Shakes or other food "suppliments" - Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• missmcgirt
    missmcgirt Posts: 20
    Options
    I drink 2 Herbalife Meal Replacement Shakes. I LOVE them. I feel soooo much better when I drink them regularly and it makes eating healthier foods easier for me. When I drink the shakes my body seems to crave salads and fruits and healthier stuff. (Now, how much of that is mental and how much of it is actually my body talking to me? God. Only. Knows. LOL)

Ditto!!!!
    i LOVE herbalife!!
    and i think it is our bodies talking to us, we are giving it what it needs and it's learned to tell us what it needs in return
    we've cleaned out all that junk and now crave GOOD stuff
    its amazing!

i'm all for meal replacement and supplements, really helps me to make a healthy choice instead of a bad one or not eating at all
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Only if you cannot get your required nutrition (macro and micro nutrients) from "real" food.

Which, if you plan ahead, shouldn't be an issue at all. Check out my diary.

I agree with both sides here.
    I am intolerant to dairy, soy and eggs and only eat chicken or fish 1 meal a day. So for me it is really hard to get in protein. I use a rice protein powder and it works great for me.
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in suppliments, however I do love protein shakes. I make shakes with Big Train (casein protein not whey) because I use the shake as a meal suppliment. I pay $50 a month for a container and I eat a breakfast shake every morning and about 10+ other meals with it. The cost is about $1.25 a meal for me...not too bad.

Remember - It is a lifestyle change NOT a diet.

Good Luck
  • Journalartista
    Journalartista Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I drink VegaOne at least evevery morning, and have for the last 3 months. It's partly because I hate to cook. That was the reason I went to fast food to begin with. For me, having a shake is convenient.

I did do a lot of research before choosing Vega products. I am always leery about products that are sold by direct sellers (people who make money when you buy from them), and Vega is all plant based.

This IS a lifestyle change for me, not a quick way to lose weight. Yes, my shake every morning is $5, but I used to spend that at Starbuck's.

Good luck on your journey!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I tried Herbalife meal replacement shakes. Not for very long - I found that I greatly prefer real food and find that (other than calcium, for which I take capsule supplements) I can get everything I need from it. I wouldn't dismiss them though - it's all about lifestyle. If you really don't have time to plan meals or cook, and you don't mind the artificial fake sweet taste then I don't think they are harmful, and people ceratinly lose lots of weight using them.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have to eat low carb so my protein intake is high (especially with morbid obesity) so I drink low carb protein shakes when I need a protein boost. I also take an Emergen-C vitamin packet once a day.
  • Crossfitjessi
    Options
    I am on body by vi, and dropped 11 pounds but I agree that you need to eat healthy, body by vi only replaces one or two meal, the other meal needs to be light, healthy, Not fast food. none at all. You need to be conscious. I also do not like the idea of "cheat day"
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I don't think processed foods are the way to go. They are usually full of sugar and sodium, making it harder to lose weight and often making you gain weight (in water retention). With that being said, I have Ensure or Adkins shakes in my refrigerator for emergencies. If I'm going to run out the door with no time to eat, I know I can grab a shake to tide me over.
    It's not something that I do on a regular basis.

I don't agree with this at all...No matter what kind of food you eat, processed or not, as long as you are in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight whether you're taking in a bunch of sugar or salt a day. Eating less than your body burns a day = weight loss. According to NASM, calories are calories. There is no need to place foods in to these bad vs good categories.

So what you're saying is that 100 calories from baby carrots is the same as 100 calories from a soda? That the calories from each don't matter, you'll get the same results, involving overall health?

I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS.

^^^What he said!
  • EnergyYesPlease
    Options
    I don't think processed foods are the way to go. They are usually full of sugar and sodium, making it harder to lose weight and often making you gain weight (in water retention). With that being said, I have Ensure or Adkins shakes in my refrigerator for emergencies. If I'm going to run out the door with no time to eat, I know I can grab a shake to tide me over.
    It's not something that I do on a regular basis.

I don't agree with this at all...No matter what kind of food you eat, processed or not, as long as you are in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight whether you're taking in a bunch of sugar or salt a day. Eating less than your body burns a day = weight loss. According to NASM, calories are calories. There is no need to place foods in to these bad vs good categories.

I agree with the second statement! I hear from very healthy and muscular fitness gurus that they still eat pizza and fatty foods on a daily basis but limit their portions so they don't go over board. They concentrate on their workouts to make sure they burn what they eat and replace those burnt calories with healthy foods including a good share of protein. Just remember the rule of thumb: small portions, 5-6 meals a day. Really works your metabolism and keeps it going all day long. Works amazingly for me!!!
    Everyone is different though, so do what works for you :)
  • kimsciolino
    kimsciolino Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I eat clean for the most part but I do drink 1 to 2 Shakeology shakes a day. I had blood work done before shakeology and I had a few things that came back high. I heard great stories from others who drink Shakeology so I went to my Dr. and she said all the ingredients are good, so I tried it and 3 months later my blood work was really good. I did not change anything just added the shake. You must change any bad eating habits and incorporate some sort of exercise into your daily routine. Good luck with your health and weightloss goals.
  • mbiondolino
    Options
    Shakes should never be a substitue for real food. BUT when used properly, they can aide in better nutrition. I use Metagenics shakes 1x a day to get in the extra vitamins I need, but if you use them as a meal replacement, you will always fail in the long run. Good luck!
  • HauteHauteMami
    HauteHauteMami Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    There is no quick fix . . . However . . . I have a heck of a time when I'm on the go to eat the way I need to so I will supplement with a protein bar or a shake rather than swing through a drive-through . . . This keeps me on track with my food intake . . .
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree with the second statement! I hear from very healthy and muscular fitness gurus that they still eat pizza and fatty foods on a daily basis but limit their portions so they don't go over board. They concentrate on their workouts to make sure they burn what they eat and replace those burnt calories with healthy foods including a good share of protein. Just remember the rule of thumb: small portions, 5-6 meals a day. Really works your metabolism and keeps it going all day long. Works amazingly for me!!!

I'm 28lbs down and eat ice cream, pop tarts, cheesecake, pizza and all other things...two years ago I went from 235 to 165 in 7 months eating the same way. I only work out hardcore 3 times a week and don't do any cardio. According to my doctor I'm healthier than I've ever been.

Side note: It has also been proven that 5-6 (or more) meals a day does not have any effect on your metabolism.
  • rayraex
    rayraex Posts: 50
    Options
    You might be able to lose weight eating junk food with a calorie deficit, but it will be more difficult and less sustainable. You said in an earlier post that "a carb is a carb," which is not true. Simple carbs found in processed foods are easier for your body to digest and is turned into fat quickly. Simple carbs also will hit your body with a spike of sugar, causing your body to crash later. Complex carbohydrates (found in whole grains) take longer for your body to digest, keeping you fuller longer and avoiding the spike of sugar to your system. I have also posted a link to a study you might find helpful.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_162-57461579/study-not-all-calories-are-created-equal/
  • EnergyYesPlease
    Options

I'm 28lbs down and eat ice cream, pop tarts, cheesecake, pizza and all other things...two years ago I went from 235 to 165 in 7 months eating the same way. I only work out hardcore 3 times a week and don't do any cardio. According to my doctor I'm healthier than I've ever been.

Side note: It has also been proven that 5-6 (or more) meals a day does not have any effect on your metabolism.

What I was stating is that everyone is different and just because it didn't work for some people doesn't mean it won't work for her. It's smart to try things that are cheapest and see what works best before spending a ton of money on something that may not work. The 5-6 small meals a day works for me, I burn more calories this way because my metabolism is constantly working all day long.
  • ahhsugarbee
    ahhsugarbee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yay...with exercise :)

Protein shakes can be a convenience, but ALWAYS read the ingredients, invariably they contain some form of sugar, which for some folks is a true poison. I found one product which was of course costly and it contained Maltodextrin...a sugar/filler.

I preferr to purchase a sugar free product or find one that contains stevia.

I think the only true quick fix is exercise...especially if one has a "compromised" metabolic system, i.e., pre-diabetic, insulin resistence

Welcome and congrats on taking this first step toward regaining your health.
  • jaxandmaksmom
    jaxandmaksmom Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    do what is best for you and you are the most comfortable with.

I am using Body by vi and have lost 75 pounds since jan. I have learnt alot. It is not a miracle cure and i still have to watch everything that i eat and do.. but it helps keep me focused and gives me great nutrition...
  • akaOtherWise
    Options
    You might be able to lose weight eating junk food with a calorie deficit, but it will be more difficult and less sustainable. You said in an earlier post that "a carb is a carb," which is not true. Simple carbs found in processed foods are easier for your body to digest and is turned into fat quickly. Simple carbs also will hit your body with a spike of sugar, causing your body to crash later. Complex carbohydrates (found in whole grains) take longer for your body to digest, keeping you fuller longer and avoiding the spike of sugar to your system. I have also posted a link to a study you might find helpful.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_162-57461579/study-not-all-calories-are-created-equal/

"After losing about 30 pounds weight, 21 young adult participants were put on three different diets to see how they affected metabolism: low fat, low carb and low glycemic index."

I can't watch the video due to the fact that I'm in class right now...but does the video state that all of the diets contain the same amount of calories? Or if each diet was specific for the individuals in the study? Plenty of things could cause the the results of that study.

Like this:

"While on the low fat diet, people burned fewer calories, making it harder to keep off weight.
    People on the low carb diet burned the most calories."

If the people on the low fat diet ate less calories than the low carb diet, the results of this test would be the exact opposite.

As far as digestion rate, the glycemic index is irrelevant once those carb sources are eaten with other foods. The glycemic index is measured by eating that carb source BY ITSELF on an EMPTY STOMACH. If you eat a simple sugar with protein and/or fat, the digestion rate will slow down.
  • akaOtherWise
    Options
    What I was stating is that everyone is different and just because it didn't work for some people doesn't mean it won't work for her. It's smart to try things that are cheapest and see what works best before spending a ton of money on something that may not work. The 5-6 small meals a day works for me, I burn more calories this way because my metabolism is constantly working all day long.

I agree with the money/may not work part of your post. Good post on that.

If you actually look up how TEF (thermic effect of food) works, you'll find that eating 3 meals will yield the same amount of calories burned a day as eating 6 meals a day. More meals does not make your metabolism work harder/longer. The body is a lot smarter than people tend to give it credit for.

"I will be the first to admit it that eating 6x a day “can” work. Many people have proved it. But what people neglect to look at is WHY it works. It’s NOT because of some magical accelerated metabolic process associated with eating more often. Most people call this thermogenesis, where the body expels energy in the form of heat through what it has to do (such as the energy of digestion).

But here’s the fun part, if you eat the same amount of food in 6 meals…or 3 meals…isn’t that the same amount of digestion? So how can there be any advantage due to thermogenesis? (getting a bit ahead here)

But let’s go back to the REAL reasons eating 6x a day works:

1. People are recommended to eat more fibrous vegetables and protein to keep fuller
    2. Eating more often can help curb cravings and binge eating
    3. At the end of the day people who get success are still in calorie deficit"
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Shakes should never be a substitue for real food. BUT when used properly, they can aide in better nutrition. I use Metagenics shakes 1x a day to get in the extra vitamins I need, but if you use them as a meal replacement, you will always fail in the long run. Good luck!

I agree (never tried Metagenics tho)....

To me, if you are short on protein for the day or are going to grab fast food or crap, a shake is a MUCH better substitution.