Can you recommend a HRM?

Options
2»

Replies

• lmeslie
    lmeslie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4F and I love it! I bought it on Amazon for around $70. It was definitely worth it to me to get a more accurate reading of how many calories I am burning during workouts. Just make sure you read the instructions on any HRM and rinse the electrodes after each workout. Mine stays very accurate and I never lose a signal.
  • Mommagoose4
    Mommagoose4 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    How about recommendations for one that's NOT worn on the wrist? I'm not a watch person and really don't want to wear one in that manner. Anyone have any personal experience with ones like that? Or alternately, one's that are just the monitor part and use a smartphone? There are lots of those out there from what I've seen, but I'd love to hear about some personal experiences with them!

I think the Polar models all come with a chest strap as well as the watch band
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I just ordered a Polar FT4. Can't wait!

Do you mind me asking how much you have paid? I can't find any in my price range unfortunately.

Amazon has used ones if you want cheaper....
  • Jess0
    Jess0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How about recommendations for one that's NOT worn on the wrist? I'm not a watch person and really don't want to wear one in that manner. Anyone have any personal experience with ones like that? Or alternately, one's that are just the monitor part and use a smartphone? There are lots of those out there from what I've seen, but I'd love to hear about some personal experiences with them!

I use the Zephyr HxM Bluetooth one, paired with my phone. You wear the strap around your chest, and there's a little bit that snaps on that is the transmitter of the thing. It unsnaps so you can detach it and charge it. I've had it for a few weeks now, and it's great. I use it with the SportsTracker Pro app on my Android phone. It was simple to set up, and it works perfectly. The first time I used it, I didn't have the strap big enough so the thing snapped off the strap, but that was total user error. Ever since then, I've had zero problems.

I thought I read somewhere that it's safe for swimming, too, but of course I can't find that info on the Amazon page right now.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    :laugh: i messed up. Sorry
    [/quote

???
  • janemem
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I just ordered a Polar FT4. Can't wait!

Do you mind me asking how much you have paid? I can't find any in my price range unfortunately.

Amazon has used ones if you want cheaper....

I can't find any used, only new for £49.99
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    For those in the US, I found this site to be helpful: http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com

At least for the Polars, they have feature comparisons between the various models.

And their pricing seems to be excellent.
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    By the way, if you don't like to wear a wrist model, the Fitbit is tiny and can be stuck in your pocket.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    By the way, if you don't like to wear a wrist model, the Fitbit is tiny and can be stuck in your pocket.
    Does that do your HR? I thought I read somewhere it didn't...
  • janjan369
    janjan369 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I vote for Polar FT4 also - I love it!
  • geminigrl622
    geminigrl622 Posts: 144
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 but I want a Polar RS300X G1 GPS! I sooo need this one.
  • jenefrmthablok
    Options
    I was just researching this very topic today! I currently have an Oregon Scientific HRM, but I firmly believe this is something where you get what you pay for! When I go the gym using my current HRM, it tracks anywhere from 100-200 calories less burned as the elliptical machine is stating - and the elliptical is picking up the signal of my heart rate from my chest strap! As soon as I can afford to, I'm switching over to a Polar. Here's an article I found too in researching:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/490909-the-accuracy-of-calories-burned-in-polar-heart-rate-monitors/
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT4 is a decent one, but on Amazon you can get the FT7 (next model up which is greatly improved) for the same price as the FT4 as long as you're not picky about the color.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

I have the Motoactv. It clips onto your clothing. It is however fairly expensive, but It is also a MP3 player, GPS, and many other things. So.. i think it was worth it.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If you're not fussed on getting a flash one - Lidl has just advertised that from tomorrow they are selling some for only £12.99.

I'm going to get one tomorrow - would love a polarF7 but can't justify it atm and from what I read no HRM is 100 accurate anyway so thought I'd give this a go.

Think they have a link on their website if you want to check it out - a few others UK users were posting the link earlier on my homepage.

Thanks for that. I've just looked on their website and it looks like just what I'm after and the price is definitely better than I thought I'd need to pay.
    I can't get to my local branch until Friday so I'm going to keep fingers and toes crossed that they'll still have some in stock.
    Thank you once again. :flowerforyou:

Might be worth ringing them & ask to reserve you one if you can pay over the phone - worst they can say is no ?
  • janemem
    Options
    If you're not fussed on getting a flash one - Lidl has just advertised that from tomorrow they are selling some for only £12.99.

I'm going to get one tomorrow - would love a polarF7 but can't justify it atm and from what I read no HRM is 100 accurate anyway so thought I'd give this a go.

Think they have a link on their website if you want to check it out - a few others UK users were posting the link earlier on my homepage.

Thanks for that. I've just looked on their website and it looks like just what I'm after and the price is definitely better than I thought I'd need to pay.
    I can't get to my local branch until Friday so I'm going to keep fingers and toes crossed that they'll still have some in stock.
    Thank you once again. :flowerforyou:

Might be worth ringing them & ask to reserve you one if you can pay over the phone - worst they can say is no ?

I tried that already. If I could get there tomorrow morning they'd keep one for me but they won't hold it until Friday. They couldn't tell me how many they would have in total either so it'll just be a case of hoping and preying not many people in Braintree and surrounding areas want one, lol!