Ladies that are 5'8

Options
Those of you who are 5'8" What are your goals? I would like to lose 30-35lbs. Right now I am 169. I recently lost 14lbs but I still have a long journey ahead of me. I feel my best weight was around 135-140. I have a lot of muscle tone, but need to lose the fat. Is there anyone in the same category? My measurements are 36-32-39 size 11.Before I lost the fourteen lbs I was 38-37-42 size 12.

Replies

• Michellemtjpjt
    Options
    I am 5 8 and have about 70 more pounds to go. I want to reach like 180 or 190 becuase i have a big butt, and things plus i still want to be curvy :) But motivation here to help in your journey :)
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and I am happiest at 145. So I have 37 lbs to go. I took my measurements today and the results figure i have about a 37 - 39% body fat, so if I can get that down to even 25% I would be supper happy with whatever number the scale said. Please feel free to add me too. :)
  • GumbyAnne
    GumbyAnne Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and my goal is to be around 175 which is a weight I've been at before and was happy with. I think it depends a lot on body type. If I were an apple shaped person and those last few pounds were all belly I'd probably want to lose it, but I know that for me, at 175 all that's left is butt and thighs and I like having butt and thighs!
  • Michellemtjpjt
    Options
    I am 5'8" and my goal is to be around 175 which is a weight I've been at before and was happy with. I think it depends a lot on body type. If I were an apple shaped person and those last few pounds were all belly I'd probably want to lose it, but I know that for me, at 175 all that's left is butt and thighs and I like having butt and thighs!
    \

I agree i have a pear shape one of my photos show my shape just want to get back to that: Diva Minded

Girl work it butt and thighs are in :)
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    I think I am apple shape but my husband says I am hour glass. Not to sure...
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    After doing the research I am definitely apple. I gain most of my weight on the upper body, belly, arms.
  • roxy_dolly
    roxy_dolly Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 8 and currently at 168lbs, having lost 7 in the last month. I feel I looked my best when I stayed under 140lb, I fluctuated from 135-140 for years. But I was VERY slim at that weight, so my first goal is 150lbs and will re-evaluate when I hit it. I'm definitely a pair shape and I don't want to completely lose the boobs this weight gain has given me!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9.. Started out at 180.. Currently weigh 150 and wear a size 4.

Pear shaped and still curvy.. They are just smaller curves now which I like.

I wish women would not be afraid to get down to the lower weight ranges. If it honestly looks bad on you fine.. but those supposed curves you are trying to hang on to will still be there when you lose the weight.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options

I wish women would not be afraid to get down to the lower weight ranges. If it honestly looks bad on you fine.. but those supposed curves you are trying to hang on to will still be there when you lose the weight.

Wow dad106 you are 150 wearing a size 4! That's awesome! I think I was a size 4 in High School weighting 115. When I am at 150ish I wear a size 9. I think I need to really start focusing on my abs to I can be a smaller size. I was a size 7 at 140 so that really says a lot about the inches around my waist. Not only that but I heard if you are over 35 inches around the waist it is dangerous because you develop visceral fat which is unhealthy for your organs. When I was 185 I was 38inches around the waist. Not good at all and unhealthy. It was hard to get out of chairs and bend over to pick up things because my stomach was in the way. I might start the Jillian Micheals 6weeks abs. Maybe then I will see a bigger difference in my clothes.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    I'm 5ft 8 and currently at 168lbs, having lost 7 in the last month. I feel I looked my best when I stayed under 140lb, I fluctuated from 135-140 for years. But I was VERY slim at that weight, so my first goal is 150lbs and will re-evaluate when I hit it. I'm definitely a pair shape and I don't want to completely lose the boobs this weight gain has given me!

Just wondering what size do you wear? Also, I don't want to lose the boobs either. That is just such a bummer. Maybe the only bad thing about losing weight with my body type.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I am almost 5'9" and I currently weight about 144. I think I look the best when I am at 135, but I'm not really focused on weight at this point....just building muscle and trying to look lean. I am small framed, and pear shaped! I typically wear a size small in tops and 4-6 in pants and dresses.
  • KarensCanDoIt
    KarensCanDoIt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8". My goal is 160. Once I get there I'll see if I want to drop it to 140. I've been dieting for the past 25 years or so and have never passed my half way point, so setting a goal seemed like such a stretch when I started MFP. This time I've been successful. I think logging food and being very honest with myself has made all the difference. I can actually see myself succeeding this time. It feels good.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Wow dad106 you are 150 wearing a size 4! That's awesome! I think I was a size 4 in High School weighting 115. When I am at 150ish I wear a size 9. I think I need to really start focusing on my abs to I can be a smaller size. I was a size 7 at 140 so that really says a lot about the inches around my waist. Not only that but I heard if you are over 35 inches around the waist it is dangerous because you develop visceral fat which is unhealthy for your organs. When I was 185 I was 38inches around the waist. Not good at all and unhealthy. It was hard to get out of chairs and bend over to pick up things because my stomach was in the way. I might start the Jillian Micheals 6weeks abs. Maybe then I will see a bigger difference in my clothes.

You can do all the ab work you want but if you still have fat there, it won't make a difference.

My suggestion, eat at a deficit, do total body strength training and cardio.
  • mhenkel0506
    Options
    5'8" here too, goal of 160lbs. Early in college I was down around 140 and I was too thin for my frame. Definitely makes a difference what your body shape is, I think. Started this year at 195, down 10 pounds or so and have hit a plateau for over a month. So I've switched some things up, am doing my second month of ChaLean Extreme and added in TurboKick just this week.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 8.5" (holding on to that .5 as tightly as possible!) I'm currently 156 working to get to 145lbs. I cannot for the life of me recall what my what was in college. I'm assuming it was in the 140s which is why I set my goal as such. Plus we can always reconfigure goals after we've met the current ones, right? :smile:
  • jumadey
    jumadey Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I'm just under 5.8 and currently around 185. I'd like to drop at least 20lbs, and then reassess my goal when I reach the 160s
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 9in and my current goal is 160 but I think when I hit 170 I will probably reevaluate. I am currently 224 and it has been 8 -9 years since I was last in the 100s.
  • s00sh
    s00sh Posts: 91
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and have been yo-yo'ing between 155 and 160 for the better part of 8 months. I'm really top heavy (short torso, lots of fat between my boobs and my lower stomach) with slim hips, legs and no butt. I feel like I need to get down to at /least/ 145 to feel a bit more comfortable with the way my body is shaped. Unfortunately I seem to be stuck in a holding pattern ;)