Does anyone with kids work out at the Y?

Options
Do you like it? Do the kids like it?
Im searching for a possible gym membership and I'm curious to know your thoughts
Choices in my area are very limited, this one is a little out of the way (I'd have to drive approx 25 mins one way) but maybe worth it?

Replies

• julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old and we both love the Y. She goes to the nursery there and does great and it gives me a chance to get in a great workout. I highly recomment the Y.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Thanks the other choices are limited, some have childminding, some dont
    The ones that DO have the childminding, it's closed in the summer :(
    So I feel like I'd be wasting a few months membership ...
  • Collinsclan22
    Options
    I take my 5 little ones to our Y childcare while I work out 5, sometimes 6, days a week during the summer, and the ones who aren't in school yet go with me during the school year as well. That was the selling point in a Y membership for us.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 year old and have been a member of the Y since before he was born. He loves it, especially now that he's a little older. They do crafts and play games and give you 2 hours of free day care while you work out each time you come. I would highly recommend it. Plus, on lousy days, he's got the added incentive of swimming in the pool after my workout is done.
  • cartoonsrcool
    Options
    Going to the Y works out great with kids. Sometimes our son will ask to go to the playroom (Y daycare), which helps force us to go up there.

There are a number of programs for kids as well. We will probably be signing our up for swim lessons soon.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Y membership, we cancelled only because we couldn't afford to keep it. That said, we haven't been there in months and every time we drive by my 6 year old son asks if we can go. He misses it so much!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I like it. My son is 4 so he goes in the room with the locked gate. My daughter is 8 so she goes in the family room, which is not controlled really. Sometimes the family room makes me nervous. There is an attendant in there a lot of the time but sometimes not. They have security at the front and so I try not to let my imagination run away with me. I leave her my phone so she can call people if she needs to.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I used to when my daughter was young enough, but now she's too old to go into the nursery and I haven't checked to see if they offer any other type of childcare for children her age. Besides, they were always closed in the middle of the day when I would finally have time to go :grumble: .

The Y that I use is a VERY small one and doesn't offer a lot of the same services as the larger ones "in town" do. LOL
  • Rachzma
    Rachzma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just joined the Y 3 weeks ago. We love it. We go every day. I have a 9 year old daughter. I work out while she swims in the pool. Last summer she went to the daycamp as a non-member and loved it.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    yep been a member of the local ymca since high school lol :) love it and now that I have kids they love it as well. We do the family and open swim together , both my girls did pre school at out YMCA , and love the daycare service for while I am working out ( my girls call it the inside play ground room ). I have a 7year old and 5year old :)

I can use the play room up until the girls are 13years old :) ( could start to use it at 6weeks old and they have certified staff with child clearences which made me happy plus its super clean since it has to keep up with state regs. )

the Y also offers other great things for famils like

family movie nights
    parents night out they babysit while you and your signifcant other go out on a date night
    breakfast with santa / story time with him and the wife :)
    halloween party / haunted gym / hay ride / hay maze threw the football feild / and swimming ( halloween is a big deal at my YMCA its pretty awesome)
    forth of July dance for kids

plus all the camps and activitys the kids can joy throught the year / not to mention the adult fitness classes :)

ya I love our YMCA
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I work out at the YMCA in Sacramento with my 16-year-old son. He plays rugby and has gotten very serious about body-building.
    We used to go when he and his brother were younger too. They had swimming lessons there and they played basketball.
    I love it.
    There is a real cross-section of the community there and there is something for everyone. There are old and young and athletes and geeks and special-needs people coming through the doors. It is not just the young and svelte.
    The Y has nursery care and tumbling classes and yoga. The exercise equipment does not gleam with polish and chrome -- and sometimes it is out of order -- but everything you could need is there.
    Ours is a little bit inner city, and parts of it are windowless and dank, but many of the other Ys have begun competing with the health clubs and so they are a lot more bright and new.
    I highly recommend the Y as an experience for kids, and for parents.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    the y here has an application for financial assistance if you can't pay for it. it also has child care.

i hope you find one!
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    This is all great feedback thanks!
    They just did a 3million renovation to our local Y and got all new cardio equipment
    I figure even if "I" dont use it 7 days a week, the kids will use it a good portion of that time ....and that alleviates me paying for extra classes for the kids to attend outside of the Y