Replies

• elri1908
    elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MrsMangler
    MrsMangler Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    At your weight there is not a snowball's hope in hell that 1500 calories are too much!!

Please don't listen to astrampe. I totally agree with Springer007 and AmyP619. If you are a female in your 40s-50s, 1500 calories is too much to eat for weightloss. Your scale agrees with me. "Eat for the body you want, not the body you have." GL!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Nah...don't listen to me - I eat a minimum of 1800 calories per day - some days up to 2300, lift weights 3x a week, runs 3x per week and am peri menopausal and in my forties ....

Oh, and am slowly but surely (by accident?:noway: ) getting rid of bodyfat and inches to the point of being a jean size smaller and 5% less bodyfat than six months ago....
    It is probably all in my mind and does not work at all, I know, but I just like doing it......:laugh: :
    And I only have about 10lbs left to lose - althoug frankly my dear, I don't give a damn about the 10lbs on the scale - I would be happy with another 4% less bodyfat....
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    As much as I would like to debate most of the information in here, I would rather show some math. Your estimated BMR is 1739 calories (I don't have your height, so I took the average female height of 5'5). You are at least moderately active since you workout 5-6 days a week. And from there we can form a deficit and figure out your caloric needs.

TDEE = 1739 *1.55 = 2695 <-- about how many calories you burn on average.
    CN = 2695 *.8 = 2156 <--- about how many calories you should eat.

I would suggest eating 1850-2100 calories a day. I generally also suggest eating 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. Now, the one kicker in this equation could be your hormones since you are premenopausal. And unfortunately math doesn't equate for this hormones.

Now, I know a lot of people will say, that is too many calories, but I can tell you I have worked with women who are 5'2, 120 lbs and doing programs like insanity and they eat 2000 calories and still continue to cut body fat. What most people don't realize is that you have to fuel your body to burn fat and not muscle. You can do 1200 calories a day, but you have a great chance that your body will catabolize it's own muscle to create energy.

BTW, when I first did p90x, I ate 1800 calories and didn't lose any weight, any inches or even a lb. I then did chalean extreme (a light version of p90x) and ate 2600 calories, and then I lost 11 lbs, 3% body fat and 6" and I am very close to my goals.

Solid advice!

I'm 5'6" and I currently weigh 192. I started at 230 in December. When I first started, I was eating 1200 calories, as set by MFP. That was too difficult, so I upped it to 1400, then 1500. My BMR back then was around 1700. I never net by BMR. My hair started falling out. I had no energy for my workouts and felt like I was hitting a wall all the time. I tried doing the Spike Diet. It worked for awhile, but not for long.
    Then, I started doing some research and reading posts by people who were smarter and more successful than me. And now, I aim to eat 1800-2100 per day. My hair is great and I have tons of energy. I'm training for a half-marathon. I'm losing weight steadily.....but I'm losing more inches and reshaping my body.

I'm not losing 10lbs a month, but I can see this as being sustainable for the rest of my life.

Good luck!
  • LoraF83
    Options
    At your weight there is not a snowball's hope in hell that 1500 calories are too much!!

Please don't listen to astrampe. I totally agree with Springer007 and AmyP619. If you are a female in your 40s-50s, 1500 calories is too much to eat for weightloss. Your scale agrees with me. "Eat for the body you want, not the body you have." GL!

I personally don't want a body that will restrict me to 1500 calories every day for the rest of my life.........
  • Springer007
    Springer007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Nah...don't listen to me - I eat a minimum of 1800 calories per day - some days up to 2300, lift weights 3x a week, runs 3x per week and am peri menopausal and in my forties ....

Oh, and am slowly but surely (by accident?:noway: ) getting rid of bodyfat and inches to the point of being a jean size smaller and 5% less bodyfat than six months ago....
    It is probably all in my mind and does not work at all, I know, but I just like doing it......:laugh: :

No need to be a smart *kitten*. :-) I'm sure its working for you, but as you said. "slowly but surely". IF DONE RIGHT, there are faster ways to safely lose weight. Not everyone has the patience to lose a pound a month. Once again, Im not talking "crash diet" Im talking more "reasonable results in less time" at the price of a little bit of will power. There is no free ride when dieting. You get the results directly related to the blood, sweat, tears, and effort you put in. If you only have the will power for a pound a month, then thats your zone. Personally I need to see more.
  • Springer007
    Options

I personally don't want a body that will restrict me to 1500 calories every day for the rest of my life.........

Dont worry, judging by your pictures, you dont have one.
    You can probably do like 1800 and maintain. Some people are different.
  • LoraF83
    Options

You're right I don't.

But I do have a body that is training for a half marathon, that can last through back to back advanced spin classes, that lifts heavy weights and that competes in mud-runs and goes rock climbing for fun.

I'll probably never wear a 2 piece bathing suit, but I'm really proud of my progress and what I've been able to achieve without having to be hungry.
  • astrampe
    Options

No need to be a smart *kitten*. :-) I'm sure its working for you, but as you said. "slowly but surely". IF DONE RIGHT, there are faster ways to safely lose weight. Not everyone has the patience to lose a pound a month. Once again, Im not talking "crash diet" Im talking more "reasonable results in less time" at the price of a little bit of will power. There is no free ride when dieting. You get the results directly related to the blood, sweat, tears, and effort you put in. If you only have the will power for a pound a month, then thats your zone. Personally I need to see more.

Luckily it's a free world, so smartasses allowed....:flowerforyou:
    Not everybody wants to lose a bunch of muscle mass and live on three carrots a day for the rest of their lives......
    And sweetie, you have no idea what willpower actually means if you want fast results at the cost of losing muscle mass and messing with your metabolism...

Enjoy seeing more YOUR way - With MY way (and it was NOT by only losing only a pound a month!) I saw myself from a weak, fat and starving woman doing 1200 cal diets in order to get quick results, go on to become a strong, healthy and fit woman who is allowed to eat well and enough.....

If losing 60lbs and keeping it off for four years is your idea of "only having the willpower for a pound a month" then good for you ...
    Luckily I am not too concerned what some random stranger with weird ideas on the internet think....
    cheers!:drinker:
  • astrampe
    Options

You're right I don't.

But I do have a body that is training for a half marathon, that can last through back to back advanced spin classes, that lifts heavy weights and that competes in mud-runs and goes rock climbing for fun.

I'll probably never wear a 2 piece bathing suit, but I'm really proud of my progress and what I've been able to achieve without having to be hungry.

Sheez...didn't you know "real women" (in some weird guys' minds) should live on carrot sticks and do 20 mins a day on the elliptical and have hip bones sticking out??? :laugh: :happy: :flowerforyou:
    You look great btw!
    Would love to do a warrior dash one of these days! But then again, that might not have the "There is no free ride when dieting. You get the results directly related to the blood, sweat, tears, and effort you put in. If you only have the will power for a pound a month, then thats your zone. " piece of crap our "clever" friend above spouted.....:tongue:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

This was a very ignorant post that has no validity to it. You should spend some time researching as this is the same mindset that has made it very difficult to for men and women to lose weight. I have worked with well over 200 people on this board to design calorie plans and 100% of them are eating more than 1500 calories. All but two have had success. And the two that didn't have hormonal issues.
  • MrsMangler
    MrsMangler Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    astrampe, kudos for your hard work and dedication. It sounds like you are working very hard for your body. However, I'm not sure the original poster is quite to your level of exercise and fitness yet. Given the chance, I'm sure she will figure out where she needs to be. And I'm sorry we can't be friends.
  • Springer007
    Options

This was a very ignorant post that has no validity to it. You should spend some time researching as this is the same mindset that has made it very difficult to for men and women to lose weight. I have worked with well over 200 people on this board to design calorie plans and 100% of them are eating more than 1500 calories. All but two have had success. And the two that didn't have hormonal issues.

You tell her man. She has lost 28 lbs and you have lost 3............

If you have been out here as long as you say you have, and have helped as many people as you say you have, then you should know that different things work for different people. But before you explore the MANY approaches, you sould try to set a base line for yourself by trying the calorie restriction method.
    Thats what this site is about. At the Base of MFP is weight loss by the calorie deficit method. Its not a "high protine Atkins diet" or points counting diet. Its a calorie diet. So once you find how many you need to cut back and lose weight.... then you go from there and tweek as needed. So watch it before you call someone or their advice ignorant. Ignorant is allowing yourself 2600 calories a day, base, and expecting to lose weight. You might just learn something from that "ignorant" girl.
  • psuLemon
    Options

If you have been out here as long as you say you have, and have helped as many people as you say you have, then you should know that different things work for different people. But before you explore the MANY approaches, you sould try to set a base line for yourself by trying the calorie restriction method.
    Thats what this site is about. At the Base of MFP is weight loss by the calorie deficit method. Its not a "high protine Atkins diet" or points counting diet. Its a calorie diet. So once you find how many you need to cut back and lose weight.... then you go from there and tweek as needed. So watch it before you call someone or their advice ignorant. Ignorant is allowing yourself 2600 calories a day, base, and expecting to lose weight. You might just learn something from that "ignorant" girl.

I hate to tell you, I lost 16 lbs and 6% body fat in 6 months, I then gained 10 lbs back intentionally, through a bulk phase (thence my ticker). I am now 197 lbs (lost 3 lbs since I started going Paleo) @ 12% body fat. So maybe you should research before make a one off ignorant comment. If you really want to make this into a competition, I can just go through my inbox and post the consistent PM's I get from helping others. Oh hell, why not, lol. One of my personal favorites. Women 36 years old, 5'5, 154 lbs at 28% body fat, eating 1400-1600 calories a day and stall. I changed it to 2100 calories on the 4 lifting days, 1800 calories on the 3 non exercise days. In 12 weeks, here is her response.

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie"
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ps- tickers mean absolutely nothing without know their story. What if my ticker said I gained 10 lbs? Whose to say that wasn't 10 lbs of muscle? Oh and this is what I actually did. I was 190 @ 12% body fat and then bulked to 200@ 12% body fat.

Also, just because someone lost 30 lbs, doesn't mean it was 30 lbs of fat. It could be 15 lbs of fat and 15 lbs of muscle as commonly seen by people doing HCG or VLCD's.

My question is, do you track your body fat along with your weight?

And cheers to you for knowing my story :drinker: . If you would like to continue to play, please let me know and I will gladly help you. I can even set you up on a higher calorie diet so you can cut faster. If you don't believe it works, talk to a MFP member, waterboy. Helloitsdan took him from 1300 calories to 2000 and he is cutting fat faster.

Or even better, contact tim_bayliss or even look him up. He has photos (before and after) of what happened when I took him from 2000 calories to 2800 calories. These are 30 day photos. I am sure you can contact him and ask yourself as well.
  • Springer007
    Options

I hate to tell you, I lost 16 lbs and 6% body fat in 6 months, I then gained 10 lbs back intentionally, through a bulk phase (thence my ticker). I am now 197 lbs (lost 3 lbs since I started going Paleo) @ 12% body fat. So maybe you should research before make a one off ignorant comment. If you really want to make this into a competition, I can just go through my inbox and post the consistent PM's I get from helping others. Oh hell, why not, lol. One of my personal favorites. Women 36 years old, 5'5, 154 lbs at 28% body fat, eating 1400-1600 calories a day and stall. I changed it to 2100 calories on the 4 lifting days, 1800 calories on the 3 non exercise days. In 12 weeks, here is her response.

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Stephanie"

Yes I have seen you posting this same PM all over the site like you are some sort of hero / nutritionist. You are so proud of it. Good for you. Give yourself a pat on the back. Congrats.
  • vsecret921
    vsecret921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I found the best thing to help me was to up my calories to 1500 and to keep my Carbs 100 or less! I noticed instantly a change.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Stephanie"

Yes I have seen you posting this same PM all over the site like you are some sort of hero / nutritionist. You are so proud of it. Good for you. Give yourself a pat on the back. Congrats.

I not a nutritionist, but actually help people. If you want more, please contact the guy below. YOu can see his 30 day pictures after he went from 2000 calories to 2800 calories.

tim_bayliss
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Wow, gotta bump for later.
  • Springer007
    Options

And cheers to you for knowing my story :drinker: . If you would like to continue to play, please let me know and I will gladly help you. I can even set you up on a higher calorie diet so you can cut faster. If you don't believe it works, talk to a MFP member, waterboy. Helloitsdan took him from 1300 calories to 2000 and he is cutting fat faster.

Or even better, contact tim_bayliss or even look him up. He has photos (before and after) of what happened when I took him from 2000 calories to 2800 calories. These are 30 day photos. I am sure you can contact him and ask yourself as well.

Thanks but I am doing great on my own following the base MFP concept.