Vertigo andr exercise

Options
Anyone else suffering from vertigo and trying to exercise?

I find toning and weight lifting no problem, but cardio (running, spinning, jump rope) to be really tough when the vertigo kicks in.

So far, kick boxing and rowing seem to work the best in terms of maintaining stronger cardio levels and not feeling completely overcome with nausea and dizziness!

Anyone else with similar issue and solutions? =)

Replies

• mom22qties
    mom22qties Posts: 47
    Options
    Same problems here. I have BPPV. I have not found any solution what so ever to this. I just try to plug along the best that I can. I use Dramamine for the nausea and dizziness. I also take Singular regularly b/c sinus problems- which seems to effect my vertigo. Add me as a friend and maybe we can help eachother find things to cope. :)
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    I have positional vertigo, which makes some exercises completely out of my realm (think squat thrusts!).

I take Meclazine when its bad, and Dramamine when its not - I am able to:
    Run
    Bike
    Lift
    Do most things on Insanity (DVD)
    30DS
    hike
    Zumba (makes me a little off, but not bad)

Sadly, mountain climbing is out for me now... I used to love doing that... sigh...

If you need to, go see a neurologist - they can get you a script for Meclazine - within usually 2 days, you are completely back to normal - but always keep some on hand - it can rear its head at any time. I carry mine with me all the time!!
  • jrmc83
    jrmc83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I take longer to transition exercises. Like today, I started 30ds. Never had a problem before ever in my life but vertigo showed up about 2 weeks ago and today I had to transition between exercises really slowly. I've been closing my eyes when it hits and it seems to help me. I mostly get the dizziness while laying down though.
  • LauraArielle
    Options
    Same problems here. I have BPPV. I have not found any solution what so ever to this. I just try to plug along the best that I can. I use Dramamine for the nausea and dizziness. I also take Singular regularly b/c sinus problems- which seems to effect my vertigo. Add me as a friend and maybe we can help eachother find things to cope. :)

Welcome to the club =)
    I was told by one doctor that enduring the vertigo (by doing a specific exercise that would typically bring it on ex. squats) eventually helps stop the triggering of vertigo over time.
    I'm trying it! It's tough right now, still very dizzy etc. but we'll see...
  • LauraArielle
    Options
    I have positional vertigo, which makes some exercises completely out of my realm (think squat thrusts!).

I take Meclazine when its bad, and Dramamine when its not - I am able to:
    Run
    Bike
    Lift
    Do most things on Insanity (DVD)
    30DS
    hike
    Zumba (makes me a little off, but not bad)

Sadly, mountain climbing is out for me now... I used to love doing that... sigh...

If you need to, go see a neurologist - they can get you a script for Meclazine - within usually 2 days, you are completely back to normal - but always keep some on hand - it can rear its head at any time. I carry mine with me all the time!!

Thanks for the advice! =)
    I hope mountain climbing will become an option again soon!
  • LauraArielle
    Options
    I take longer to transition exercises. Like today, I started 30ds. Never had a problem before ever in my life but vertigo showed up about 2 weeks ago and today I had to transition between exercises really slowly. I've been closing my eyes when it hits and it seems to help me. I mostly get the dizziness while laying down though.

I guess it really is different for everyone.
    I suffer from it chronically due to an inner ear problem, and laying down is almost the only thing that helps!

Best of luck to you! I sometimes try doing more reps of one exercise, but do less exercises in one day. Makes the workout week a bit more diverse and helps cutdown on the dizziness etc.
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I used to have vertigo real bad before! It has gone away now.. Idk, it's really hard to even try to work out!! Please be careful :flowerforyou:

*oh and i love your quote! It IS okay to love cheese! cheese is magical!
  • LauraArielle
    Options
    I used to have vertigo real bad before! It has gone away now.. Idk, it's really hard to even try to work out!! Please be careful :flowerforyou:

*oh and i love your quote! It IS okay to love cheese! cheese is magical!

Thank you! You are right about cheese being magical...!!! Haha!