Calling all RUNNERS =)

Options
I am a runner and LOVE it but I am still new. I have my second race on Labor Day, the Mackinac Bridge Run. My first one was a 5K and this one is a 4 1/2-5 mile race, so not quite a 10K. I am slowing my pace and increasing my distance per week. However you HAVE to run a minimum of a 12 minute mile (EDITED). So I need to work on my pace as well. I am beginning more strength training next week and I will be running hills this week. I was told I should go to a track and do speed intervals. Any tips would be awesome!

Thanks in advance. Happy running =)

"Life is short, running makes it seem longer."

Replies

• dreamin2bethin
    dreamin2bethin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Any other tips anyone can give me on what I should be doing? =)
  • jporche77
    jporche77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow are you sure you have to be able to run 12 miles per hour? Because that is really fast. Or did you mean a 12 minute mile?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    12MPH - that's 5 minute miles!!! Are you sure they don't mean 12 minute miles?
  • bridies01
    bridies01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Agreed - 12 mph is super fast - 12 min mile is do-able. What is your current pace?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Checked the website....

"Rules: Runners who expect to run slower than 12 minutes per mile and/or who cannot run the entire five miles should not enter the lottery. It is important to keep the runners and walkers as separate groups for this event."

to the OP, what was your time on the 5K?
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    You surely mean a 12min mile which is 5mph right?

Several things you should probably do. You'll want to mix up your training so that you are working in different heart rate zones, each of which has a different effect on the various elements that define 'fitness' and improves the other aspects along the way. Google Heart Rate Zone training for tonnes of info.

I'd suggest you want to do long slow runs, longer than your target distance and a nice easy pace that doesn't raise your HR above 75% of max - if you aren't using a HRM then for me that is about equal to 4 pace breathing (as in 4 paces [left, right, left, right] during inhale and 4 paces during exhale).

Next some fartlek intervals or hill intervals or sprint intervals. Anything that gets the HR up over 90% (or 2 paces or less per breath) with plenty of recovery time (it differs based on which of these three you do).

Finally I'd include some 4.5mile runs simulating your race pace with HR probably at 75-85% of max.

The combination should lift your speed within a few weeks. Certainly that was my experience.
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The website is saying that runners who want to enter the lottery drawing should be able to do at least a 12 minute mile pace, so 5mph. I don't think they stop you if you're going slower, because it's not a timed race, they just want to separate people who are running vs people who are walking.

A 12 minute mile is totally doable. It seems like you have a good handle on your training, and I think you should have no problem with the race. Good luck!
  • dreamin2bethin
    Options
    Haha, whoops sorry about that. Yeah it is 12 minutes per mile. I edited it! That would be crazy though! :P
  • dreamin2bethin
    Options
    Checked the website....

"Rules: Runners who expect to run slower than 12 minutes per mile and/or who cannot run the entire five miles should not enter the lottery. It is important to keep the runners and walkers as separate groups for this event."

to the OP, what was your time on the 5K?

My time was 35:30 although I was running on a injured knee so my time could have been way better. I took a month off after the race and focused on recovery. My knee is MUCH better and I have been back training for almost a month now.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    RIght now you would probably benefit more from a weekly tempo run to condition your body to run at a faster pace aerobically.

Technically you want to train your body to more efficiently handle lactate when running at high aerobic speeds, just below the anaerobic threshold.

If you want to get better between now and then and beyond:
    1. Run as much as you can within your ability to recover and your time available. Most of this is at an easy pace.
    2. Once a week do a tempo run. Mile or so warm up, 20 or more minutes at a hard pace (You should be breathing hard but not gasping for air. Pace will be hard and fast but something you can sustain for the 20 minutes. If you have to slow down a lot then it was too fast). Then a mile or so cool down. (You can also break these into tempo intervals such as 4 x 5 min at tempo pace with a 2 min jog in between each one, that may be easier to accomplish as you first start doing them. - The pace should still be the same as the 20 min pace)
    3. Do a long run once a week. Start with where you are right now. Build it up over time to 90+ minutes. Keep the pace easy.
    4. Do strides a couple of times a week after an easy run. Over a distance of 100m or so gradually pick up the pace to very fast but not full out sprint. Hold the pace for 20 to 40 meters. Then let off on the effort and coast back to a walk. Rest a minute or two and repeat for around 6 reps.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying this is the best way to do it but its what I've been doing to increase my pace.

I pick 2 lamp post or trees and run faster between those then jog it out til I'm recovered then pick another 2 and pick up the pace, . After you have run much faster the slower pace gradually picks up too. This would also work if you're on a track but I get really bored running on a track.

If you're running on a treadmill you can do the same but using time push the pace for 1 min and jog it out for 2 or 3 min before picking up again, build up the fast minutes and you'll be flying :)

And I agree that if its not a timed you should be ok though.

Good luck.
  • dreamin2bethin
    Options
    You surely mean a 12min mile which is 5mph right?

Several things you should probably do. You'll want to mix up your training so that you are working in different heart rate zones, each of which has a different effect on the various elements that define 'fitness' and improves the other aspects along the way. Google Heart Rate Zone training for tonnes of info.

I'd suggest you want to do long slow runs, longer than your target distance and a nice easy pace that doesn't raise your HR above 75% of max - if you aren't using a HRM then for me that is about equal to 4 pace breathing (as in 4 paces [left, right, left, right] during inhale and 4 paces during exhale).

Next some fartlek intervals or hill intervals or sprint intervals. Anything that gets the HR up over 90% (or 2 paces or less per breath) with plenty of recovery time (it differs based on which of these three you do).

Finally I'd include some 4.5mile runs simulating your race pace with HR probably at 75-85% of max.

The combination should lift your speed within a few weeks. Certainly that was my experience.

Thanks! I will be purchasing a HRM next week (hopefully), any suggestions on what brand? I am thinking the Polar FT4, FT40, or FT 60. Anyways I think a HRM will be so useful for training.

When I do intervals how many times should I do them and how many times a week should I focus on intervals?
  • dreamin2bethin
    Options
    RIght now you would probably benefit more from a weekly tempo run to condition your body to run at a faster pace aerobically.

Technically you want to train your body to more efficiently handle lactate when running at high aerobic speeds, just below the anaerobic threshold.

If you want to get better between now and then and beyond:
    1. Run as much as you can within your ability to recover and your time available. Most of this is at an easy pace.
    2. Once a week do a tempo run. Mile or so warm up, 20 or more minutes at a hard pace (You should be breathing hard but not gasping for air. Pace will be hard and fast but something you can sustain for the 20 minutes. If you have to slow down a lot then it was too fast). Then a mile or so cool down. (You can also break these into tempo intervals such as 4 x 5 min at tempo pace with a 2 min jog in between each one, that may be easier to accomplish as you first start doing them. - The pace should still be the same as the 20 min pace)
    3. Do a long run once a week. Start with where you are right now. Build it up over time to 90+ minutes. Keep the pace easy.
    4. Do strides a couple of times a week after an easy run. Over a distance of 100m or so gradually pick up the pace to very fast but not full out sprint. Hold the pace for 20 to 40 meters. Then let off on the effort and coast back to a walk. Rest a minute or two and repeat for around 6 reps.

Wow! Thanks! That will be really helpful. I can't wait to get out of work and run! Thank you so much. =)
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hills, too. They suck, but they help! :laugh:
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4. Does the job and it's reasonably priced.

I'm no expert. Personally I wouldn't do intervals more than once per week - they're hard and if like me you are operating 6 days per week on a calorie defecit they do take time to recover from.

I like sprint intervals. 30 seconds absolutely flat out, then 4mins recovery. Repeat 6 times.
    Also hill intervals. Run up fast (not flat out but maybe 80% of that) and jog slowly back down. Repetitions will depend on the size of the hill :-) Just do enough that you feel you had a tough workout.
  • dreamin2bethin
    Options
    Agreed - 12 mph is super fast - 12 min mile is do-able. What is your current pace?

I typed it in wrong, whoops. Yeah it is a 12 min mile. When I did my 5K I was at about 11-12 min mile but I also ran on a injured knee. I haven't focused on pace so much, I have been focusing doing long slow runs. I also will run 15-20 minutes at a faster pace but it is not so uncomfortable that I either can't do it or have to slow down but my HR is up.
  • dreamin2bethin
    Options

YES THEY DO! I found this quote it is so true "Hills are our friends...we just havent learned to appreciate them yet." But like you said they do help, we will feel it later or the next day for sure!
  • abellone7289
    abellone7289 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am pretty new to the running thing myself. I had a friend who runs marathons help me out with a training plan for my first race, which is on August 12th.

First I am going to assume you mean a 12 minute mile, so correct me if I'm wrong (I can barly ride my bike at 12mph!) So based on my plan, having 9 weeks til my race and running 3x a week was this

Week 1: 1 mile, 2 miles, 1 mile
    Week 2: 2 niles, 1 mile, 2 miles
    Week 3: 2 miles, 2 miles, 2 miles
    Week 4: 2 miles, 3 miles, 2 miles
    Week 5: 3 miles, 2 miles, 3 miles
    week 6: 3, 3, 3
    Week 7: 3,4,3
    Week 8: 4,3,4
    week 9: 4,4,4

He said you should always train a few miles over your race distance (execpt if it's a marathon). FOr me, I noticed that I could run a 12 minute mile almost right from the start, but the slow increase of distance has me running about a 10-12 minute mile at this point since I am more in shape now. most days I can run the 3 miles that I am up to in about 35 minutes ( I slow down the farther I am running).

You could pick up a similar schedule, maybe starting with the week 4 one and increasing it by the pattern as you need to.

Hope this helps!
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options

I love hills they really pick up your fitness and you learn to leave others standing when you keep bombing up them and they've stopped for a rest :laugh:
  • dreamin2bethin
    Options
    Hi! I am pretty new to the running thing myself. I had a friend who runs marathons help me out with a training plan for my first race, which is on August 12th.

First I am going to assume you mean a 12 minute mile, so correct me if I'm wrong (I can barly ride my bike at 12mph!) So based on my plan, having 9 weeks til my race and running 3x a week was this

Week 1: 1 mile, 2 miles, 1 mile
    Week 2: 2 niles, 1 mile, 2 miles
    Week 3: 2 miles, 2 miles, 2 miles
    Week 4: 2 miles, 3 miles, 2 miles
    Week 5: 3 miles, 2 miles, 3 miles
    week 6: 3, 3, 3
    Week 7: 3,4,3
    Week 8: 4,3,4
    week 9: 4,4,4

He said you should always train a few miles over your race distance (execpt if it's a marathon). FOr me, I noticed that I could run a 12 minute mile almost right from the start, but the slow increase of distance has me running about a 10-12 minute mile at this point since I am more in shape now. most days I can run the 3 miles that I am up to in about 35 minutes ( I slow down the farther I am running).

You could pick up a similar schedule, maybe starting with the week 4 one and increasing it by the pattern as you need to.

Hope this helps!

That is something kind of like I was doing to begin with back in Jan. I followed couch to 5K by runnersworld.com I believe. Good luck and happy running. Thanks for the tips.