat your child like a victim of circumstance, they will become that victim. Is that what you want? Don't teach your kid to accept their crappy life (it's OKAY to be fat...), teach them to take control and CHANGE IT.

There have been so many posts about making sure you are delicate with children about their weight and make sure their little feelings aren't hurt... no wonder kids feel trapped in their fat little bodies! They have adults telling them on the one hand what they should eat and how to exercise, and on the other hand telling them that they're perfect just the way they are (50 pounds overweight).

TALK to your kid about their health and weight! Ask them if they know any fat kids and how they are treated at school. Make sure they understand that while their worth isn't totally dependent on their appearance, they should always strive to be the best they can possibly be in every way. Give them the tools to succeed so they can be proud of themselves instead of drowning in their own unhappiness. Don't let them be victims. Make them own their mistakes, and own up to yours.

God no wonder kids are depressed little ****s nowadays. Parents are coddling them to death and denying them the feeling of TRUE ACCOMPLISHMENT. Obviously don't be mean to your kids but stop worrying about their delicate psyches!
  • Mymag
    Options
    If you treat your child like a victim of circumstance, they will become that victim. Is that what you want? Don't teach your kid to accept their crappy life (it's OKAY to be fat...), teach them to take control and CHANGE IT.

There have been so many posts about making sure you are delicate with children about their weight and make sure their little feelings aren't hurt... no wonder kids feel trapped in their fat little bodies! They have adults telling them on the one hand what they should eat and how to exercise, and on the other hand telling them that they're perfect just the way they are (50 pounds overweight).

TALK to your kid about their health and weight! Ask them if they know any fat kids and how they are treated at school. Make sure they understand that while their worth isn't totally dependent on their appearance, they should always strive to be the best they can possibly be in every way. Give them the tools to succeed so they can be proud of themselves instead of drowning in their own unhappiness. Don't let them be victims. Make them own their mistakes, and own up to yours.

God no wonder kids are depressed little ****s nowadays. Parents are coddling them to death and denying them the feeling of TRUE ACCOMPLISHMENT. Obviously don't be mean to your kids but stop worrying about their delicate psyches!

My mom and doctor talked to me about my weight once, and all it did was make me feel bad. Even when a doctor just asked me about my acne, it made me feel horrible. And while it did make me WISH I was skinnier and prettier and everything, I had no motivation to do anything about it. It wasn't until after I started feeling really good about myself that I actually started making a real effort to lose weight. Feeling bad and hating my body wasn't ever enough, but now that I actually like myself, I'm doing it for me. And don't get me wrong, I don't think you should encourage unhealthy habits. I just don't think convincing your kid they're not good enough is the way to go.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options

My mom and doctor talked to me about my weight once, and all it did was make me feel bad. Even when a doctor just asked me about my acne, it made me feel horrible. And while it did make me WISH I was skinnier and prettier and everything, I had no motivation to do anything about it. It wasn't until after I started feeling really good about myself that I actually started making a real effort to lose weight. Feeling bad and hating my body wasn't ever enough, but now that I actually like myself, I'm doing it for me. And don't get me wrong, I don't think you should encourage unhealthy habits. I just don't think convincing your kid they're not good enough is the way to go.

ETA "Not good enough"? Doing good for yourself comes from love and self respect. Those thing come from a positive attitude and accomplishment.

No offense meant, and its great how well you're doing, but my kids will never have that attitude because they wont be raised that way. If something is not right, we don't lie down and cry about it we FIX it. We aren't victims. We do not have a self pitying attitude. My kids will have the tools to succeed in life because I will teach then responsibility and self discipline and how to be happy not coddling and entitlement.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options

A bunch of psycho-babble....another symptom of just why our culture is off track.
    And we wonder....:noway:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options
    My son is the top seeded tennis player at his High School.
    He thanked me for that.
    My ten year old was invited to be on the All Star baseball team; he thanked me.
    My 14 year old is a top wrestler with a shelf full of 1st place and second place trophies.
    Need I go on?
    All 5 of my kids excel in school and exist at the top of the social food chain.
    Keep making excuses, and we'll keep winning.
    That's the difference.:drinker:

So that's what you care about? Your kids' athletic abilities and social status? Like I said, my parents and I are happy and have an awesome relationship, which I consider to be a lot more important.
    Birds of a feather flock together......
    ..........while eagles soar....:drinker:
  • Mymag
    Options

No offense meant, and its great how well you're doing, but my kids will never have that attitude because they wont be raised that way. If something is not right, we don't lie down and cry about it we FIX it. We aren't victims. We do not have a self pitying attitude. My kids will have the tools to succeed in life because I will teach then responsibility and self discipline and how to be happy not coddling and entitlement.

Whoa, don't insult my parents because I'm abnormally sensitive. My parents did not "coddle" me. My mom was in the army, she knows all about discipline and responsibility. My parents didn't raise us with a sense of "entitlement." I bought my laptop with my own money, and the only reason my dad agreed to even consider getting us a PS3 for Christmas is because we all agreed to give up the rest of our presents. But I was teased for my weight and acne in middle school. I can't imagine many teenage girls whose self-esteem wouldn't suffer from that. I didn't have a "self pitying attitude," it's called depression, and it's genetic, and it can't be trained out of someone. My mom did try to talk to me about my weight multiple times, but it upset me because I'm a sensitive person. And if your kids are tough enough to handle being called fat, that's great. But you can't be sure they will be.
  • stephenglover
    stephenglover Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I sleep well at night with it.
    And she has no problem with her self confidence has more guts than most grown ups I know.
    I also think she comes down in weight and levels out on her own as she grows in her mind and
    physical attributes.

We have to many rules for kids as it is they should be able to enjoy some things while they can
    and stop having to take from them. Don't get me wrong i beleive in discpline. I was never denied
    any food I wanted and never got overweight until I quit working out in the field and behind a desk.
    some of us just have a different shape and size. Her weight is a lot of muscle she can probably squat
    your weight.

I just dont see it as a parents fault sometimes I am sure but not as much as I see stated here.
  • stephenglover
    Options
    OK,
    So am I bad parent? my youngest daughter 5'4" 14 yrs old weighs 165#.
    Tell me I am and I will show you I am not with a girl who can run laps,
    do 2 hours of pure Cardio workouts with the best of people, she is 14
    give me a break she will lose the weight. Most of the girls I remember from
    school that were thin are now large and the ones built like my daughter caught
    up to there bodies.

She is a second degree blackbelt and trains 3 times a week, 2 hours a day
    and sevral tournamnets a year.
    Doctors have not said a word about it and she goes for annual check ups
    etc.

When you know better, you do better.

Chances are your daughter isn't happy with her weight. Have you talked to her about it? Does she know how to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable way? She may feel helpless to do anything about it. Weight problems do not just go away on their own.

I spend quality time with my daughter so yes I ask her, make sure she feels confident and she does and shoes in her many acheivements in school and out of as well.
    I will say neither of us new about weight loss in a healthy way until the last year and I dont push it on her but we are both working to lose some. I just don't agree with it being a bad parent.
  • stephenglover
    Options

The PARENTS control what the kid does, and what comes into the house, and what kind of eating habits these kids will have. If they are obese, the parents should take the full blame and, to a radical extent, I think they should be charged with child abuse.

To some extent. You can't FORCE a kid to eat things. I tried to push the issue with my fifteen year old when he was five. I was going to MAKE him eat that broccoli. He ate it all right... and made himself throw up on the table. My two year old will throw things that he doesn't like on the floor and will go hungry before eating something "ucky." (This is why I keep other things around that are healthy that he will eat.)

Sure, I can keep things out, but I can't force good eating. I'm going to guess that you don't have children. Once you have your own, you realize that everything is not as black and white as you seem to think.
    Wrong.
    As I already mentioned, success is a choice - no excuses.
    First, none of my kids are fat but very fit - head and shoulders above 90% of their peers.
    We have 5 kids.
    I make them train and eat what I prepare, and we allow no junk food, soda or TV.
    They indeed carp, and my response is always the same.
    Eat what I make, or eat NOTHING, and in extreme cases taste belt leather.
    End of story.
    I refuse to raise what I see too much of in American society: fat, underachieving kids who will grow up to be fat, unhappy adults.
    They can hate me now to love me later or whatever. It's not a popularity contest.
    As a parent, I have a job to do.

what I have been thinking about all the comments, haha!
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Fast food Happy meals and kids meals are a big problem. My daughter loves them, and they are convenient. But we limit them, and she doesn't sit around and watch TV and play video games. She will be turing 4 in a couple of weeks, and the fast food meals are going away. I take her to the pool a few times a week. We play in the yard. She works out with me, doing P90X and Insanity. She loves it. I will be damned if she is going to be overweight from anything other than physiological causes. Keep the kids active, shut off the TV and video games, and make them eat fruits and veggies.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options
    Fast food Happy meals and kids meals are a big problem. My daughter loves them, and they are convenient. But we limit them, and she doesn't sit around and watch TV and play video games. She will be turing 4 in a couple of weeks, and the fast food meals are going away. I take her to the pool a few times a week. We play in the yard. She works out with me, doing P90X and Insanity. She loves it. I will be damned if she is going to be overweight from anything other than physiological causes. Keep the kids active, shut off the TV and video games, and make them eat fruits and veggies.
    BING!
    Another solid parent who is taking ownership of his responsibilities instead of sniveling about the food industry or making weak excuses.
    Keep Punching!