Runners...I need your help

Options
Maree44
Maree44 Posts: 12 Member
So I have always wanted to call myself a runner and have started to "run" or rather walk fast numerous times before, however; in March/April I started to work myself up to more distance when running and am having some success, which makes me REALLY HAPPY! When I first started in January I had a hard time running for 30 seconds and last week I ran for 20 minutes at 5.5 on the treadmill. Here is where I need your help...

This week I would really like to make it to 22 or 23 minutes but my brain is fighting against me! My brain keeps telling me how long that is and that it's impossible for chubby me to run for 23 minutes, so at about 7 or 8 minutes I give up and stop! It's so annoying but my brain is winning!

If this happened to you what did you do to work past it? This sort of happened to me the week I went to run 9 minutes and I over came it but 9 minutes is way different then 23! HELP!!!

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If your brain is telling you to stop at 9 mins - then you have two choices.
    1. Say "screw you, brain, I'm keeping on going". This can be hard to do, so you might like to try:
    2. Plan to run in intervals. Start out by running 8 mins with a 1 min walk break this week. Next week run 9 mins then have a break, then 10, then 12 etc..... This way you have "permission" to stop, but only for a minute and then you are back to running again. You can either just work these out yourself or find a program that talks you through it - I think Hal Higdon works this way, or just google "walk/run training program" and see what you find.

PS. well done on becoming a runner, it's a great feeling isn't it?
  • pglola09
    pglola09 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it. Our bodies are capable of amazing things despite what our brains our telling us. I have a few suggestions. I find that running outside is MUCH easier than on a treadmill and makes the minutes go by quicker. Also not having the ticking clock right in front of your face the whole time can help as well . If you run outside just where a watch and check it sporadically, not obsessively. If you don't want to go outside I suggest doing an "interval" type of run. Do a warm up at 4.5 for 5 minutes- then alternate between 2 minutes at 5.5 and 2 minutes a 5 (or below if you feel winded). This will help put you in a mentality that you will have a "rest" jogging a little slower. Other than that I like listening to music or podcasts to help pass the time. You can completely make this goal, it is so doable, give yourself credit and get out of your head! The last thing I want to mention is that you do end up "giving up" don't stop completely but bring your pace down to a brisk walk for a minute and then get back up there- doing that is better than giving up after a few minutes.
  • Maree44
    Maree44 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That is sort of what I have been doing...I stop at 8 minutes and walk for a couple minutes and then run again at about 6.0 for 3-4 minutes and then walk again and then run again at 7.0 for a minute or so...So I'm glad to hear that I am doing the right thing. I think I need to tell my brain, "SHUT THE HELL UP, I'M DOING THIS!" haha!
    Thanks for the advice!
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    C25K ....train your brain slowly by building up over time.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Don't even think about it. Next time you get on the treadmill, just do it! You know you can do 20. Just before you reach the 20 mark, relax everything find a focal point, and just do it. Once you get over the fear of the unknown, it will get easier and easier. :)
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Listen to music, arrange your music on you mp3/ipod/phone so that there is one really good track to run to, one that is faster and you like. Have it, as say, the third track, and tell yourself listen to that track before stopping. Do that for 5 runs, then move it to the fourth track, leave it there for five runs, your body will get used to the signal that your brain is telling it, “Hay after this track you can stop.
    This track just screams “run and never stop” to me”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldfc68bxlB8
    Stick a slower track in between that track and the next one
    And you good to go
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmin5WkOuPw
    I’m old school me!
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Listen to music, arrange your music on you mp3/ipod/phone so that there is one really good track to run to, one that is faster and you like. Have it, as say, the third track, and tell yourself listen to that track before stopping. Do that for 5 runs, then move it to the fourth track, leave it there for five runs, your body will get used to the signal that your brain is telling it, “Hay after this track you can stop.
    This track just screams “run and never stop” to me”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldfc68bxlB8
    Stick a slower track in between that track and the next one
    And you good to go
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmin5WkOuPw
    I’m old school me!

I was going to say something similar - cover the timer with your towel and run for three/four tracks instead of counting down the minutes. Works every time for me!
  • Esteficita
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents on that.
    Of course, your brain wants you to stop if you train on a treadmill. Mine does, too and I have completed a half-marathon (that's two hours and more of running). On the treadmill, you stare at the same old spot the whole time. You are in the same enviroment the whole time. I know the treadmill is a safe option because you are in a space were a limited number of people can see you and you don't have to worry about if people think that you may look pathetic. Been there, done that! But your brain is just simply bored to death.

My advice is, put the running shoes on, put your feel-good training clothes on, find a friend or pop in the earphones and go out into nature. Yes, you may have to research into where to run. I don't know where you are located, so finding the perfect place may be hard. But you can always loop (which might strain the brain a bit but not as badly as running on a treadmill). This way, you get to marvel at what's around you as you ease into a running rhythm and believe me, soon enough, 30 minutes will be no bother to you.

And as people before me have said: Kick that ole brain in the shin and tell it to take a chill pill and just keep on running. Music is a perfect suggestion. Run to the soundtrack of your life. Helps me every single time. Also, just enjoy the run. Enjoy the thought that you are doing your heart a huge favor, enjoy that your joints may feel stiff tomorrow but they won't feel half as stiff when you're 80. Enjoy that the muscle that you're building is going to help you burn calories, enjoy that you are having a great time and investing into a healthy future.

:) Keep on running!
  • johnsd8
    johnsd8 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will work for you but it does for me... I break my workout down into minute slots. So I start at a walk and every minute I increase my speed by 1.0 (or 0.5) until I am running flat out, then I reset and go again. Sometimes I will start at a run and reduce the speed by 1.0 but increase the incline by 1.0 every minute until it's at full tilt.

I always set the distance to how far I want to go rather then time, so I'll set it to 5km and then do the above until I have finished, you'll be surprised at how quickly time flies when you are concentrating on the 1 minute changes rather then the whole distance/time. I also find it fun :)

Debs x
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I had EXACTLY the same issue -- my MIND kept telling me "I can't go on...I'm soooo tired...." I sorta knew that my body was capable of going further, but my mind kept winning out. There were two things that helped me bust past that -- the first was when I just got fed up with not running for as long as I thought I should, and before my run I just told myself, "screw it, I'm going to just run for XX minutes no matter what happens, even if I have to run at 2.0mph...I'm not going to stop running".

But the thing that really helped me was getting off the treadmill, NOT taking a watch along, and just going out for a run on a pretty day outside on a flat trail. Getting out of the gym, where there was plenty to look at and think about, it was wonderful. When I was done, I discovered I had run ten minutes longer than I usually did.

Best wishes to you! Your body has much greater capacity than your mind gives it credit for. Give your body a chance to prove it! :)
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents on that.
    Of course, your brain wants you to stop if you train on a treadmill. Mine does, too and I have completed a half-marathon (that's two hours and more of running). On the treadmill, you stare at the same old spot the whole time. You are in the same enviroment the whole time. I know the treadmill is a safe option because you are in a space were a limited number of people can see you and you don't have to worry about if people think that you may look pathetic. Been there, done that! But your brain is just simply bored to death.

My advice is, put the running shoes on, put your feel-good training clothes on, find a friend or pop in the earphones and go out into nature. Yes, you may have to research into where to run. I don't know where you are located, so finding the perfect place may be hard. But you can always loop (which might strain the brain a bit but not as badly as running on a treadmill). This way, you get to marvel at what's around you as you ease into a running rhythm and believe me, soon enough, 30 minutes will be no bother to you.

And as people before me have said: Kick that ole brain in the shin and tell it to take a chill pill and just keep on running. Music is a perfect suggestion. Run to the soundtrack of your life. Helps me every single time. Also, just enjoy the run. Enjoy the thought that you are doing your heart a huge favor, enjoy that your joints may feel stiff tomorrow but they won't feel half as stiff when you're 80. Enjoy that the muscle that you're building is going to help you burn calories, enjoy that you are having a great time and investing into a healthy future.

:) Keep on running!
    One thing to remember if one is running a loop, is to turn around and reverse it. Terrain is different and you see it in a different way.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I count every single second I am on a treadmill. I hate them with a passion. However, off of them, I can do miles and miles (I normally run 50-60 miles a week)

Can you find someone to run with ? The simple act of a little distraction goes a long way.
  • Sarahsarahsarahk
    Sarahsarahsarahk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am not sure if you listen to music while you run but I do. That happens to me all the time where my body and mind are just ready to quit but I want to push myself, so I put on my favorite and most motivating running song! That always helps me!
  • leahnoelle31
    leahnoelle31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When I have to be on the treadmill instead of outside, I check to see what movies are going to be on during that time. If there is something on that I've never seen, my 4-5 miles goes by really fast. I also gradually increase my speed with each commercial break. I prefer running outside but sometimes you have to stay indoors. good luck!
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Get a song where at that time you just get pumped up. ALso I have to hide the timer. If I watch it I want to give up. So I throw my towel over the panel to hide the numbers.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Keep your mind busy while running. When I trained for my first marathon, on long runs we would take Trivial Pursuit cards with us and take turns asking and answering questions.
  • arw4
    arw4 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem when I go on the treadmill. I put the incline up to about 9 or 10 when so I know I'm still getting a good amount of calorie burn even though I only run for 15-20 minutes. I would recommend going outside. It's much more exciting! Grab a friend, if you can! Having a set loop and knowing I have to complete it keeps me going.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Just chiming in to say good for you, for pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, and for being so commited to an exercise you clearly didn't love when you started. I have started and then given up running a number of times, and it's inspiring to see your dedication.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I think of this commercial! Copy/paste the link.

http://youtu.be/A4zJEk06O4g

This coach yelling at me :laugh: I've even yelled to myself POWER THROUGH!