What's your take on multivitamins?

Options
So, most of us agree that supplement shakes and/or food are alright but you should not depend on them for a permanent change or become dependant in any way... Plus the cost alone, time it takes to make your own ... etc etc!!

Now - How do you feel about a multivitamin?

I, personally, find myself very tired .. ALL THE TIME! I've been to a doctor and have been told multiple times "there's nothing wrong with you." So, it's not a medical condition by any means. I ultimately blame this tiredness on all the extra weight I carry around with me on a daily basis, stressful job .. etc.

My bright idea was that maybe I wasn't getting all the things I needed in my day to day life. Hence my newly daily routine of "One-a-Day".

Do you take a multivitamin? What are your thoughts on the issue?

Replies

• djeff41
    djeff41 Posts: 28
    Options
    Your energy level will probably increase as you start to lose weight. I find that my energy levels are boosted significantly after any type of cardio exercise.

I do take a multivitamin (Kirkland Multivitamin from Costco) but I do not rely on it for an energy boost.

19105975.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kumanekochan
    kumanekochan Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    As someone who is also 140+ lbs over weight, I can tell you that it's your weight that's making you tired. Imagine carrying around a bunch of bowling balls all day long. You'd be pretty tired!
    once we exercise, change our diets and lose the weight, the energy will just come bounding towards us.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I prefer to get my nutrients from my food. On the other hand, if you're struggling to get those nutrients, multivitamins are a useful tool and it's certainly better than not getting your needed nutrients.

If you want your energy levels to come up, I would concentrate (based on the single complete day from your diary) on eating more, and eating more foods you prepare yourself rather than packaged stuff if possible. Your balance of fats, carbs, and proteins looks pretty good, but you left 700 calories uneaten yesterday.

Eating more will give you the energy to start making the most of your workouts, which will improve your stamina, which will bring your energy levels back up, which will support even more awesome workouts, etc etc.

Again, I'm basing all of this on one logged day in your diary, so take it for what it's worth.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin in case I'm missing certain nutrients. I've also been low on iron before despite eating habits that should have provided iron, so I do it just in case. You'll need to do some research because some vitamins aren't effective when taking other vitamins along with them.

Do you get enough Vitamin D? That can be a big factor, although I'm sure your weight also has to do with it.

Do you get enough sleep? 8+ uninterrupted hours?

Do you have sleep apnea? It's a problem for those who are overweight, interrupts your sleep and can go completely undetected. Not everyone who has it snores or wakes up all through the night. I would get checked just in case since it's very dangerous.