How do you react when someone notices you have lost weight?

Options

Replies

• traceyjay1
    traceyjay1 Posts: 18
    Options
    How do you react when someone notices you have lost weight? usually i make bow chicka wow wow noises then gyrate in a circle around them and yeah it seems alittle awkward for them but hey thats just how i roll

Oh this is brilliant - I rarely actually laugh out loud at the computer but today you got me :-) haha
  • Loozin
    Loozin Posts: 91
    Options
    depending on how it's said ( and assessment of any underlying sarcasm), I smile and accept the compliment graciously...after all, it's hard work that got me here.

I need to do what Dee does more...accept the compliment....the HARD work deserves it !

My involuntary responses usually are:

"Oh a bit, still got a loooong way to go"
    &
    "Not that much, I always lose it on my face first"
    &
    "Nah not really, its an illusion, I'm wearing black"
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have a quite few occasional friends. I tend to not get the "have you lost weight?" I get more of a "OMG! wheres the rest of you?" then they stare with their mouth open. Very awkward :D I wait a moment then to ask them politely to close their mouth.

I got this just this Sunday. They then ask how I did it.
    I've got bored of telling people its diet and exercise so I tell them this...

"I went on one of those adventure camping hiking holidays to the amazon. One day I wondered off on my own and found a aztech temple with lovely blue pool. It was hot so I paddled around in it for while.
    When I got back to the camp, everyone stared and then I noticed my body was that of a 20 year old (im 45).
    I tried to find it again but couldn't! I really wish I had got my hair wet"

:D
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I tell them "Thanks, it's even more impressive naked, you know what I'm saying?" Then I kinda stare at them. Really awkward at work, especially since it's mainly guys who have noticed so far...

--P

haha - I could be the judge of that if you like! haha. x
  • LorryGuthrie
    LorryGuthrie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    How do you react when someone notices you have lost weight? usually i make bow chicka wow wow noises then gyrate in a circle around them and yeah it seems alittle awkward for them but hey thats just how i roll

Love it! My NEW response will be this! :D

When people comment on how small I've become I usually say thanks, but then follow it with telling them it is a work in progress!

woah well done on the 141lb loss! You must get lots of comments as you look amazing!

Awwww...thank you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I react with a big cheesy smile and then show them my six pack, thus inducing more compliments lol.

I can't deny that I love it. I've always been the chubby girl. Not anymore!
  • minibusx
    minibusx Posts: 50
    Options
    I get all embarrasesd almost as in ashamed that I got that big in the first place
    I also sometimes get MAD I dunno y lol e.g my aunt commented on a pic on facebook saying "wow caroline u luk lovely uve lost so much weight"
    That made me angry silly I no but i though awhhhtell everyone I use to be even bigger lol x
    Silly I no but hey its just me x:flowerforyou:
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this next time!
    I'm typically the "make and excuse like I'm guilty" person, too. Why do we do that??
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I tell them "Thanks, it's even more impressive naked, you know what I'm saying?" Then I kinda stare at them. Really awkward at work, especially since it's mainly guys who have noticed so far...

--P

no wait! I'm gonna do this one!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I used to do things like grab my ample hip thigh area and say "oh really, if I'm so skinny, what the hell is this?" but then I realized that was a real asshat thing to do. Sometimes if people are really gushing (OMG, you are SO skinny now! or You're disappearing!) I'll still get uncomfortable and dismiss the compliment but a simple "you are looking great" deserves a simple smile and "thank you!".
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I say THANK YOU.

What the hell else do you say when someone gives you a compliment??
  • FinsUpBindy
    FinsUpBindy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just had this happen like 10 minutes ago. A co-worker said that I was getting so skinny and all I could do was laugh/scoff and say "I'm trying", and then I walked away. I admit i am the worst at taking compliments!!
  • CDMAGS
    CDMAGS Posts: 150 Member
    Options

LOL This is awesome!
  • CDMAGS
    CDMAGS Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I always tell them Yeah I have thanks! I'm tried of feeling like S**T!
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    i used to get all awkward also but now i say "aww. thanks! still have a long way to go, but i've been working hard."

i'm proud of what i've accomplished and i'm finally at a point where i can say that out loud and not feel weird about it. :smile:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I need to learn to just say "aw thanks yeah I have" :D

^^^^ IMHO, yes you do.

I've been getting that occasionally from people who don't see me every day, and they're being nice. I think it's only polite to be nice in return, because they obviously care about me enough to notice. These are the kinds of friendships I want to nurture and develop.

Several have asked me how I did it (casting a net for tips and tricks), and two of them are now on MFP and have started their own weight loss regimens using the tools here. So the opportunity arose not only to be gracious about a compliment, but to help some friendly and kind people on their own path to wellness and to further a pleasant relationship with a co-worker.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

--P

no wait! I'm gonna do this one!

why not do both! first ^^^

followed by

I just say thank you....but i may contemplate these when i get close to goal :drinker:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Improving my physical state is one of the few things I feel its ok to accept a compliment for, since i put in the effort and the blood sweat and tears. Its not like being complimented for my genetics. Its being praised for progress toward a goal. I usually react with a high five.
  • mathiasg
    mathiasg Posts: 32
    Options
    Likes some others have already said, I typically, say "yeah, I've been working on it. Thanks for noticing" and try to change the subject. It is definitely nice to have people notice, but it also always seems slightly awkward and a little embarrassing.
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm the worlds worst at compliments, I tend to just smile and say 'thanks I've lost 2 and a half stone', then swiftly change the subject :)