How do I make my own Black Beans?

Options
MosierTim
MosierTim Posts: 56 Member
I have come to like black beans and like to use them in several dishes. I would like to use them A LOT more but the sodium in the can is out of control! So I want to learn how to make my own. Here is the catch. What ever recipie I use CAN NOT contain onions for alergy reasons.

I have done some research online and found there are several different cooking methods (cook, soak for an hour then cook, soak for a day then cook, etc). and a TON of different recipies.

I am looking for advice from people who know how to do make them. What kind of tips do you have on the best way to make them? What are your favorite recipies?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    for me, I just boil them and then add to whatever dish I want and they kind of take on that flavor. Occasionally will add a little beef bouillion but again have to be aware of sodium but in a large batch with just little boullion probably wouldn't be too bad.

BTW - I tried cooking them with chicken one time and they turned the chicken this really dark gray color.....couldn't eat the chicken just didn't seem right even though I knew there was nothing wrong with it.

Good luck and hope you get more advice
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i havent made my own yet, but when eating at a restaurant for a work function a few months ago, i ordered a black bean and sweet potato burrito. WOW. it was unbelievably delicious! I have found a few recipes for it and i might tweak to make them a bit healthier but wow again, it was so so good and way better than i expected it to be, as i thought it was a funny combination.
    Totally worth trying if you are experimenting with black bean recipes!

(also, search the forums for some recipes!)
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Hi,

Are you looking for recipes that use black beans, or do you need to find out how to take the dried, rock-hard beans into something you can actually eat, so you can use those in recipes that you already have, but can't make without a replacement for the canned beans?
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You can cook them in a slow cooker

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-basics-how-to-cook-bean-74529

Then freeze them in pre-portioned servings so they're ready to use.

I have found some reduced sodium canned black beans which are a bit better too.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've cooked different types of dry beans from scratch, but haven't done black beans yet! May have to try that one of these days.

I've read that the soaking is convenient for quicker cooking time, but absolutely necessary. Don't know if it varies from bean to bean.

I don't have a recipe, but when I cook my beans I usually use onion, which you don't want, so just leave it out, and start by sauteing some chopped celery, grated carrot, toss in some crushed garlic in olive oil (bacon fat would be tasty, but then you have the sodium issue, and of course, it's bacon fat! :tongue: For kick you could add some red pepper flakes. Or a can of diced green chiles. A few tablespoons of tomato paste in with the veggies can add a good kick of flavor too. Then add the beans and cover with either water or low sodium chicken or veggie broth. A bay leaf or two would also add some nice flavor.

Cover and cook until beans are tender! This is just off the top of my head - maybe you can try some small batches and experiment with what gives you the best flavor.
  • MosierTim
    Options
    Hi,

Are you looking for recipes that use black beans, or do you need to find out how to take the dried, rock-hard beans into something you can actually eat, so you can use those in recipes that you already have, but can't make without a replacement for the canned beans?

I want to take the dried, rock-hard beans and make the into somthing I can eat so that I can use them in my recipies
  • sky15425
    sky15425 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I cook my own beans all the time and keep them in the freezer.

Soaking them 8 hours or over night is a must for best texture after cooking. Rinse the beans in cold water and put them in the slow cooker cover with cold water on high for first 30 minutes then low and let them cook all day.
    I've tried the stove top method and the beans always got grainy or they just fell apart so I don't recommend that way.

I don't put anything in my beans while cooking because I don't want added sodium.
    After they cool I put them in ziploc bags lay them flat on a sheet pan to freeze. Then I put the small bags into a gallon size bag and keep them in the freezer. Don't forget to label name and date.
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Soaking them 8 hours or over night is a must for best texture after cooking. Rinse the beans in cold water and put them in the slow cooker cover with cold water on high for first 30 minutes then low and let them cook all day.
    I've tried the stove top method and the beans always got grainy or they just fell apart so I don't recommend that way.

I don't put anything in my beans while cooking because I don't want added sodium.
    After they cool I put them in ziploc bags lay them flat on a sheet pan to freeze. Then I put the small bags into a gallon size bag and keep them in the freezer. Don't forget to label name and date.

I am soooo saving this because I definitely want to try this method...thanks sky15425!
  • MosierTim
    Options

Sky - do you just put enough water in the crockpot to cover the beans? or is there an approximate measurement you use?
  • sky15425
    sky15425 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply. Yes cover the beans with enough water to go above the beans about 3 inches.
    No exact amout of water because it depends on how many bags your making.

Hope this helps.