Vegetarian/Pescatarian Advice

Options
So I recently decided to become a Pescatarian (No meats, only fish) and I was wondering if anyone out there could give advice about a few topics.

First, does anyone take supplements or extra vitamins to replace what might be missing? I've heard that you just have to make sure you get protein in every meal. I am feeling pretty sluggish after about 2 weeks of trying to stay consistent.

Second, what proteins do you suggest eating for certain meals? I've been doing greek yogurt/granola for breakfast with boiled eggs as snacks but any meal recommendations or websites with this info for lunch and dinner ideas are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    www.happyherbivore.com

www.ohsheglows.com
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Veg here- there are lots of ways to add in protein. Beans, yogurt, peanut butter, protein shakes, make your own smoothies (I use yogurt, peanut butter, banana, etc in mine). I am not big into protein shakes as they tend to be high in sugar (I am diabetic) and can be high in cals- however I have found the Eat Good Look Great low cal protein shakes to be excellent at 110 cals but 23g of protein.

I also take a multi-vitamin daily.

The fact that you are going pesca though means protein should not be that much of an issue with you. I am curious why you find that it is.
  • AmyB_1992
    AmyB_1992 Posts: 32
    Options
    So I recently decided to become a Pescatarian (No meats, only fish) and I was wondering if anyone out there could give advice about a few topics.

First, does anyone take supplements or extra vitamins to replace what might be missing? I've heard that you just have to make sure you get protein in every meal. I am feeling pretty sluggish after about 2 weeks of trying to stay consistent.

Second, what proteins do you suggest eating for certain meals? I've been doing greek yogurt/granola for breakfast with boiled eggs as snacks but any meal recommendations or websites with this info for lunch and dinner ideas are greatly appreciated!

I've been a pescatarian for 4 years now and I've done alright, I just buy vege burgers and vege sausages and falafel, I think these taste so much better than meat. I don't really eat much fish but when I do I eat tuna fish, but only when I'm in the mood!

I only eat a vege burger once a week now (sundays, with my sunday roast in replacement of meat) since I started dieting properly so I don't eat much of that stuff but I eat plenty of salads with mozerella cheese or falafel with it, I've been alright so far and not needed to take any vitamin or iron tablets and I feel very much fine in my self.
  • krystle_swope
    Options
    Veg here- there are lots of ways to add in protein. Beans, yogurt, peanut butter, protein shakes, make your own smoothies (I use yogurt, peanut butter, banana, etc in mine). I am not big into protein shakes as they tend to be high in sugar (I am diabetic) and can be high in cals- however I have found the Eat Good Look Great low cal protein shakes to be excellent at 110 cals but 23g of protein.

I also take a multi-vitamin daily.

The fact that you are going pesca though means protein should not be that much of an issue with you. I am curious why you find that it is.

Exactly why I am asking these questions! lol I really just don't know. :) A friend of mine just said to make sure to get protein in every meal and she has been Pesca for about 2 years now.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian. I found it hard at the beginning to ensure I was getting enough protein and such. It was much easier before when I was eating meat even though I didn't eat a lot of it.

I try to get protein at each meal and hopefully at snacks when I can. For breakfast I normally have either a protein smoothie (frozen fruit, scoop of protein powder, water and yogurt) or some eggs. Snacks I have nuts, peanut butter on apple slices, or roasted chickpeas. Lunches (at work anyways) are usually either egg salad or hummus and veggies. Dinner changes all the time.

I found some great vegetarian meat options (I am in love with Veggie Patch products!). Experiement with those to find one you like. Beans, nuts, yogurts, cheese, legumes, etc are great sources of protein.
  • dragonprof
    Options
    Pescatarian for 9 years.
    Daily multi-vitamin.
    My sources of protein are generally beans, quinoa, tempeh or tofu, and more beans. I only eat fish two or three times a month.
    You might also join the pescatarian group here on MFP. See also a similar thread of discussion was up a while ago (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/189850-protein-for-a-vegetarian-pescetarian-please-help)
    Have fun! It is a great lifestyle :happy:
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    IMHO, if you have to take a supplement, you're doing it wrong. I've been an occasional pescatarian (as in I'm generally veggie, but occasionally eat fish) since I was 15, and I've never had to take any supplements.

Protein can be found in anything, but the fish and eggs are good sources. Beans, nuts, grains (such as quinoa, which is a whole protein and brilliant!) and dairy products are good sources. Also, you could sprinkle nutritional yeast over some of your food which will not only give it a nice, cheesy sort of flavour, but up your protein and B12 intake.

If you're feeling sluggish, it could be to do with not getting enough iron. Make sure you eat things like dark, leafy green veggies, dried beans (that you soak and cook yourself, though canned beans still have iron too), lentils, quinoa (again!), tofu, nuts and seeds to up your iron intake.

If you balance your macros well enough, you shouldn't need to take any supplements at all!.
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Fish and eggs are great for omegas and B12, so you shouldn't be lacking any vitamins really. Veggies are vitamin rich also. You might want to take a some iron before your time of month (if you have one, I cannot remember if you are male or female, as I type this, sorry heh). Lots of nuts and seeds. Pumpkin seeds are great. Flax is great. Um... Almond milk is delicious, if you are trying to get away from milk.

http://www.chooseveg.com/vegan-food-pyramid.asp

That site is kind of neat although I would recommend something like quinoa, flax bread, millet, amaranth, chia for your grains. Tons of servings of breads and pastas isn't really good for anyone (that is my personal opinion- not a debate starter)

I think ordering a few cheap vegan/veg cook books from ebay is a good way to start. You can always use your imagination, using Tempeh or Tofu for all the recipes you used to make that involve meat.

You can check out this next link I'm gonna post for easy recipes. It's a cute, fun little site. http://theveganstoner.com/

Good luck and congratulations =)