Tummy rolls or 'flaps'...are they here to stay??!?

Options
So I've seen a ton of before and after pictures where a significant amount of weight was lost in the belly area and it doesn't seem like there is a 'flap' there (for lack of a better term). Just prior to beginning here at MFP I started acquiring said 'flap' and I'm starting to wonder if it really will go away. I've lost 3 inches from my belly already but there is no notable change.

I talked to a friend of mine who lost 100+ lbs in about a year and she admitted that she still has that little bugger, though it is far less noticeable. Is this something that CAN go away with hard work, or am I doomed to a life hauling it around as a reminder of my former self? Any personal experiences would mean a lot to me -- I know it's not always easy sharing here as after 2 years this is my first time posting a new topic :blushing:

Thanks ahead of time!

Replies

• kbd388
    kbd388 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am curious to hear some answers to this as it is the very reason why I decided to start on my weight loss journey. One day, the flap just appeared, and I am trying my best to get rid of it.
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I also want to know. I am DETERMINED to lose mine! It is truly the only thing I HATE about my body!!!
  • karenlw75
    karenlw75 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I also am interested in the answers. I got a gym membership and joined here when I noticed my tummy was hanging over my pants when I WASN'T sitting down.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The reason SO many people still have rolls is they spent too much time concentrating on weight loss as compared to fat loss. They do this by eating too few calories, too much cardio or not enough weight training. Yes, cardio will help you burn more calories and can make you lose weight, but when you concentrate on heavy weight training (failing at 8-12 reps) and eating more sensible (~20% below your TDEE) your body will be more willing to maintain lean muscle mass and cut fat. Cutting fat will tighten your body up and will give you that look you what. This is how people get abs.
  • dslindy
    dslindy Posts: 17
    Options
    Unfortunately, after losing a significant amount of weight, that stretched out skin just does not go back to how we would like it. That's why they do skin removal surgery on those who can afford it (on the tv shows) in order to look good again. I think we're doomed. At least we'll be healthier and still look and feel much better ... except for the flap. :(
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Unfortunately, after losing a significant amount of weight, that stretched out skin just does not go back to how we would like it. That's why they do skin removal surgery on those who can afford it (on the tv shows) in order to look good again. I think we're doomed. At least we'll be healthier and still look and feel much better ... except for the flap. :(

This isn't always true. Skin elasticity is based on age and genetics. And a 25 year old has a greater chance to not have loose skin as compared to a 50 year old
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    The reason SO many people still have rolls is they spent too much time concentrating on weight loss as compared to fat loss. They do this by eating too few calories, too much cardio or not enough weight training. Yes, cardio will help you burn more calories and can make you lose weight, but when you concentrate on heavy weight training (failing at 8-12 reps) and eating more sensible (~20% below your TDEE) your body will be more willing to maintain lean muscle mass and cut fat. Cutting fat will tighten your body up and will give you that look you what. This is how people get abs.

Good post. Your skin will tighten up over time unless you were grossly obese.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    This is the #1 thing I am worried about, I am hoping my age helps me out a bit.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Also depends how much you've yo-yoed, how long you were obese, whether you are or were a smoker... Basically everything that can affect your skin. I'm screwed because only recently after most of my loss am I lifting weights after a obesity since childhood, awful health habits and having smoked for 12 years. Had I started my weight loss properly, eaten well and done things the correct way I wouldn't be in this mess. Sure, there's some hope for me yet. I have plenty of work still to do. But I've put myself at a large disadvantage due to ignorance and circumstance.

In short - lift weights, eat and hydrate properly and don't cut your calories by crazy amounts, and above all, be patient. That "skin" you'll be left with will likely have plenty of fat underneath.
  • DMarieLVT
    DMarieLVT Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies so far! And I'm definitely glad to know that I'm not the only one with this fear :/ I eat at or near my suggested daily intake from MFP (though I DO NOT eat back my exercise calories), do cardio as well as strength training and hydrate like crazy. I've never smoked (unless you count 2nd hand when I was a child) and I've never had children. If it doesn't go away, it is obviously no one's fault but my own. For now it's just one step at a time...I'm sure I will have plenty of time to worry about these types of things in another 60 lbs or so!

Thanks again! Keep the replies coming :flowerforyou:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on just how large you were and how long you stayed that way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Genetics, age, skin elasticity, how much you have to lose, skin hydration, all have something to do with it. From my experience, people that have had to lose more than 80lbs will more than likely have it (but it will differ in amount from person to person) regardless of age.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Oh and a way to check your skin elasticity is simple:

Place you hand palm down on a flat surface. Grab the skin on the back of your hand and pull up and stretch it out. Release it. The SLOWER is goes back flat, the less elastic your skin is. If it snaps back fast, then skin is "tight". If it goes back slow, then obviously skin elasticity has reduced.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nailtechbec
    nailtechbec Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was sure I'd be able to get rid of mine with plenty of ab work but someone informed me recently that it looks like my muscles tore/separated during pregnancy and it will NEVER go flat :-( very disappointing but I guess I could always get a tummy tuck, until then I'll just tuck it in my pants !!!! X
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It depends from person to person, I dropped a lot of weight and had to have surgery to remove it... I have seen others on here who got luckier... most people who develop a flap though rarely goes away entirely...

Edit: Weight loss was well worth it in spite of the extra skin, dont let that deter you!
  • benegesserit
    Options
    I got mine after having a bunch of kids. Some women lose it; some don't. It has to do with the elasticity of the skin, as well as age (skin loses its elasticity with age.)

Like the poster ^^ said, sometimes cosmetic surgery is the only way to get rid of it (although I think they like you to be of "normal" BMI first - probably depends on the doctor.)

Personally, even if I do get down to a lower BMI, I wouldn't choose to have surgery, given the recovery time, risks, etc. But it's an option for those who want it and are medically good candidates.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My belly was big and it went away. I currently only get ab work from batting practice but I lift weights. I think lifting weights burned more fat than cardio for my physique. I like the way my belly looks at a much higher weight than I expected.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I have it, I am hoping as I spend more time at this weight and keep working out I will lose it.

BUT if I do not, I am much happier and healthier with a lil belly skin than I was with an extra 130 pounds on my body.
  • heidiwebs
    heidiwebs Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump