Struggling-

Options
Hello,

I am 30 years old and 312; i had lost 25 lbs last year and gained almost all of it back and now I am struggling so much; I have amazing support at work and home and with my family but its soo hard; and I listen to them and try and then fail; I can not stay consistent; I do good for a few weeks or days then fall off again... I am such a picky eater it would be so much better if I liked vegetables and fish and all those healthy snacks and food but I just don’t like much food.. has anyone every felt this way? What did you do to get through it? I am so discouraged and I don’t want to be fat anymore but I can’t motivate myself!!! I really want to do this but its getting harder and harder!!

Replies

• JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    People might not like this advice but here it is:

You can lose weight without eating healthy. It's possible. Obviously the healthier option would be lean proteins, veggies, healthy fats etc but it's not the ONLY way to lose weight.

My husband doesn't eat veggies at all (except corn). He doesn't eat fish (I don't either for that matter), he's lost 125lbs. He's done this by exercising (a lot) and eating less. That's it. Nothing fancy. One of the major things I've noticed that helped him was he cut out sauces (bbq, ketchup, ranch dressing etc) and bread is something he has very rarely (1-2x a week). Also we cut out sugars.

You can do this girl. Just make small changes and you will see a difference. If you mess up... THAT'S OKAY! Just get back on it. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to get there. What matters is that you take steps to keep moving in the right direction.

Good luck.
  • mscrumbyy
    mscrumbyy Posts: 116
    Options
    I used to think I was such a massively picky eater and that I didn't like anything either, but I soon learned to like healthy food once my taste for junk food died down. try finding ways of sneaking your veg (even in small doses) into meals you cook, mixing them in soups or smoothies so you can't taste the individual flavours/textures. Eventually I lost my constant cravings for junk and started enjoying fresh food and better meals more :smile: Feel free to add me if you like!

Plus like Jessy said, do more, eat less and even without a massive diet overhaul you'll find you lose still.
  • mctiernan
    mctiernan Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Look at your two beautiful children, that should be all the motivation you need. If you want to live a long and healthy life with them you need to get motivated.
  • sap_basis
    sap_basis Posts: 5
    Options
    I just wanted to add to the last post by saying in order to cut sugars you need to make sure you do not use the substitute sugars. They only keep your taste for sugar alive. Also, you don't have to cut sugar all at once. You can go down gradually till you stop it entirely. One more thing, cutting carbs like bread and potatoes is really good. My trick is to cut anything that is white, and use brown instead, like brown bread and whole wheat pasta (which cooks faster) and reduce salt intake. Hard but if it where easy then we wouldn't all be here!
  • dclaurin
    dclaurin Posts: 1
    Options
    I have to agree with JessyJ03. The biggest mistake people make when trying to lose weight is trying to change their diets too drastically in one shot. If you don't like fish and veggies, how can you expect yourself to stick to that as your every day diet? Small changes and portion control are probably the best first steps. If you love pizza, eat pizza, just cut back by a slice or two. Eventually all the small changes add up. Try not to get discouraged and resort to food for comfort. That will only make you feel worse in the end! You can do it, you just have to find the path that is right for YOU :smile:
  • nescegirl28
    nescegirl28 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advice and encouragement !! !! I guess i need to not be so tough on myself and just start again when i fall off the band wagon... I was trying to change everything all at once but i am going to work on portion control and then once that is mastered work on the healthy eating... it took me 30 years to get this heavy its not going to be overngiht that it goes away. :( Thank you!!
  • LovelyLathrop
    Options
    From a very young age I was about 90 pounds overweight. Losing weight and getting healthy is not an easy task. It takes a lot of dedication and hard work.. But what you need to remember is we all fail, even the top fitness icons. When we do fail the most important thing is to just get back up and keep going!!! What I do is allow myself to have one cheat day per week!! I'll have a yummy lunch, whatever I feel like :-) and the I will even treat myself to a big tasty desert.. I have to do that otherwise I miss the yummy food too much and I end up binging.. Bad bad. Have faith in yourself! You can do whatever you set your heart too. You got it !!!! The main thing that really helped me is these shakes by the company ViSalus.. They're meal replacements, they're tasty (taste like cake mix), they have all the nutrition for the day in one, plus you can get them for free... Truly awesome. My mother has lost 70 pounds by replacing a meal a day.. Life saver!!! Feel free to add me as a friend! I would love to give you words of encouragement.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

You can lose weight without eating healthy. It's possible. Obviously the healthier option would be lean proteins, veggies, healthy fats etc but it's not the ONLY way to lose weight.

My husband doesn't eat veggies at all (except corn). He doesn't eat fish (I don't either for that matter), he's lost 125lbs. He's done this by exercising (a lot) and eating less. That's it. Nothing fancy. One of the major things I've noticed that helped him was he cut out sauces (bbq, ketchup, ranch dressing etc) and bread is something he has very rarely (1-2x a week). Also we cut out sugars.

You can do this girl. Just make small changes and you will see a difference. If you mess up... THAT'S OKAY! Just get back on it. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to get there. What matters is that you take steps to keep moving in the right direction.

Good luck.

This is good advice. It's really all calories in, calories out. You just need a deficit in your diet. That can be achieved by eating less and/or exercising more. It's really that simple.

Eat what you like. Make small healthy changes, one at a time. Find things you do like. I personally, struggle with veggies. But I've found that I love raw spinach. So, I put it in and on almost everything. You'll find some things you enjoy.

Good luck!
  • JessyJ03
    Options
    Also if being hungry is the problem you can add Ground Flax Meal to your foods for extra fiber that will keep you feeling full.

I also use Chia Seeds. They expand something like 9x their size once they are digested, which in turn makes your tummy feel like you got more food than you did. You can add these to your foods too and there is no taste value. I add to oatmeal, potatoes, basically anything.

Chia seeds can be found at a local market. I pay around 6.99 a lb and that lasts a few months. Same with the Ground Flax Meal.
  • kimberly2504
    kimberly2504 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It can be really hard to feel like you just have to jump into something completely and change everything you do in one day. It's just overwhelming and setting yourself up for failure. Take baby steps, pick something you want to change and work on that, then add more when you want to. As you start to see success that motivates you even more, and probably one day something will click.

You can do it! I'm sending you a friend request. I'm at the start of this journey too, and would love to have you as a support and offer you support back.
  • nescegirl28
    Options
    Also if being hungry is the problem you can add Ground Flax Meal to your foods for extra fiber that will keep you feeling full.

I also use Chia Seeds. They expand something like 9x their size once they are digested, which in turn makes your tummy feel like you got more food than you did. You can add these to your foods too and there is no taste value. I add to oatmeal, potatoes, basically anything.

Chia seeds can be found at a local market. I pay around 6.99 a lb and that lasts a few months. Same with the Ground Flax Meal.

I am going to give that a try if its no taste. Thanks for the tip!!
  • nescegirl28
    Options
  • JessyJ03
    Options
    Both items have no taste value at all. You can mix them with foods and they give you the added fullness without some nasty after taste. Trust me I'm a pretty picky eater myself!
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Take this advice. Decreasing portion sizes and cutting out certain things can make a big difference. And gradually, you can add in foods and/or cut down on certain foods. If you drink a lot of soda, you can start decreasing the amount week by week. If you love McDonalds, try eating the smaller size of fries and only one patty. Forego the special sauce (a little mustard goes a long way, though). Don't eat the bun. Etc. Over time, these things will add up. And you can add on more changes to your diet as you go on. IMO, it's healthier to not be obese than it is to eat 100% clean.