How to start running?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I didn't follow any kind of program, I just went out and started running. I ran until I couldn't run anymore. Did the same thing the next day and the next and the next, giving myself rest days every few days. I don't take walk breaks. My farthest distance so far is 16 miles. I am training for my first marathon. Did my first half this past August.
    I know it isn't the way the experts say to do it, but it works for me.
  • vixinyo
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I really want to start running and training to possibly run races. Everyone keeps talking about how addictive running can be, but I get so discouraged because I can't run for more than 3 minutes before I start panting and gasping for air. Clearly, I'm out of shape. I'm working on that though. Anyways, this question is for all you runners out there. How do you start running? What can I do to improve my endurance? I appreciate any advice anyone is willing to give! :)

Thanks guys! :)

I saw this post on here and found it very helpful. Hope it helps you too.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/394470-treadmill-vs-outside-running-and-pasted-12-week-program-to?hl=run+1+min#posts-5404920
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say, it is highly recommended that you have a rest day in between runs when you are a relatively novice runner.
  • jea155
    jea155 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is great, by I think the best thing to do is keep track of what you do. I love mfp bc of how easy it is to keep logs of all exercises. Endurance for running is all mental. You just have to gradually work into it and once you start going further you know your body can do it because you've done it before.
  • awadm
    awadm Posts: 252
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone....I found a lot of it to be very helpful! Hopefully I'll be running like a pro once I get into the swing of things :D
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for C25K!!!!

I started walking on the treadmill last March... a 21 minute mile back then. I slowly started doing walking/running intervals, and then I heard about C25K. It's a 9 week program, 3x per week, that slowly builds up your running. And if needed, you can repeat weeks. I did the program on the treadmill since it was easy to control when to walk and run. When the weather finally got cool enough for me to run outside, I thought... this will be easy. Wrong... running outside is way different than a treadmill. I mention this just so you will be prepared in case you walk/run on a treadmill. Regardless, I also did the C25K training program outside. I just finished Week 9, Run 3 yesterday. I'm signed up for my first 5K on Saturday.

As others have said.... take it slow, and don't worry about speed... you'll slowly get faster. I completed C25K, and I still run an average of 11 - 11:30 minute miles. But hey... I'll take it!

Oh... and as others have said.... a really good pair of running shoes is essential. If you have a running store near you, go there and try to get fitted to a pair that complements how you run. And stretch.... warm-up... and stretch again when you are done. It definitely helps with sore muscles and cramps.
  • mel128
    mel128 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump!