Shakes or other food "suppliments" - Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I don't think processed foods are the way to go. They are usually full of sugar and sodium, making it harder to lose weight and often making you gain weight (in water retention). With that being said, I have Ensure or Adkins shakes in my refrigerator for emergencies. If I'm going to run out the door with no time to eat, I know I can grab a shake to tide me over.
    It's not something that I do on a regular basis.

I don't agree with this at all...No matter what kind of food you eat, processed or not, as long as you are in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight whether you're taking in a bunch of sugar or salt a day. Eating less than your body burns a day = weight loss. According to NASM, calories are calories. There is no need to place foods in to these bad vs good categories.

So what you're saying is that 100 calories from baby carrots is the same as 100 calories from a soda? That the calories from each don't matter, you'll get the same results, involving overall health?

I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I drink protien shakes and eat protien bars on days I have really intense workouts.

But, they are as a snack after a workout or maybe a bar for breakfast sometimes (following a run).

As a rule, I don't substitute them for meals.

I think it's important for us all to learn about portion control, macros, nutrients, etc, and it's hard to do that when your meals are being replaced with something else.

Good luck!
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    Ive tried them all from shakes to bars...it worked for a few weeks but i put the weight back on..
    i lose the most weight just being healthy and exersizing...the easiest option.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Supplements are no substitute for real food. Nothing beats whole food. There are certain supplements, though, such as a multivitamin and fish oil, that should be necessities.

Regarding protein shakes, I do take one post-workout, and I do use shake mix as an ingredient in some meals (mix with oatmeal, good and healthy!)

I also do use a pre-workout.
  • Carofab16
    Carofab16 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I tried protein shakes in the past and they made me feel nauseous. So decided to stop them and have clean stuff. As I'd rather know what I put in my body....
  • lanettamoore
    Options
    GOOD MORNING HEALTHY EATING IS A MUST..I LOST 24 POUNDS FROM MAY TILL JULY..EATING BREAKFAST SNACK LUNCH SNACK AND DINNER..BAKED SALMON,BAKED BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN BREAST,SALADS,FRUITS,VEGGIES,LOW CAL SALAD DRESSINGS,I CUT OUT SODAS AND JUICE COMPLETELY I ONLY DRINK WATER WITH LEMON 94OZS EVERY DAY..I BEEN WORKING OUT FOR TWO WEEKS JUS THREE DAYS A WEEK..ALMONDS ARE GOOD PROTEIN FOR A SNACK..I HAVE A FRIEND WHOS A DISTRIBUTOR FOR HERBALIFE SO IM TRYING HER PRODUCT SHAKES AND ITS WORKIN I ENJOY THE SHAKES YOU DRINK TWO A DAY AND ONE HEALTHY MEAL..YOU CAN EAT FRUITS AND VEGGIES FOR A SNACK..BUT THE KEY IS WHEN YOUVE EXHAUSTED ALL THESE SHAKES AND QUICK WEIGHT LOSS YOU CAN FALL BACK ON HEALTHY EATING AND EXERCISING TO KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF...I FEEL BETTER AND ENERGIZED EATING HEALTHY..YOU CAN DO IT..
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Milkshake after a weights workout is the only time I'll really drink my calories. Real food tastes so much better!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    GOOD MORNING HEALTHY EATING IS A MUST..I LOST 24 POUNDS FROM MAY TILL JULY..EATING BREAKFAST SNACK LUNCH SNACK AND DINNER..BAKED SALMON,BAKED BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN BREAST,SALADS,FRUITS,VEGGIES,LOW CAL SALAD DRESSINGS,I CUT OUT SODAS AND JUICE COMPLETELY I ONLY DRINK WATER WITH LEMON 94OZS EVERY DAY..I BEEN WORKING OUT FOR TWO WEEKS JUS THREE DAYS A WEEK..ALMONDS ARE GOOD PROTEIN FOR A SNACK..I HAVE A FRIEND WHOS A DISTRIBUTOR FOR HERBALIFE SO IM TRYING HER PRODUCT SHAKES AND ITS WORKIN I ENJOY THE SHAKES YOU DRINK TWO A DAY AND ONE HEALTHY MEAL..YOU CAN EAT FRUITS AND VEGGIES FOR A SNACK..BUT THE KEY IS WHEN YOUVE EXHAUSTED ALL THESE SHAKES AND QUICK WEIGHT LOSS YOU CAN FALL BACK ON HEALTHY EATING AND EXERCISING TO KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF...I FEEL BETTER AND ENERGIZED EATING HEALTHY..YOU CAN DO IT..

Your caps is on...
  • treblemaker90
    treblemaker90 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you really look into the "miracle" diets all of them only work in conjunction with a sensible diet and exercise. So why pay for a supplement that's going to force you to do what you can do for free?

I do drink the walmart brand of slimfast shakes for breakfast because its quick and easy but I don't feel like that is the key to my success. I could just as easily eat another type of breakfast with the same calories and nutrients and still lose weight.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Your caps is on...

lol
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't think processed foods are the way to go. They are usually full of sugar and sodium, making it harder to lose weight and often making you gain weight (in water retention). With that being said, I have Ensure or Adkins shakes in my refrigerator for emergencies. If I'm going to run out the door with no time to eat, I know I can grab a shake to tide me over.
    It's not something that I do on a regular basis.

I don't agree with this at all...No matter what kind of food you eat, processed or not, as long as you are in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight whether you're taking in a bunch of sugar or salt a day. Eating less than your body burns a day = weight loss. According to NASM, calories are calories. There is no need to place foods in to these bad vs good categories.

So what you're saying is that 100 calories from baby carrots is the same as 100 calories from a soda? That the calories from each don't matter, you'll get the same results, involving overall health?

I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS.

overall health, no...but in terms of weight loss, a carb is a carb, a protein is a protein and a fat is a fat. I didn't say it was "healthier" but if you get 80gs of carbs from lets say whole wheat bread, it will yield the same results for WEIGHT LOSS as getting 80gs of carbs from straight sugar.

She said, and I quote, "I don't think processed foods are the way to go. They are usually full of sugar and sodium, making it harder to lose weight and often making you gain weight (in water retention)." The statement of just eating processed foods making it harder to lose weight or make you gain weight is what I am disputing. She didn't state anything about overall health, she was just discussing weight loss.

You can call BS all you want but I'm pretty sure NASM knows what it is talking about.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm also a nay-sayer

I've noticed that I might lose weight faster by drinking shakes or following company specific diet plans, but it doesn't teach me how to like healthy food. Also, it doesn't teach me what foods I can load up on for little calories and maximum health benefit.

You're going to get more bang for your buck (literally!) if you stock up of fruits and veggies because of the vitamin and mineral benefits that they have. And I mean natural vitamin and minerals, not synthetic ones that are produced in a lab to make diet shakes.

I don't blame you for wanting to try them, and I definitely don't look down on people who do use them! I just know from personal experience that I feel better when I feed my body what it wants - veggies, fruits, lean meat, natural fats - rather than whatever has the lowest calories.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm not a fan of any of them. For a few reasons:

1. I already spend so much on groceries, I don't want to add to it
    2. I don't believe in "quick fixes" (I'm too cynical)
    3. *My most important reason* I'm in this for the lifestyle change. I want to learn how to eat right for the rest of my life. I have slip ups because hey...I'm human! But I don't want to learn how to lose weight on supplements and then try to RELEARN how to eat in order to maintain. I have the same feelings about programs like Jenny Craig. What do you when you start eating real food again??

This exactly. That being said, I have a protein powder shake for breakfast that I make myself. I don't know if that falls into the shakes and processed foods category to others, but for me it does not. I brought my protein powder with me to my doctor's appointment, and she said it was fine. Even though we get scared that we don't know what it is on the label, she said is a good protein powder. I use Designer Chocolate. Take a peak at my diary if you would like. I see having a protein shake in the morning that I make as a something I can do for my life. However, I also know what I can and can't eat for breakfast if my shake isn't available to me. All checks and balances.
  • LORIMCX
    LORIMCX Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    YAY!
    Shakeology by Beach Body, use can use them a snack or as a meal replacement
    the nutritional benenfits are amazing, and it tastes great, I would recomment the chocolate
    its like having a treat with no guilt, I drink 1 a day
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Going to go ahead and agree with most of the posters on this thread that, no, don't spend your money on something like that. Not to say that Body by Vi or other products aren't effective, but in reality, they are completely unnecessary. If meeting nutritional goals like getting all your protein/carbs/fat in daily is a challenge, then taking a supplement to add to it can help, such as a whey protein isolate. I train and want to train to compete in figure, so I supplement protein as well as other products to improve performance and recovery (glutamine, BCAA's, pre-workout stimulant). Just to lose weight, if you plan your day ahead of time, you can greatly minimize the need to incorporate nutritional supplements. Welcome to the site! Feel free to add me.
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I myself personally drink 2 Herbalife shakes. I love it. I've been doing it since mid April and I'm down 17lbs and 19 body inches. I hear you about the cynical part of miracle diet or what happens when I stop. I actually take a class once a week with my Coach and she teaches me how to read lables and what to look for. I don't plan on staying on Herbalife forever or at least not 2 shakes a day. I actually enjoy my morning shake cause to be honest in the morning I'm too lazy to make much so just blending a shake is quick and easy and tasty. I'm looking forward to hitting my goal weight and then maintaining with a morning shake thereafter and regular healthy proportioned meals the rest of the day. I love the weekly classes cause I feel that I'm actually gaining knowledge and will have a full grasp on my food when I come off my shakes.

Shakes are also not for everyone. I respect anyones diet plan. I have friends who are on Herbalife, Body By Vi, Shakeology, Just eating healthy foods, Vegan and calorie counting. No matter what option you choose you WILL see your goal weight if you stick to it.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Only if you cannot get your required nutrition (macro and micro nutrients) from "real" food.

Which, if you plan ahead, shouldn't be an issue at all. Check out my diary.

Maybe that works for you but personally i need 1/3 less your calories and a lot more protein ... your "model" diary is not everybody's and your goals are definately not my goals. ::shrug::

I like using protein shakes to supplement if that day's protein is under 100gs, otherwise i don't bother. Go with a high quality protein powder, mine has 1 carb and 0 sugars for 30g protein which works well in my macros (Insulin Resistnat so need to limit sugars and carbs)
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Overall nay. I do drink an Atkins's shake everyday to every other day but I don't use it as a meal substitute. I just fit it in with my normal food I'm eating but its mainly because I do feel a lot better having one (could be missing something in my diet maybe). It also helps me reach the potassium levels I want so I can't completely say 'nay' since I do drink that but I don't do anything set in stone as long I'm meeting my nutrient and calorie values.
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The only suppliment I use are protein whey smoothies twice a day. Protein is essential to developing muscle mass. It by itself will not make you loose weight but with exercise will help develop muscle mass faster.
  • lanettamoore
    Options
    LOVE MY HERBALIFE