Does you weigh yourself every day or just once a week?

Options
I know you're supposed to weigh yourself first thing in the morning but do you all weigh yourself every day or just once a week? Is it practical to weigh yourself everyday because don't you put on weight during the day? I weigh myself every Monday morning.

Replies

• HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself way too much! But I usually only count my Wednesday weigh in. :)
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Currently, I don't have a scale so I only get to weigh-in every three months when I have my diabetes check. (Really need to get a new one!) But even when mine was still working, I would never weigh myself everyday. There's just too much you have to take into account like water, hormones, etc. that can make your weight go up and down.
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself almost every day when I first get up. It's my motivation to get myself to work out that day.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, Saturday mornings. I tae my measurements every two weeks, Wednesday mornings.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I weight myself everyday. I want the most information possible about how I'm doing, what works, and what doesn't work. The argument for not weighing yourself every day is that there are so many fluctuations day to day that you can make yourself crazy. My view is that if I'm only weighing once a week, how do a I know if that day is out of whack due to some daily fluctuation? I'd rather know what's going on every day.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Monday morning and record that number. Weight can fluctuate a lot and although some like to see that, I prefer not to. Its whatever you are comfortable with that counts.
  • Puddles0308
    Options
    I'm a slave to the scale. Love seeing the ups and downs throughout the day.
    But I only record Friday mornings.
  • CookieStew
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. It helps me keep track of my daily progress. The scale never lies. If I've been slacking, it's gonna show. Plus, it helps me to be aware of water retention cycles. Eventually, I do want to go to once a we
    ek, but at this point, I can't help but to look. Lol
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I actually weigh... never! I trust that being active and monitoring my food intake will give noticeable results (with time and patience!).

What gives me satisfaction is feeling more comfortable in my body, looking better in photos, and my clothes fitting better. Weight is just background noise that drives you crazy.

Throw away the scale!
  • ErinPaige125
    Options
    I got rid of my scale. For me, if I start looking at the numbers- that will become how I define myself. I know it isn't this way for everyone, but for someone who has been through an eating disorder (and then gained back additional weight after treatment)- scales can be a thin line.

I know what weight I started at when I began my healthy weight loss journey, and I know what weight my doctors recommend my body to be at. I judge my loss by what I eat on a day-to-day basis (healthy or junk food) and how I look/how my clothes fit.

Now, I WISH I had a scale, haha- I would probably weight myself every other morning, right before my shower, if I could do so in a non-obsessive way. When I owned my scale, I was weighing myself every few hours. (not healthy, haha)

I think it gets exciting when the weight starts falling off- we just want to see that number drop- but I would probably just try to keep it to no more than once a day. Remember, weight fluctuates throughout the day based on water, food, etc...

Good luck with your journey :)
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself every day - and then check my food log from the days before to see what worked or didn't work (i can always find the lack of fiber or to much salt) but I only really take into consideration tuesday morning weigh in.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Lately I weight daily just to see how things affect me... I also record that weight daily regardless of the number. It helps to keep myself in check.

I'm trying to go to less often weigh ins though.
  • avt85
    avt85 Posts: 64
    Options
    i weigh myself everyday (at night at the gym's scale just before a workout), i take the pessimistic approach and record my fluctuations accordingly.

it allows me back track and find out what food made me put on the extra weight and/or allows me to keep myself on track now that I am on maintenance.
  • AmyB_1992
    AmyB_1992 Posts: 32
    Options
    I don't use scales, I use the wii fit, I'm not sure if it's accurate though!
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Every morning, first thing. But I only log the Monday morning weight. The other days are just to see if a trend up or down is developing.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I find it helps me learn more about my body and I think it's just a good habit to get into so that if you start falling off the track, you can nip it in the bud pretty early. Also, it's extra motivation for me not to eat or drink crap - it's like ugh, if I have beer, i'll pay for it tomorrow morning when I wake up.

The thing is that you can't let it phase you too much - weight fluctuations will happen a lot on a day-to-day basis, so you can't get too high or low based on the scale number.

Also read a study about people who weighed themselves daily, vs weekly, vs never and there was a huge difference. Those who weighed daily lost the most weight, those who weighed weekly lost some weight, but less. Those who never weighed actually gained weight.
    Not saying that it's the case for everyone, but thought it was an interesting study nonetheless.
  • gtchs
    gtchs Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Every day. I've tried switching to weekly but then it was too easy to pig out early in the week with hopes I could make up for it at the end of the week. Weighing daily keeps me honest every day whether or not I stayed on plan or not.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Every day.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily before I have eaten, but only if I have pooped.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    everyday, but the best thing to do is weigh everyday for 7 days, add them up, and divide by 7.