Shakes or other food "suppliments" - Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I'm also big on the idea of making a lifestyle change that involves real food for meals. Like some others mentioned, I will occasional make my own smoothies with whey protein powder, but those include fresh and frozen fruit. I don't like the idea of diet shakes to replace meals and have tried them in the past. They made me feel like I was on a diet (miserable) and I was hungry an hour or two later. With (mostly) clean eating, I have so much food to eat while consuming fewer calories than I burn, so it's easy to maintain a deficit without feeling deprived or hungry all the time. I would never try doing this with some diet shake, no matter how good someone promises me it is.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I don't think processed foods are the way to go. They are usually full of sugar and sodium, making it harder to lose weight and often making you gain weight (in water retention). With that being said, I have Ensure or Adkins shakes in my refrigerator for emergencies. If I'm going to run out the door with no time to eat, I know I can grab a shake to tide me over.
    It's not something that I do on a regular basis.

I don't agree with this at all...No matter what kind of food you eat, processed or not, as long as you are in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight whether you're taking in a bunch of sugar or salt a day. Eating less than your body burns a day = weight loss. According to NASM, calories are calories. There is no need to place foods in to these bad vs good categories.

So what you're saying is that 100 calories from baby carrots is the same as 100 calories from a soda? That the calories from each don't matter, you'll get the same results, involving overall health?

I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS.

overall health, no...but in terms of weight loss, a carb is a carb, a protein is a protein and a fat is a fat. I didn't say it was "healthier" but if you get 80gs of carbs from lets say whole wheat bread, it will yield the same results for WEIGHT LOSS as getting 80gs of carbs from straight sugar.

She said, and I quote, "I don't think processed foods are the way to go. They are usually full of sugar and sodium, making it harder to lose weight and often making you gain weight (in water retention)." The statement of just eating processed foods making it harder to lose weight or make you gain weight is what I am disputing. She didn't state anything about overall health, she was just discussing weight loss.

You can call BS all you want but I'm pretty sure NASM knows what it is talking about.

I smell a hijacker...
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I don't think processed foods are the way to go. They are usually full of sugar and sodium, making it harder to lose weight and often making you gain weight (in water retention). With that being said, I have Ensure or Adkins shakes in my refrigerator for emergencies. If I'm going to run out the door with no time to eat, I know I can grab a shake to tide me over.
    It's not something that I do on a regular basis.

I don't agree with this at all...No matter what kind of food you eat, processed or not, as long as you are in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight whether you're taking in a bunch of sugar or salt a day. Eating less than your body burns a day = weight loss. According to NASM, calories are calories. There is no need to place foods in to these bad vs good categories.

So what you're saying is that 100 calories from baby carrots is the same as 100 calories from a soda? That the calories from each don't matter, you'll get the same results, involving overall health?

I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS.

overall health, no...but in terms of weight loss, a carb is a carb, a protein is a protein and a fat is a fat. I didn't say it was "healthier" but if you get 80gs of carbs from lets say whole wheat bread, it will yield the same results for WEIGHT LOSS as getting 80gs of carbs from straight sugar.

She said, and I quote, "I don't think processed foods are the way to go. They are usually full of sugar and sodium, making it harder to lose weight and often making you gain weight (in water retention)." The statement of just eating processed foods making it harder to lose weight or make you gain weight is what I am disputing. She didn't state anything about overall health, she was just discussing weight loss.

You can call BS all you want but I'm pretty sure NASM knows what it is talking about.

Actually, studies are finding that a calorie is NOT a calorie. And if a carb is a carb and etc...then who cares if you eat all processed foods or all clean? Oh, that's right YOUR BODY. So - they must NOT be the same b/c your body does NOT handle them the same way...
  • lanettamoore
    Options
    I AGREE
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Great answer - After all of the comments I definitely have to agree!

Thank you for being my sounding board :)
  • Sheilashoo
    Sheilashoo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm
    I've seen so many people around me diet yoyo using shakes and meal replacements. They lose pounds of weight but then it all piles back on once they start eating normally again. What I like about MFP is that by simply counting calories and being encouraged to exercise - this can help change a mind set about food. We can re-educate ourselves to know how much food our bodies really need. I'd much rather have a lunch of fresh fruit, sushi or soup for 200 calories instead of a meal replacement drink that is full of chemical additives. I've been through cancer and so am a real believer of eating food that is fresh and additive free. I don't go over the top - I do eat a range of stuff and have the occasional treat. But when it comes to my regular eating; I've educated myself about what is good for me and by eating fresh foods, my tastebuds seem to have changed and I appreciate real flavours :)
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Actually, studies are finding that a calorie is NOT a calorie. And if a carb is a carb and etc...then who cares if you eat all processed foods or all clean? Oh, that's right YOUR BODY. So - they must NOT be the same b/c your body does NOT handle them the same way...

For weight loss, it is the same. Show me proof that you can't lose weight while eating nothing but junk food? As I stated above, it might not be healthy for your body, but you can still lose weight doing it. Not once did I say it was good for you...all I did was state that you can eating processed food over so called healthy food and it won't stop weight loss.
  • KendraLoveless
    Options
    I'm very leery of weight-loss supplements. I just don't want to mess with my metabolism any more than necessary. That said, I've recently started taking a magnesium supplement, to see if it helps calm my nerves, evens out my blood sugar/insulin balance and and affects my weight loss. I also will have a high protein low carb shake after workouts to help prevent muscle loss. These two things don't seem to mess with my metabolism, and have only positive effects. So I guess I'm a "yay" vote, with certain qualifications... I would not take a shake or supplement for the sole purpose of weight loss, much for the same reasons you stated: how do you maintain later?
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have done the beachbody shake almost every day for the last 5ish months, but mostly because I'm lazy. I think it's probably helpful for the nutrition aspect, as well as keeping me headed in the right direction mentally. I could definitely see doing a shake of some sort for one meal a day the rest of my life - unless I get a personal chef or something. :)

It certainly hasn't had a negative impact - I've lost ~50 lbs over the same time period.
  • PeterKas
    PeterKas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you want to do. I drink "Body Fortress" after I lift weights (trying to build musle mass). I don't use this as a meal subsitiute (I don't think it's designed for that), but something to give me a protein boost after the workout. Remember musle weights more than fat, so you may see a decrease in your weight lost. Most of these drinks taste horrible, so I add mine to milk; not as bad.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I AM a fan of them. There are lots of good ones out there. I use the Shaklee Cinch. And its very healthy, and does keep me full. I would not recommend Slim Fast, but go with one of the more reputable companies that do research and make their products out of natural things, and not processed.

Shaklee, Body by VI or Beachbody. Really if you are using a meal shake, and replacing a meal then you are also not buying as much other food, so I think the cost evens out. I love it as a shake, or sometimes I mix 1/2 serving Cinch with 1cup yogurt and fruit if I feel like eating rather than drinking.

Also a quality mulitvitamin is good too, by the same reputable companies mentioned above. Because unless you are eating 8-10 servings of vegetables and fruits, you are probably not getting recommended daily value of nutrition simply because the nutrition value in our food has decreased a lot in the last 50 years.

I don't know the facts on all those companies, but Shaklee only uses natural sources, so even if a multivitamin looks like a pill, it IS food and nutrition that you are putting into your body.

Feel free to message me with any questions.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Muslce Milk immediately following a work out for recovery. Otherwise, no to other supplemental shakes or replacement drinks.

@akaOtherWise - Regarding the side discussion on a calorie is a calore - new study has an interesting report on this. I'm not advocating either side, but it doesn't seem to be so concrete.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1199154
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I started off just like you did about 14 months ago. I had lots of questions and no real plan but I wanted to make a change. I stopped drinking soft drinks and started exercising. I mostly ran on an elliptical machine because it didn't hurt my feet and knees like running on a treadmill did. I think the first time I felt like I was going to die at 20 minutes but over time it slowly started to increase. I stopped eating fast food and trying to make better food choices. I started losing weight and inches. I think I lost 20 pounds in the first two months and then it seemed to slow down a bit. I started to increase the frequency and duration of my workouts and I'd get it going again. After 7.5 months I'd lost 50 pounds and was feeling good but nowhere near where I wanted to be. I then discovered MFP and started paying a lot more attention to what I ate and following the net calorie principles this program allows you to do. I bought a heart rate monitor with chest strap so I could more accurately track calories burned during exercise. I found that my weight loss increased and became much more consistent week to week. I have lost another 60 pounds since Jan 1. If I have any advice to give it's just follow the program and pay attention to what you eat in terms of calories and get on an exercise program and stick to it relentlessly. See a doctor and if you need some vitamin supplements or such then these are fine but personally I think what worked for me wasn't a pill but eating better and working out. Spend your money on a gym membership, a personal trainer or an elliptical machine for home. These are much better investments in my experience. I tried various things over the last 15 months but the only thing that really works is eating right and exercising regularly. For me that means working out and getting my heart rate up and sweating profusely, it's not pretty but I know I've had a good workout when my shirt is soaked with sweat. Anyway I hope this helps and good luck to you. Stay focused and be patient and just remember there is no substitute for hard work. I say all this to say that for me it's not about starving yourself or trying to eat very few calories, it's about eating good food in the right quantities and exercising to burn off the calories to meet your goal. If my MFP goal for calories is 1,290 to lose 2 pounds a week then I might eat 1,790 calories and burn off 500 in exercise, I hit my goal, it's entirely sustainable from a diet perspective and I'm not hungry. This is what worked for me.
  • brittmar25
    brittmar25 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a Nutrade Total Soy Chocolate shake every morning for breakfast. It satisfies my hunger while only being 140 calories. I am a yay
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I drink Shakeology by Beachbody and I really like it. I don't only do it to lose weight, but it helps me have energy throughout the day and I'm not totally dragging during the day like I used to be. For my breakfast I usually drink my tea with honey and lemon and then have my shake. I don't normally get hungry again until 11, so it satisfies me for about 3 hours.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Only if you cannot get your required nutrition (macro and micro nutrients) from "real" food.

Which, if you plan ahead, shouldn't be an issue at all. Check out my diary.

Maybe that works for you but personally i need 1/3 less your calories and a lot more protein ... your "model" diary is not everybody's and your goals are definately not my goals. ::shrug::

I like using protein shakes to supplement if that day's protein is under 100gs, otherwise i don't bother. Go with a high quality protein powder, mine has 1 carb and 0 sugars for 30g protein which works well in my macros (Insulin Resistnat so need to limit sugars and carbs)

I suggested using my diary as an example. When I eat chicken, I don't eat very much, but I could easily jack up the amount I eat every day, or I could add tuna or something.

From 100g of chicken, you're getting 31g of protein, 0g of carbs and 4g of fat. that's 165 of ALL NATURAL, REAL calories. Not some processed calories in a powder you mix with water.

Need more protein? Eat more chicken (or other lean meats)! Simple...

If I were to choose between a drink made in a laboratory over some meat that was grown and extracted from a real animal, I'll take the animal every day.

@aka...

I'm living proof that weight loss (and overall health) is directly related to WHAT you eat more than HOW MUCH you eat. For the past two weeks, I've been doing an elimination diet to find food sensitivities. In doing it, I had to ditch all the pre-made grocery foods, chocolate bars, sodas, etc etc etc that I used to eat all the time. I'm netting a calorie deficit of 500 calories every day (give or take) yet I've lost about 15 lbs in 2 weeks (I'm losing about a pound a day)! On top of that, I feel better than I ever have in the last few years! If losing weight were all about numbers, how would you explain that?

If all calories were equal, and what you ate didn't matter, as long as the number matched, then I should have only lost 2 lbs so far.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    If you really look into the "miracle" diets all of them only work in conjunction with a sensible diet and exercise.

This totally! Like everybody has said, you have to eat healthy otherwise too!

Good luck! :)
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Muslce Milk immediately following a work out for recovery. Otherwise, no to other supplemental shakes or replacement drinks.

@akaOtherWise - Regarding the side discussion on a calorie is a calore - new study has an interesting report on this. I'm not advocating either side, but it doesn't seem to be so concrete.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1199154

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

"Two-thirds of his total intake came from junk food. He also took a multivitamin pill and drank a protein shake daily. And he ate vegetables, typically a can of green beans or three to four celery stalks."

Again, I'm not saying it is healthy...but it doesn't halt weight loss.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    When I started last month (I'm a newbie here but began this journey alone) I was using the slimfast shakes. I suppose they tasted good and filled me up for a while, but I always got so bloated from them and felt sick to my stomach. When I found MFP and started keeping track of my calories religiously is when I gave up trying to do the shakes everyday. I now use them if I have to go somewhere so I won't be missing a meal instead of making them main staples of my diet.
  • UWZander
    UWZander Posts: 70
    Options
    Why hasn't anyone recommend products like Cellucor's C4 extreme? Technically no data saying it hurts you, causes you to feel like you are on crack and makes you want to workout harder than what is natural. Not actually saying anyone should use it, but it is out there.