Insulin-Dependent Diabetics

Options
Any Insulin dependent diabetics out there? I'm a type 1 diabetic, diagnosed when I was nine, and I'm on an insulin pump. I worked at NIH with diabetes and digestive disorders for a while, so I love talking to type 2's as well. Actually any metabolic-disorder-inflicted people would be great to have as friends.

I have loads of problems with low blood sugars when I'm trying to stay under such tight control. For example, I woke up in the middle of the night last night with a low blood sugar and wandered into the kitchen, polished off three bowls of raisin bran and a pack of saltines and hummas before I came too. Consequently, either I have to run a marathon today or I'm eating salads and drinking hot tea--blah!

Replies

• Dorkaleena
    Dorkaleena Posts: 59
    Options
    I'm a Type 2 diabetic but I AM insulin dependent. (One Dr. said something about be me being Type 1.5. but I have no clue what THAT means...)

I take both Lantus and Humalog. No oral meds. Since I started working on my health 6 weeks ago my sugars have been SO MUCH BETTER. However, the first 10 days were a nightmare. Sometimes I'd crash 2 or 3 times a day. I was so exhausted from all the crashing. OMG. Thankfully that's under control now. :)
  • SusieGirlRN
    SusieGirlRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I see this all of the time with my Dad who is an insulin dependant diabetic & it drives my mom completely insane. She, for the "life of her" can not understand "why" he can not "control" his blood sugar.... Hmmm, if only it really was that easy in all instances. I had gestational diabetes, therefore very well may be diagnosed sometime in the near future. It happened, I would say maybe set aside an "emergency low blood sugar snack". So, should this happen again ~ you know what you are going for & it is already a controlled amount ... there may be a better chance of not going for more. Dad has the oral gel to quickly raise his blood sugar, which he will never use ~ he much prefers to eat ... but if you leave that out as well, perhaps that may help? Probably not the first thing you look for though ... have a wonderful day :flowerforyou:
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    <
    type 1 diabetic right here. I was diagnosed at age 12, been diabetic 33 years now and I've been on a pump for over 15 years. No complications and my challenge lately is to try and manage my low sugars while running. You're welcome to add me.
  • tinko1
    tinko1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have had juvenile diabetes since 1990, and started insulin pumping in 2007. I use a Medtronic Paradigm 750 Revel pump in PINK. I also have a Dexcom sensor.

My favorite insulin to use is Novolog.. I sometimes find that the Humalog crystallizes in my pump tubing, making my BG's run high.

I have been clean eating since 5-29-12 and have noticed such a difference in my blood sugars, since I began limiting my carbs and cutting out processed and unnatural sugars.

Nice to meet everyone :)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Type 1 (juvenile) since 1990. I use the Minimed Paradigm. I don't have CGM, yet. I've been using an insulin pump since 1996.

No complications.
  • phylliskboston
    phylliskboston Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have had type 1 insulin dependent diabetes since the age of 2, recently celebrated my 38th dia-versary! I'm having a big party in 2 years for the 40th anniversary of my diagnosis! :o)

I also have Celiac disease, have had it since I was 6.

I have been on an insulin pump for 12 years
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm a diabetic too. I was diagnosed at nine and use a Medtronic pump and use the MiniLink sensor.
  • fitnhappyjourney
    Options
    Hi! I'm not diabetic but my husband is Type 1 and uses Lantus and Humalog. My hubby is trying to lose weight and it's having those problems with low blood sugar in the middle of the night. We are trying to change our lifestyle eating clean and making exercise.