Binge..

Options
So. I try to eat the best I can, but sometimes I get bored throughout the day and that leads to feeling "hungry" and I'll say "Oh, I'll just have a ______" and that leads to eatting my entire house! I don't know what to do... help!? :/

Replies

• ernielaurie
    Options
    Have a safe food that you can eat without guilt, mine is PB2 and lettuce, it tastes really good and is filling. I can eat it and it only adds a few calories. Find a food that works for you then have it on hand all the time.
  • kumanekochan
    kumanekochan Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    What I do is structure my meals so i only eat at certain times and I already know what i'm going to eat. I'm within my calorie intake So i'm good. It takes a lot of planning but I tend to binge less when i follow it. I lost a good amount of weight doing this and then binging and not caring for a while made me pack it back on.

Edit: My point was, if i'm hunger between meals, oh well! I'm in charge of what I eat and when I eat. You're going to feel hungry until your stomach shrinks. Until, try to do other things when you get bored! :)
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Just dont keep foods that are bingey foods for you in the house.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    fruit, carrot sticks and celery to nibble on and a protein bar cut into 8 pieces and stored in fridge... allow yourself 2 pieces and it tastes like candy but will give you a protein kick to stop the hunger pangs oh and drink water...if you still feel hungry go for a walk or do some exercises
  • maxwellt13
    maxwellt13 Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks everybody :)
  • bhajrizi11
    bhajrizi11 Posts: 101
    Options
    thats what happened to me last night. i have done that too often lately. emotional eating i guess. i submitted my day already by adding on all my junk food from last night. im procrastinating that treadmill on the other side of the room right now but i need to burn off about 500 today to make me feel better lol. my day will consist of all veggies and fruit. my diary will not truely reflect my stupid choices but i dont plan on submitting the exercise. im trying to balance out my poor choices haha. TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY-i keep repeating this.

i find that the later is stay up at night the greater the chance i have on binging out. TONIGHT IM GOING TO BED EARLY lol

so everyone does it every now and then. only positive i can come up with is that youre body will get a bit of a shock with the change of diet. but im going to try try try to make better choices. i turn to food for comfort. constant battle-my love of food and my fear of getting big again
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It is a loooong process, but in my opinion, it cannot be addressed quick enough. I have struggled with binge eating for a really long time. I am getting better, but still am no where near 'better'. There are a million tips that I have heard. A few:

*Do not keep 'trigger foods' in the place you binge -work, home, school ext (It took me forever to identify WHAT my trigger foods were, but the journey to getting a handle on your eating takes A LOT of self reflection. MFP has really been monumental in my tracking what and when I eat, and later being able to look back and see what coorelates with what!)

*Make a list of 5 or som things that you enjoy....like a walk to the park, a few rounds of Just Dance video game, corkscrew curling your hair--it doesn't mater WHAT is on this list, just fill it with activities that make you feel good, calm you, make you smile ext. Before opening the flood gate on non-hunger eating, look at your list, start at the top and go through the things on there. I have found that sometimes the will to eat is too much, and just 'putting it off' for as long as possible is the best route for me!)

*BLOG! When you are not hungry, but want to eat, jump on MFP and start typing! Type WHATEVER you want! How you feel, what happened that day, who your angry wuth- just unloading stress sometimes distracts you from boredom eating.

Whatever you do do not get down on yourself. You will try, and fail. We all fall off the wagon, just always do your best. When you have a super low day, don't give into it! Keep your head up and do better for yourself. You are the only one that can make it happen!
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I can relate to that. I am home during the summer months and find myself focusing on when I can eat next and that is so hard. I try to get out of the house. Try going for a walk. You just have to refocus on something else. I do try to keep low calorie snacks like carrots or apples or even a big dill pickle. Good luck
  • bhajrizi11
    Options

YESSS

and dont let the hubby go shopping EVER lol
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you, girl. Unfortunately, I don't really have any advice because I'm battling that issue right now too. But I figured it might make you feel a little better to know you're not the only one. If only they had bottled will power. We'll get past it, though!
  • cjcjcjcjcj
    cjcjcjcjcj Posts: 19
    Options
    Rice crackers are awesome!
  • Candy_monster
    Options
    Have a safe food that you can eat without guilt, mine is PB2 and lettuce, it tastes really good and is filling. I can eat it and it only adds a few calories. Find a food that works for you then have it on hand all the time.

This! :D mine is 65 cal cereal bars, that way when I go crazy and eat a ridiculous amount of them I can (usually) still say that I only ate a maintaining amound :D
  • bhajrizi11
    Options
    thats what happened to me last night. i have done that too often lately. emotional eating i guess. i submitted my day already by adding on all my junk food from last night. im procrastinating that treadmill on the other side of the room right now but i need to burn off about 500 today to make me feel better lol. my day will consist of all veggies and fruit. my diary will not truely reflect my stupid choices but i dont plan on submitting the exercise. im trying to balance out my poor choices haha. TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY-i keep repeating this.

i find that the later is stay up at night the greater the chance i have on binging out. TONIGHT IM GOING TO BED EARLY lol

so everyone does it every now and then. only positive i can come up with is that youre body will get a bit of a shock with the change of diet. but im going to try try try to make better choices. i turn to food for comfort. constant battle-my love of food and my fear of getting big again

im not suggesting to what i do. my food diary is terrible right now. im just to lazy to fix it and dont really rememeber all the junk i ate. im leaving it as is. other people have made VERY good point. dont buy junk and stay away from your trigger food. glad i came across this post :)
  • mollyW2012
    mollyW2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

YESSS

and dont let the hubby go shopping EVER lol

Agreed. This really is key.... and it's taken me a very long time to realize it. If it's not in the house, i can't eat it!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Try drinking water before you eat anything. A lot of times I am just dehydrated.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Since your binges start when you are bored I suggest finding something to do that will hold and keep your interest. What do you like to do? Are you creative at all? What excites your passion? Some hobbies to consider: gardening, reading, writing, painting, sewing, knitting, tennis, swimming, etc. Or just go for a walk when you feel boredom creeping in...explore your city/area where you live. Visit your local art museum. Volunteer at a hospital or food kitchen. There are a lot of ways you can spend your free time besides eating. Have confidence in yourself that you can beat this! You can do it :smile:
  • CynthiaAnnGA
    Options
    I agree w/those who say "Don't buy or bring in unhealthy foods", I love the WASA crackers w/p/b or a little cheese melted on them. They are crunchy & satisfy me. I ate too much for lunch today, but it was all healthy foods. Take it one day at a time & don't be too hard on yourself.