Whole grains - I miss my bread :(

Options
Bread is my weakness ..

With all the hear-say on "how to substain a proper diet" we're told to exclude breads for best results. I haven't done much research on this but I'd like to know where everyone else is at with breads!

Since my initial start of my whole life change I haven't touched a piece of bread to this day. Granted, it's only been a week and a half but if you knew me, it's a lifetime! Haha!

Is there some sort of portion control I should be careful overstepping while eating whole grains? I'd love to put bread back in my life!!

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in dropping breads from my life. For people with intolerances, that's one thing but for weight loss it's another. I try to limit my white bread but whole grains are healthy and filling.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I love bread and I bake my own bread. Like everything, I eat it in moderation and try to eat mainly whole grain, not white. In my opinion, cutting out foods completely that you love is asking for disaster, as how is that anywhere near sustainable for the rest of your life? A life without bread is on not worth living, in my opinion! :bigsmile: Portion control doesn't get the recognition it truly deserves.

Signed,
    An MFPer who lost 30 pounds and has maintained the loss for 5 months while never giving up bread.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that all grains are garbage and wheat especially is poison. You're better off not eating them. Trust me, after about a month you will barely even notice bread, not even the smell gets my attention any more, and I loved bread as much as the next fat guy ;)
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that all grains are garbage and wheat especially is poison. You're better off not eating them. Trust me, after about a month you will barely even notice bread, not even the smell gets my attention any more, and I loved bread as much as the next fat guy ;)

Does that mean you give up everything on bread? No sandwiches, burgers .. ??
    I'm noticing I don't hit my targets and I'd like to know how to increase that without going overboard. My norm would be to eat a sandwich!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

Wow, garbage? OK might seem like poison if you are allergic but if not, this statement is nonsense.
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a cook and convenience has definitely taken the place of healthy eating in my past. I'm looking for better and inventive ways to avoid this :)

Thanks for the comments thus far <3
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to keep bread in the house b/c I can't stay out of the damn bag! I do however use some sprouted grain tortillas, and multi-grain Sandwich thins as my carbs. And recently I've been buying Manna bread at whole foods - that's another sprouted grain product. Sprouted grains are naturally higher in protein and those loaves usually are low fat, lower in sodium and really high in fiber. If you're wanting bread you may want to try one - Ezekiel is one of the major commercial brands.
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    This time around, I'm trying to change my diet in a sustainable way, making sure that the choices I make will work for me long-term. For me, this means keeping bread in my diet, albeit on a more limited scale. I try to avoid white breads but I don't see anything wrong with incorporating whole grains. I'm eating a piece of Orowheat Healthy Whole Grain bread right now, as a matter of fact - toasted, with peanut butter and banana. Denying yourself completely of things you don't want to live without is a recipe for failure, in my opinion. Practice moderation and make changes you can live with. :happy:
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I love bread and refuse to give it up! Hasn't hindered my progress by any means.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I LOVE bread. I eat multigrain sandwich thins. They are not so super whole grain where you can barely chew them and fairly low in calories. Unless we are eating toast, then it is Jewish rye all the way baby.

ETA the sandwich thins I buy are 90 calories and 5g of fiber.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    flax and almond meal can make a really nice bread. there is also low carb pita/lavash breads from josephs bakery.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you are cutting out something that you love and crave and deeply regret giving up, and think that this is part of a sustainable change, then you may want to reevaluate your definition of the word "sustainable". Stop getting diet advice from Mark Sisson and company. You don't HAVE to cut out grains to lose weight. Some people find success doing this and others don't.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in dropping breads from my life. For people with intolerances, that's one thing but for weight loss it's another. I try to limit my white bread but whole grains are healthy and filling.

same
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    I try not to eliminate anything from my diet...although there are a few things, like artificial sweeteners, I choose to not eat. I don't know if you get this brand in Canada, but it's the best one I've found so far. Tastes good. Decent calories. Very low sodium.

Pepperidge Farm Stoneground 100% Whole Wheat (1 oz.) 70 calories 90mg sodium 2g fiber

Look at labels closely. PF actually has two Stoneground 100% Whole Wheat <rolls eyes> I think the only difference may be the size of the loaf and thickness of the slice. lol

And, as with all things, portion control!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much bread simply because I don't like sandwiches and I've never eaten bread with most meals. But when I want bread, I have bread. I prefer the taste of whole grain bread so that's what I eat. It's just like everything else that's not raw vegetables. Eat it in moderation and keep within your daily calorie goal.
  • sasab904
    sasab904 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started buying Ezekiel bread for something different. I agree with the other posts that all in moderations. Good Luck!
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Unless bread is a trigger food for you, I would definitely just work on portion control, like limit yourself to a certain number of pieces per day or week. As others have mentioned, completely "quitting" a food that you enjoy is kind of a recipe for failure...or at least a recipe for a sad rest-of-your-life.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Is there some sort of portion control I should be careful overstepping while eating whole grains? I'd love to put bread back in my life!!

Whole grains are fine. I think the big thing to avoid is the highly refined breads. It won't kill your diet but those things do pack in a lot of calories for such a small amount of food. In the end it's all about calories. Using whole grains just helps you get you fiber in too. There's no way I'm totally giving up bread. I had a nice slice of Louisiana crunch lemon creme cake last night. It was sooooooooooo...soooooooooooooooooo .. sooooooooooooooooooo good!

Everything in moderation of course. I wanted to eat the entire cake but just had a slice. That's how you eat properly.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I love bread and I bake my own bread. Like everything, I eat it in moderation and try to eat mainly whole grain, not white. In my opinion, cutting out foods completely that you love is asking for disaster, as how is that anywhere near sustainable for the rest of your life? A life without bread is on not worth living, in my opinion! :bigsmile: Portion control doesn't get the recognition it truly deserves.

Signed,
    An MFPer who lost 30 pounds and has maintained the loss for 5 months while never giving up bread.

I agree! :smokin:

I know that I will never stick to a diet that eliminates bread. Bread is the staple of life. :love:
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    I'm not much of a cook and convenience has definitely taken the place of healthy eating in my past. I'm looking for better and inventive ways to avoid this :)

Thanks for the comments thus far <3
    You may want to experiment with cooking. It's fun! You can make enough to have leftovers later in the week. If you can read, you can cook. Just measure and enjoy. What I make tastes, and looks, so mych better than what I can buy. I also find I can eat more, for few calories and WAY less sodium, when I make it myself. Cheaper too! :)

That being said, I don't go so far as making my own bread...mostly because when I used to, the smell drove me to want to devour the entire loaf before it even cooled! <pink face>