Anyone using Fitbit? Do you like it?

Options
I'm thinking of getting one because I like charts and graphs :) Is anyone using it? Do you like it? Is it worth the $100?

Replies

• cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my fitbit. It's my favorite gadget. It does 3 things for me that have helped my weight loss efforts.

1. Information is power. Want to know how much a sedentary lifestyle is costing you calorie-wise? You figure it out very quickly with fitbit. Sitting around instead of moving can cost you upwards of 800 calories!

2. It's good motivation. Getting up and moving when you have something attached to you that's actually tracking it is a powerful way to get you moving.

3. It's easier to look at the whole process as banking. You want to eat dessert that day? Put in some yards and earn it.

I think it's invaluable.
  • lizziwool
    lizziwool Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had one since Oct 2009, I'm actually on my second one (bought the new ultra). I wear mine on my underwear because my first one somewhat exploded when I banged it off a desk, I was able to glue it and it still worked, but I felt it was fragile after the repair and wanted to newer version with the flights of stairs. Obviously since I've bought two (actually three - gave one as a gift) I like it. I really like that it syncs up with MFP, but it all comes down to calories in vs calories out and I have been yo-yoing my whole life. I'm down about 15 since the start of the year and stalled, then just joined here a week ago yesterday.

I'll also add my friends on here that also do zumba with me get a higher calorie burn from manually entering their work out based on heart rate monitor or just using high impact aerobics for their exercise log than I get with my fitbit (I'm no slacker in class), but I figure I'd rather not take the higher burn as I may then over-eat based on earned calories.
  • jml_25
    jml_25 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how it works it is 100$ and then an additional one time 49$ for the premium? does it track calories burned for the 24 hours without the extra premium membership thing?

I am very interested in getting this to make sure my calories are right at -500. this seems like the best way to make sure you are eating just the right amount everyday!
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I just got mine yesterday so today is my first day with it. I do not have the premium. It tracks all activity including sleep. It shows every time I got up last night and how long it took to fall asleep! Kind of interesting. Did my usual walk today and it was right on with my pedometer but calories were slightly higher on Fitbit. Syncs to MFP for activity and foo. I enter food on MFP and the activity comes from Fitbit. So far it is super simple.
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how it works it is 100$ and then an additional one time 49$ for the premium? does it track calories burned for the 24 hours without the extra premium membership thing?

I am very interested in getting this to make sure my calories are right at -500. this seems like the best way to make sure you are eating just the right amount everyday!

It is $100. The premium is extra. I bought premium before I found MFP. I really don't think premium is necessary, I don't think it adds much. As a matter of fact, I hardly look at the fitbit website any more as MFP is far superior. The device will hold seven days of detailed data and 30 days of summary. This has been helpful as I travel a lot and don't always drag the laptop along. I believe that it will be helpful for what you are trying to do. I love mine, I've had it since October and even bought one for my husband. (He actually uses it, surprise, surprise.)

Good luck
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I love mine. It has really made me increase my activity because I can look on there and see how well or how poorly I'm doing. There's been days where I'm close to getting another badge and I'll just go do more walking or go up and down stairs to add to it. When you are really working your butt off some days, literally, it is so nice to see how many calories you have burned too.

The ultra is nice because it counts elevations including walking up hills and ramps instead of just stairs. I'm now walking up the ramps to my car in the parking garage rather than take the elevator. I'm not late for work much anymore so I don't have to park on the roof! LOL

So far the company has been great. The holder broke and they sent me another within 10days and I'd asked if I could buy another docking station for work and they just sent me another for free.

That it syncs with MFP is awesome!
  • lizziwool
    lizziwool Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I never bought the premium; their site is fine without it (you can also use their site to log without a fitbit), but I like MFP's logging better especially for repeat meals like a salad with multiple ingredients. Fitbit could take a lesson in the copy feature. I'd say the activity tracker is a nice tool, but I prefer MFP for the food side of things.

The other nice thing is the fitbit holds it's charge for well over a week and that it uploads automatically when you get within a certain range of the reciever. I haven't been using the sleep feature lately, but have in the past and it does a great job of showing how well or poorly you're sleeping.
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have one but it's worthless for weight lifting, sadly, because I lift heavy and would love to get an accurate burn.
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    for lifting i say HRM but a fitbit has its place too
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my fitbit. It's my favorite gadget. It does 3 things for me that have helped my weight loss efforts.

1. Information is power. Want to know how much a sedentary lifestyle is costing you calorie-wise? You figure it out very quickly with fitbit. Sitting around instead of moving can cost you upwards of 800 calories!

2. It's good motivation. Getting up and moving when you have something attached to you that's actually tracking it is a powerful way to get you moving.

3. It's easier to look at the whole process as banking. You want to eat dessert that day? Put in some yards and earn it.

I think it's invaluable.

Its worth $99 because of this ^^^

For me, I found that my calorie burn estimate was off by about 100 calories, which once I saw, I compared to my historic weight loss and it matched up well.

One other thing I use it for is basically, I can look at my calories burned at any time during the day and I know that as long as I finish the day with 500 calories less than my burned number, I am on track. It helps you make on the go decisions.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I love mine - have had it for a few weeks! I didn't get the premium. I didn't see a need for it.

here is a link to get it for $84.84 - blue one. I got the pink one at this price, but, the blue one is cheaper right now.
    this is the cheapest place I could find to get it. :smile:
    http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Wireless-Activity-Sleep-Tracker/dp/B005PUONIK