Whole grains - I miss my bread :(

Options

Replies

• HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in dropping breads from my life. For people with intolerances, that's one thing but for weight loss it's another. I try to limit my white bread but whole grains are healthy and filling.
    This exactly.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that all grains are garbage and wheat especially is poison. You're better off not eating them. Trust me, after about a month you will barely even notice bread, not even the smell gets my attention any more, and I loved bread as much as the next fat guy ;)

Wow, garbage? OK might seem like poison if you are allergic but if not, this statement is nonsense.

The statement appears to be nonsense until you start reading about all the adverse reactions that people have to wheat, the fact that whole grains, especially wheat have many anti-nutrients in them that are intended for the survival of the plant to deter pests, the fact that birds are some of the only animals on the planet (including humans) that can actually biologically fully digest most grains.

Anyone can choose not to believe the research data, just like I choose to listen to it. I find that most people that are unwilling to give up grains though have addiction type responses to bread and sugar, and generally are weak willed in their diets...that's just my opinion and observations though, no offense intended.

It appears to be nonsense because it is nonsense. SOME people have problems digesting grains, gluten in particular (which is not in all grains). Just like some people have trouble digesting dairy, or many other foods. But the majority do not.

Anyone that has read all the research data, and not just what is presented in a book or blog, knows that grains are not poison. Just in reading this thread you can see that there are plenty of people eating grains and doing just fine.

Next you'll be telling us that legumes are poison too.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options

The best thing to do with "diet" books is to throw them as hard as you can, run as fast as you can to retrieve them, and repeat the process until you are tired. It's great cardio. Get the hardcovers if you can, they weigh more and will hold up better to repeated throwing.
    LOVE this! I may have to steal it. :P
  • benegesserit
    Options
    Like people have said above, it takes a couple of weeks, even a month to get your body not used to bread, rice, chips, etc. We are so used to the meat / vegetable / starch pattern for meals, that it involves re-learning cooking, as well as getting your body used to less carbs.

For a lot of people, though, it's not possible to go low-carb (around 50 gm/day, or even less) without upping the fat. Eating more fat is controversial, but for some people, it works to eat more fat and less carbs, while making sure to get enough protein and non-starchy vegetables.
  • jamiealdridge02
    jamiealdridge02 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I started buying Ezekiel bread for something different. I agree with the other posts that all in moderations. Good Luck!

I love Ezekiel bread. I don't believe in giving things up forever. Anything I cant maintain for the rest of my life wont work. I eat clean for he most part (no sugar white flour or processed foods) if you aren't ready for Ezekiel bread (it is good-but definitely different) try different types of whole grain breads until you find one you like. I do try to avoid bread at restaurants (the basket of it) because I will over eat. Good luck!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I eat bread every single day. I also still eat pasta and rice, not often but I have not cut them out.

I like flax seed bread @ Trader Joe's or 100 calorie whole wheat sandwich thins by orowheat.
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love bread. I miss it, but I still have it on occasion. If I'm going to have it, though, it's homemade in my own kitchen. The catch is, it takes 4 hours to make. So, yeah, I have to *really* want it to go through all of the effort.

I love a good turkey sandwich on my homemade, multigrain bread. I just hate how it screws up my macros.
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I just recently started cutting out most grains from my diet and, yes, I thought I would miss bread the most. But I don't. Now and again I have it, but not every day like I used to. I find I'm more full and my tummy is happier when I don't load it down with grains.
  • MandyMcAwesome
    MandyMcAwesome Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I tried Atkins one and went insane! Truth is, carbs, and bread, are brain foods. Cant stomach whole wheat grainey breads, try nature's own white wheat.

I like bread and so I eat it. Everyday. I log the calories and I try to stay pretty balanced.
  • jephry
    jephry Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I eat bread.

I also eat ice cream, cookies, cake, drink beer, wine, etc.

I don't believe that you need to give up anything.

This. It's so much about the calories, within reason of course. 1200 calories of protein, carbs and fats per day is one thing...1200 calories of processed crap is quite another. LOL
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    ...start reading about all the adverse reactions that people have to wheat...
    What people? Are you suggesting that because people with Celiac disease (1% of the population) can't consume wheat that we should all stop eating bread?

Without even trying you can read about the adverse affects of almost any food group, meats, fish, vegetables, etc. If I stopped eating all these foods becasue of what I read I'd be dead by now.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Bread is not the problem. It's peanuts (I know, I love them as much as you do but I am reformed). And lack of fruits and veggies. Try to get five fruits and veggies a day (2 fruits, 2 veggies, 1 salad) and eat as much whole grain bread you want. Limit peanuts and peanut butter to one serving. Peanut butter on bread is great. Look in my diary for ideas, and you can add me as a friend if you like !!!! If you have enough fruits and veggies, everything else will fall into place. If you don't know where to start, tell your doctor you want a referral to see a nutritionist or registered dietician.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I eat bread.

I also eat ice cream, cookies, cake, drink beer, wine, etc.

I don't believe that you need to give up anything.

:heart: moderation, moderation, moderation
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I typically eat 6 slices of toast with 3 tablespoons of peanut butter a day. Nothing wrong with bread or peanuts (unless you have an allergy), don't let the food nazi's scare you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I eat bread daily. About 45% of my calories come from carbs.
  • ohmissemily
    ohmissemily Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    sara lee 45 calorie per slice bread in whole wheat or multigrain. its low cal, low fat, low carb and good amount of fiber to minus from carbs which is always a plus :) its a bit more expensive, but with a lot of cut outs in your diet as in me, i make an effort to buy it. i buy in multi grain :)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

The best thing to do with "diet" books is to throw them as hard as you can, run as fast as you can to retrieve them, and repeat the process until you are tired. It's great cardio. Get the hardcovers if you can, they weigh more and will hold up better to repeated throwing.
    LOVE this! I may have to steal it. :P

Please feel free.

It's based on a very old joke here in Maine.

"You really only need one stick of wood to stay warm all winter. Simply take the stick and throw it out the second story window into deep snow, then go fetch it. Repeat the process until you are warm."
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    as a bread lover myself i found that drastically cutting my consumption has helped. i sedate my bread cravings with low carb whole wheat tortillas with a good meal and it seems to do the trick. if i'm eating a sandwich i'll usually throw one side of the bread away and eat it bagel style and i try to stay away from pasta as much as possible and switched my white rice to brown rice. these small changes have had a big impact, you can totally do it. for me i had to cut down completely because i cant be trusted with a loaf of bread in the house, seriously i will eat the whole damn thing lol
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I eat bread and see no reason to give it up. Picking one group or type of food to blame for the countries weight problem is retarded. It's not the bread, peanut butter, sugar, ice cream, pizza, or anything else; it's the gluttonous overeating and monster portions that we engulf without thinking. If you have a medical condition that places certain restrictions on your diet, then follow them. Otherwise portion control.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If you have some kind of food allergies or intolerance -- then I could understand eliminating bread. Otherwise, why? There's no proof that bread or anything makes us fat alone. Overeating is what makes us fat. So, enjoy your bread!