Energy Drinks?

Options
Question,
Are energy drinks good for you if you just have 0ne (1) 12oz drink before or after exercise? (Sugar-Free) I have a 12 oz sugar-free energy drink After a Carido intense workout and 4 mile walk/jogg....My reason I ask this is because it seems to give me more energy after my workout...but what does it do to your metabo/ weight loss?..anyone have any Idea?
Thanks in Advance.

Replies

• JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    There are so many different types of sports drinks and energy drinks out there that it would be impossible to make a blanket statement. Personally, if I'm going for a run of more than 3 miles, I will usually have a Gatorade Prime or Herbalife Prepare about 15-20 minutes ahead of time. If my run is going to take 45-120 minutes, I'll take a break a couple of times during the run to have a zero-calorie Powerade or low-calorie Gatorade Perform or an Herbalife Refuel. Finally, if the run has been at least 90 minutes, I usually have a recovery drink like Gatorade Recovery or Herbalife Rebuild. I find that these products work BEAUTIFULLY to keep me feeling energetic and hydrated during even the toughest workouts. As you sweat, you do lose sodium and potassium, and it's important to keep those electrolytes coming into your body. I also find that coconut water, which is high in potassium and low in sodium, is terrific either before or after shorter runs. The more potassium you get into your body, the less crampy you'll feel!

So the short version of that long-winded answer is probably, "It depends on the length, intensity, and type of workout you're doing."
  • Britt59
    Britt59 Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks, makes sense, I workout quite a bit in the earily mornings 6:30 til around 9:00 ish depending on how I feel, some mornings I start out all energitic and walk at a fast pace and do some joggin for about an hour 1/2 around 5 miles(I have an outside wooded area 8 mile trail'' circle'' I walk at, and on some mornings I can't make it 3 miles before I have to just head back to my truck...My Dr said its because I'm not resting good at night (can't sleep well and after about 2 hours sleep I'm wide awake , but Me and My Dr are looking into this problem...I have lost 78 lbs the last year or so maybe 15 months ,I been with MFP about 10 of those months to keep track of my weight loss and calories and my workouts & read others post that may or maynot help me with my weight loss..I have about 17 lbs to go to get to my preferred weight goal and a ''better'' healthy BMI...That will have me down 95 unwanted lbs...my reason is about the same as yours for losing and getting healthy and to live out my life happy (happy within myself) not to sound selfesh but I'm doing this for me...As to anyone that needs to lose they need to do it for themselfs too & be happy..after all It was I that made myself miserable and unhealthy so its me that can change it back.
    Aanyway thanks for the advise and info...I appreciate it..I do seem to get more energy going after I drink a sugar free energy boost drink..just one 12oz thats all....I wish you the best with your weight loss and that you get to your desired goal...Thanks agian!

Britt59