Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Running and legs rubbing?

So, I have stretch marks on the inside of my legs and when I run or bike or walk with shorts on, they tend to rub and irritate my skin. Like, my skin turns bright red and sometimes welts up and bleeds. Does anyone know anyway to prevent this when exercising? Because adding sweat to a problem only makes it worse haha and it's starting to get too hot to run with pants on.

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Vasoline. No, seriously..............
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Product called body glide - sold in running stores and some sport big box ones as well

I use it on my bra line to avoid chafing
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Lanocane anti chafe cream. It's the bomb. And cheap too.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Wear longer leg shorts
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Vaseline would be cheap...if not vaseline , use body glide
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    I was going to say body glide....but also recently thought of this cheaper option: what about deoderant!? It "glides" on and makes you less "sticky" under your arms, why not your thighs?? I plan to try it next time I run b/c the pain of what you are describing....is worse than the pain of running itself. :/
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    I've heard baby powder can do wonders.

Could also try getting a pair of spandex shorts to wear under the shorts. They're usually long enough and it'll protect your skin from the rubbing.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    I wear nike dri fit spandex under my shorts
  • bkweibel
    bkweibel Posts: 77
    I have seen advertisements for a Gold Bond product. I don't know the exact name, but it looks like a deodorant container. You rub it on and it is supposed to help specifically with that. I was starting running as exercise and used to have the same problem. I have been sidelined with foot surgery, but when I get the all clear, I am going to try again, using this product.
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    You're gonna either have to try longer shorts or the Body Glide...sometimes I use BOTH!
  • iconnor
    iconnor Posts: 90 Member
    A lot of running and cycling stores have things like body glide which looks like a deodorant stick, but you can put it wherever you chafe. http://www.shop.runpacers.com/Body-Glide-Anti-Chafe-Balm-45-OZ-BodyGlide.htm

I use it on my legs and feet to avoid blisters and chafing.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    I don't wear shorts to run in. My legs would hurt too much. lol

I wear these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-Now-Womens-Striped-Yoga-Judo-17-Pant/19598642

This particular style is sold out, but there's others. They're a very light, soft material, so they aren't too hot (and I run in warm, humid FL weather).
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    I wear nike dri fit spandex under my shorts

Yes!! Those are amazing!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    deodorant works for me. seriously lol i use the dove clinical strength when i know i'm gonna have chaffed legs.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    I wear running tights - it is the best thing I ever did! No more chafing at all!! I have 3 pairs of knee length ones and wear them whatever the weather and whatever the season.
  • I use deodorant beneath some nike pro-combat under shorts. Get as tight fitting ones as possible and you'll have no issues with leg rub.

Dry legs = Comfortable legs.
  • Aquaphor also works. Make sure that your shorts are of a wicking fabric (not cotton). You would benefit from buying compression running shorts and wear other shorts over top if you are not comfortable wearing just the compression shorts.

It the area is small enough, you can also cover it in a bandaid.
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    i just wear spandex.
  • misao1994
    misao1994 Posts: 78
    Thanks every one! Yeah, I was wearing longer spandex Victoria Secret pants, but they ended up ripping from the stretching and then fabric running together. I'll have to try some of the products you suggest and go invest in a nice pair of either knee length spandex pants or put spandex under my shorts!
  • I don't have an answer, but I have the exact same problem! My stretch marks actually start bleeding if I run long enough. It's disgusting and really painful. I'll have to try some of these ideas! :)